300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    Or at least the ATOs don't have to show up until the 1st, which could mean Nov 30th for the recruits...
    One of our guys here is going back for a third class. Yikes.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by warrior 76 View Post
      Here i am not talking about the facts, not everyone who score high has the same life experience and caliber as a men or women to be in a position where you can take up the responsibility to SERVE AND PROTECT. I apologize if i offended you in anyway.
      I thought the BI & Psych Dr. determined "life experience?"
      So, basically, if they consider your life experience worthy, you pass/fail. I am pretty low on the list of 200 that showed up this past weekend. I can see where the frustration sets when someone scores 1 or 2 points higher than you even though they do not have "life experience." They can have an advantage over you. But these people took the same exam and went through the same process. So, I don't think anyone has an overwhelming advantage over another. Military vets may handle hostile conditions better than a civilian. On the other hand, a civilian may handle civilian life (which is a main necessity) better than a military vet.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
        One of our guys here is going back for a third class. Yikes.
        He wouldn't be one of three brothers on the job. A slight bit bigger than your avg guy

Comment

• Originally posted by mwonger80 View Post
          I thought the BI & Psych Dr. determined "life experience?"
          So, basically, if they consider your life experience worthy, you pass/fail. I am pretty low on the list of 200 that showed up this past weekend. I can see where the frustration sets when someone scores 1 or 2 points higher than you even though they do not have "life experience." They can have an advantage over you. But these people took the same exam and went through the same process. So, I don't think anyone has an overwhelming advantage over another. Military vets may handle hostile conditions better than a civilian. On the other hand, a civilian may handle civilian life (which is a main necessity) better than a military vet.
          well said and i agree with you. not taking anything away from the men and women who scored well on the test and complete the hiring process with flying colors. they deserve to be hired according to the hiring process which have filtered lots of candidates and provided grounds for decision but still there are some cracks in the hiring process.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Avery2000 View Post
              Yeah, the whole test thing is kind of stupid and unfair. I really don't think scoring a point or 2 better than someone makes me more qualified but I guess they have to rank people in an objective manner somehow. I will say though, i am ranked in the 90s and scored 102.XX, close to 103, so it looks to me like the top 2 or 3 hundred are all military guys. I have a feeling other than those guys off the last test no non military types are going to get in.

I'm ranked right around 300 and I declined to use my vet points. I scored a 99.xx without them. I guess I'd have a lot better shot at this class if I used them but I still think I made the right move hanging on to them so hopefully I can use them in a promotional exam if I ever do get on.

Comment

So it looks like the start date is Dec 1st for the 197th session...

Or at least the ATOs don't have to show up until the 1st, which could mean Nov 30th for the recruits...

Not a lot of ATOs being assigned which would indicate a smaller class...

Methinks cadetlinux's "guess" was pretty accurate...
                Time will tell, I've heard of a rogue few getting phone calls today

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                  I'm ranked right around 300 and I declined to use my vet points. I scored a 99.xx without them. I guess I'd have a lot better shot at this class if I used them but I still think I made the right move hanging on to them so hopefully I can use them in a promotional exam if I ever do get on.
                  You really didn't use your points? I heard that if you used them and ended up getting hired without needing them you got them back. I figured a bird in hand was worth two in the bush and used them, if I had not I probably would be in the 700s with no shot instead of in the 90s with a slim chance. I would rather get the job first and worried about promotion later. You probably would have been in the top 50 or 25 had you used them and a safe bet for this class.

Comment

• Anyone have more than an idea about the start date. I live 600 miles away and need all the time I can get to move my family. I have also heard that you must have your car registered in New York before you report to the academy. That will be a challenge if they tell us late this week and then we have a short week with the holiday next. Thanks for any help. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

He wouldn't be one of three brothers on the job. A slight bit bigger than your avg guy
                      Yeah, that's him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYGiants View Post
                        Anyone have more than an idea about the start date. I live 600 miles away and need all the time I can get to move my family. I have also heard that you must have your car registered in New York before you report to the academy. That will be a challenge if they tell us late this week and then we have a short week with the holiday next. Thanks for any help. Good luck to everyone.

Get a NYS driver's license too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                          Yeah, that's him.
                          I came on with the dwarf of the family -- All 6'5" of him... Great guy, he used to post on here arounf 4 yrs ago.

Originally posted by NYGiants View Post
                          I live 600 miles away and need all the time I can get to move my family. .
                          I would think twice about that. I am sure the 10% or so of the recruits who quit had no intention of quitting before the academy started. The same goes with those who fail out! Then there are those that don't make it past FTO or the probationary period.

Even if you move them up to NY you may be stationed 6+ hours away. I would hold off on moving your family until you are settled...

Also, the ATOs take the out of state guys to the DMV and square away their driver's licenses. Not sure at what point in the academy they do this but it is done...
                          Last edited by GrayPatriot; 11-18-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                            If you scored that high w/o using your Vet points, I certainly wouldn't feel any shame..That says a lot, hopefully you will get to use them someday

Comment

Also, the ATOs take the out of state guys to the DMV and square away their driver's licenses. Not sure at what point in the academy they do this but it is done...
                              I didn't know this, but it makes sense.

I too lived out-of-state when I got the job. They didn't do it back then. I'm glad they are doig it now, especially when there may be very short notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Avery2000 View Post
                                You really didn't use your points? I heard that if you used them and ended up getting hired without needing them you got them back. I figured a bird in hand was worth two in the bush and used them, if I had not I probably would be in the 700s with no shot instead of in the 90s with a slim chance. I would rather get the job first and worried about promotion later. You probably would have been in the top 50 or 25 had you used them and a safe bet for this class.
                                I didn't need my points to get into the academy so I got them back... Too bad I am a road guy at heart and have no ambitions of correcting accident and arrest reports.
                                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12086 users online. 450 members and 11636 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X