Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make sure my beer doesn't freeze if I keep it outside? To me it sounds more like the mini fridge is the way to go.

Comment

• Necessary

I forgot that .....could we borrow space in an Instructors fridge ? Maybe buy his beer for him as a sign of repect ?
      Another item that will come in handy, electric gloves for those early morning runs outside.

Comment

• And don't forget to bring coffee and donuts for all the ATOs and your fellow classmates. The ATOs will be most appreciative and will definitely take it easy on you as a result.
        Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• A question for those who are Troopers or those who may know. I currently work for a police department and they pay 90 percent of my health insurance cost, if I want to add my family, they cover none. I was wondering what the out of pockett costs were in coverage of me and then coverage of my wife and kids. I cant seem to find any information about how much New York State picks up when it comes to Individual and family insurance. Thanks for any help.

Comment

• waiting on the invitation to the Medical!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NYGiants View Post
              waiting on the invitation to the Medical!!!!!
              The medical should be about 4 weeks before the academy starts and letters notifying applicants should go out about 4 weeks before then. From what I hear the medical is way behing schedule, they are scrambling to get it setup. I would expect very little notice before the medical.

Medical contribution is about $50 a month for single and $160 for a family plan, these are estimates.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYGiants View Post
                A question for those who are Troopers or those who may know. I currently work for a police department and they pay 90 percent of my health insurance cost, if I want to add my family, they cover none. I was wondering what the out of pockett costs were in coverage of me and then coverage of my wife and kids. I cant seem to find any information about how much New York State picks up when it comes to Individual and family insurance. Thanks for any help.
                Far too many variables... We have so many HMO's and other plans available to us that it would be hard to tell you what it would cost from plan to plan. All plans have single rate and family rate. The plan I have, The Empire Plan, costs me ~$22 a pay period and the familiy plan is something like $160 a pay period but with the family plan, it doesn't matter if you have just you and your wife or a family of 6.
                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by WishIKnew View Post
                  The medical should be about 4 weeks before the academy starts and letters notifying applicants should go out about 4 weeks before then. From what I hear the medical is way behind schedule, they are scrambling to get it setup. I would expect very little notice before the medical.
                  With this logic, assuming backgrounds were finished and they are currently looking for ATOs, when do you think the hopefuls would expect to get a notice for the medical?

Comment

• Empire Plan Family = $95.10 each pay period

If you are concerned about your beverage of choice freezing in the window sill; just leave it inside the room. It won't freeze but if it is like the first month I was there, it will still be plenty cold enough to drink

Comment

• Hi all, I have not been on in a while. I took the psych, had background done, polygraph etc. Last night I was called in by my BI, I was there for less than 10 minutes...not sure why I was even there!!! Basically showed me my life in a folder, went over the honesty routine again and said good luck. I guess now it's wait for a letter...either good or bad.

Comment

• What to bring to the Academy

It's become something of a tradition that I offer up some advise about what to bring to the Academy on day one. With the next class perhaps just a few weeks away, it's time.

1) You have to keep your strength up. Things are hectic, and you can get run down. So bring some snacks to keep your energy up. Don't bring crap like cookies or chips. I suggest healthy snacks such as fruit, cereal bars, etc. And bring enough to share with your quadmates. It's all about the teamwork guys.

2) You will be living in the dorms for 6 long months. Bring a few items from home to make your room comfortable. It's going to be a small class so you should have room for your favorite chair (since there will likely be only 2 per room). Also, bring some pictures to hang on the wall. Posters are okay too, as long as they are clean. NASCAR, sports, movie posters etc. NO PLAYBOY CENTERFOLDS!!!!! I found it helped to bring my favorite comforter. I know, sounds juvenile, but I sleep better with it.

3) Not everyone should bring a mini-fridge, but one per room is nice. Save that for week #2, so that you can coordinate with the quadmates about who should bring one. On the other hand, a toaster, popcorm maker and similer type small appliance will come n handy. Just take your favorite, but again, plan on sharing it.

4) You'll have your evenings free, so bring some clothes to go out in. I'm not much into clubbing, but you guys are much younger than me. I understand Albany has some decent clubs, so enjoy.

5) You will be instructed to park in the back lot, and you have to. But it's easier to use the front door to unload, You wont have to carry your stuff up stairs that way. The First Sergeant's desk is near the front door, and he has access to a flat cart to use. Just ask him for it. But don't leave your car out front. You have to park out back, or you will get into trouble. They are serious about that for some reason.

6) Everyone tries to use the gas pump at the Academy at the same time. It's crazy on Friday afternoons. I suggest asking mid-week if you can fill up your personal cars for the ride home. Believe me, you'll be glad you did on Friday afternoon when everyone else is lining up.

I'll add things as I think of them. Good luck.
                        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• But sir, the guy with the crazy clown face avatar from the internet said I could...

SDT, once again you forgot to mention to arrive on an empty stomach as the ATOs order a whole lot of pizza for the first night!

Comment

• Face time

When some ATO gets in your face about not sharing you favorite beverage or leaving your electric blanket on during class (so that it's nice and snuggly for your nap before dinner), just laugh and say "Man does your breath smell bad, Dude.".

Say it with a big smile so he/she knows you're just kidding.

Nobody wants to hurt each others feelings.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• hahahahaha SDT
                                " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8768 users online. 440 members and 8328 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X