Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I asked this question in another part of the forum and was told that I should post my question on this thread. On average how long does it take for backup to arrive to a trooper who is on a traffic stop/call. I would imagine that it takes much longer than in big cities where x amount of cars can respond to a location in a minute or two.

Comment

• post deleted
      Last edited by NYSPHOPEFUL; 11-29-2008, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Traditionally, the medical is 30 days out from a class. But....who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by pilot56 View Post
          I asked this question in another part of the forum and was told that I should post my question on this thread. On average how long does it take for backup to arrive to a trooper who is on a traffic stop/call. I would imagine that it takes much longer than in big cities where x amount of cars can respond to a location in a minute or two.
          It all depends on where you work and how you work. There are times we are fat and me and a buddy will tagteam some of our more 'target rich environments'. In that situation... we are usually less than a minute away from each other as most trailer parks are not very large There are also days that there is 1 guy on the road and backup is a Deputy that might be all the way across the county. I imagine things are even worse in areas like in the Adirondaks.

I am a very proactive guy but I treat every situation like there is nobody coming if I get myself in a bad situation so I am always thinking about the situation and assessing any possible threats.
          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
            Traditionally, the medical is 30 days out from a class. But....who knows?
            If I had to take a guess (again this is pure speculation) I'd say December 8 as the start date (with everyone reporting on the 7th of course).

Comment

• My guess would be a Dec 14th report date....speculation as well but we can find out who is right soon enough ha ha.

Comment

• So something I've never seen happen before happened today. I have a friend ranked in the 600s who received an invite to the medical.....He hasn't started his background or done a polygraph. Anyone else seen this before? Makes me feel a little less confident about where I'm at.

Comment

• Originally posted by doowan81 View Post
                  I also received my invite for the final medical on the 15th. Did they already review our background checks then send out the medicals to the individuals that they wanted to invite, or do they send out the medicals with the background checks pending?
                  I received a med invite today too. It states on the invite that, "at this stage of processing, backgrounds may still be pending".

Comment

• Originally posted by pilot56 View Post
                    I asked this question in another part of the forum and was told that I should post my question on this thread. On average how long does it take for backup to arrive to a trooper who is on a traffic stop/call. I would imagine that it takes much longer than in big cities where x amount of cars can respond to a location in a minute or two.
                    Every call you go to is a gun call, remember that. Backup can range from any variance of time depending on patrol strength on that tour, as well as another police officer or deputy sheriff who is working in the towns, villages, and county. I know some troopers in my area who have waited 20 minutes for a unit so I usually head their way if something is going on, and I know some who have been there in less than a minute. Also sometimes your radio and cell dont have service so it may be only you, so you have to handle the situation accordingly. I know my friend works up in the Adirondacks and has waited 35 minutes for his nearest backup. So it really depends.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Newb

Not to deter some of the other candidates, but i've noticed some people ranked in the 600's that haven't been called yet for BI and were wondering if maybe their rank hasn't been reached yet.

I'm currently ranked 8xx had my polygraph and BI completed both completed by 10/14/2008 and received my medical invite on 10/28/2008.

This might not be good news for some people that haven't heard anything but I was hoping some news would be better than no news.
                      Last edited by 04RevX; 11-04-2008, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Newb

Oh and my med invite was for Nov. 15th at 9am......

Comment

• It depends

I checked with people I know in NJSP and here too it just depends.

Sometimes you are working with many troop cars in the same general areas or roadways. Generally some alert Troopers will hear you making a stop and automatically start that way, just in case. Sometimes you are out there alone. It would not be unusual for you to be assigned part of a county by yourself (unless you are working midnights where NJSP doubles up in most cases.).
                          Toll roads in NJ at some points of day (with court appearances all over), and at night (during shift changes) can have 30 or ever 50 miles distance from one car to another. Radio coverage depending of the toll road can also be a problem as one uses repeater towers that puts every transmission onto every Troop car on that roadway and another that shuts down the repeater but also limits the range of the Troop radio in distance from the base tower.
                          Some would say that the whole reason for the intense quasi-military training that almost all State Police organizations use are trying to instill in their Acadamies the ability to be by yourself and have the confidence that you can respond and be effective in extreme situations.
                          Alone.

Comment

• Got my med invite yesterday for the 15th at 8AM. Good luck to everyone hope to see you there.

Comment

• Question

I have another newb question, it might have been mentioned in one of the last 191 pages of this thread but in the post-processing packet it talks about the sit-and-reach requirements.

Does anyone know how that is measured??

Sorry if it has already been explained, i'm slowing reading thru all of the last 191 pages, i'm on about page 25.

Comment

• There is no sit and reach requirement in the PAT for NYSP.

There is a video at; www.nytrooper.com that shows the 3 areas and the method they use for: 1. situps, 2. pushups, 3. 1 1/2 mile run.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4122 users online. 197 members and 3925 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X