Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is is better to drive your own car or to be dropped off the first week?

Comment

• Originally posted by sgtmccarty
      Is is better to drive your own car or to be dropped off the first week?
      It doesn't matter. If you live far away, it's best to car-pool. But it doesn't matter to the staff.

Yes, you will have time to study. Most days are full, but you will have time to study. Lot's of people who travel from afar use the commute to study together.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere
        It doesn't matter. If you live far away, it's best to car-pool. But it doesn't matter to the staff.

Yes, you will have time to study. Most days are full, but you will have time to study. Lot's of people who travel from afar use the commute to study together.
        So the games don't start in the parking lot?

Comment

So the games don't start in the parking lot?
          Oh they might. But if that occurs, it will occur whether you have a car there or not. It really doesn't matter. Don't expect Parris Island.

Comment

• Don't carpool the first week(unless you are the one driving). You want to make sure you still have a ride home come friday.

Comment

If people have trouble with the academic's, is there study groups??

Also is there time to study at the end of the day?

You should have 2 hours for study at the end of the day, but they also use that time for other crap like getting fitted for equipment...

That was good advice not to car pool the first week or so as most of those who will quit will do so then and you don't want to be stranded. One of the guys I commuted with quit week 6, but he just didn't go back to the academy... Also, some sessions get held back longer than others, and I was always waiting on Friday for the other guy I commutted with. I would have preferred to travel by myself...
              Last edited by wannabeenytrp; 12-21-2006, 08:20 AM.
              Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

• Originally posted by WishIKnew
                Don't carpool the first week(unless you are the one driving). You want to make sure you still have a ride home come friday.

LOL, I didn't think of that.

Comment

• Winter Running

While running during the winter at the academy should we have some
                  long johns for the -10 degree weather?

Any suggestions for the first day?

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                    Don't worry about the running in the cold, they will have hot chocolate stations every mile or so to keep you warm...
                    I certainly hope you made that comment in jest. Some of your other comments on this forum in your short membership here have been less than nice. Until you have done 1 full day behind those walls at Albany... I suggest you keep your comments to yourself.
                    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• During the early am daily run (3 mile loop)
                      is the loop a formation run or individual effort?

Comment

During the early am daily run (3 mile loop)
                        is the loop a formation run or individual effort?
                        I can't believe a prior military would care about long johns... Don't let me bring up my stories about running in Ft Drum every morning in sub zero temps...

Once you start running you will warm up so I highly suggest not wearing long johns... You will probably want to take your sweats off after the first mile or so. Also, you will need every spare inch of room in the academy and trust me the small space long johns may take up could be a small bit too much... Having said that I would wait to see what everyone else has brought for the first week. You could leave excess items in your car, but you may not get a chance to get back to your car the first few weeks or so.

In the beginning you will run in formation with everyone, but eventually they will split you into groups based on your running ability.

Start date is Jan 15th right, so best of luck...
                        Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

• It only takes me about a block and a half to start sweating, mostly my question was for other people, since it seams I'm the only one posting questions for this class.
                          Yes, less than two weeks left!

My understanding, no matter how prepared you are you can't do anything right?

Comment

My understanding, no matter how prepared you are you can't do anything right?
                            Everyone screws up, but the frequency at which you do it is the important factor… and don't be the first one to screw up. Don't worry if you get some attention for a while, because, inevitably, someone else will do something to draw the attention away from you for a while.

The best way to pass the time at the academy is to pick a few of your favorite songs and sing them throughout the day in the bathroom during breaks and in your room.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState
                              Everyone screws up, but the frequency at which you do it is the important factor… and don't be the first one to screw up. Don't worry if you get some attention for a while, because, inevitably, someone else will do something to draw the attention away from you for a while.

The best way to pass the time at the academy is to pick a few of your favorite songs and sing them throughout the day in the bathroom during breaks and in your room.

I can't think of a better post. I was one of the recruits who had some attention for a while... but eventually someone took the attention from me. I breezed through the academics without spending my weekends studying... PT killed me because I HATE running. Situps and pushups all day but running sucks... which is funny since I played soccer and lacrosse when I was a kid. It took me a while to figure out but Enter Sandman, One, and Fight Fire With Fire can easily get you through the first half of the run.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• for all you going to the academy. if your on the forum to begin with your in the right frame of mind. when it comes to long johns for the weather, just bring what they told you to bring and wear what they tell you to wear. when it comes to academics just study every chance you get until you understand the ciriculum. i barely graduated high school with a 70 average because i hated high school. i did well in the academy cause i wanted it. just show up motivated and you'll do just fine! just remember its part of the application process for this great job and everyone needs to go through it whether prior cop or military. good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9983 users online. 511 members and 9472 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X