300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Manny2000 View Post
    How did the recruits have time to use a weight room? Did they lift while slower groups ran? Or is there free time at the end of each day?
    This does not happen until the end of the academy and then later in the evening

Comment

• I've been hearing that the next round of PAT might come up sooner than everyone thinks. They ever do 1-1,000 then 1,001-2,000 back to back or do they take and fully process the first round of candidates before they even start on the second group?
      Last edited by NYSP1938; 09-06-2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Hello Everyone--

So i have been reading the forums for awhile now and finally got approved to post after a couble of weeks. I got the letter to report to albany on september 13th. I have been training for quite some time as this really is a dream for me but cant seem to be able to do the pushups. i have been running and doing the situps and am really close to hitting the requirements but the pushups seem to be the one thing i cant do. I am 5'11 and 220 lbs which is also a concern for me for the height weight requirement as well. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated and my biggest question is if you dont pass all three of the PT exams if you are auto-DQ or allowed another shot at it?

Last edited by BMG; 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• If it's your dream....

DONT GIVE UP!!!

Just try your best, and if that doesn't make the grade, try again!
          Last edited by reils49; 09-05-2008, 03:19 PM.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• If I have run until i pass out or do pushups until i am red in the face i am going to put every ounce of heart i have into this. When I got the letter i was so excited until i realzed how much work i had to do in three weeks. Since the beggining of July i have lost 25 lbs and almost 8 % body fat but am still way over the trooper limit. Well good luck to everyone and Thanx Reils for the encouragement!!! :-)

Last edited by BMG; 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• My personal recommendation to you (and some may not agree) to improve upon your pushup number is the following:

Grab a bookbag and some plate weight. Throw a 5 lb weight, 10 lb weight (whatever you can handle without harming yourself. I would personally recommend a 45 lb weight if you can handle it) in there. Do as many pushups as you can this way with the maximum (but comfortable) amount of weight in there. Do this for a few days as much as you can in the day. Do not rest until you CAN NOT do anymore. Do 2 days of this, one day of rest. As the 13th nears (say around the 11th or 12th) stop doing it that way. You will be amazed at how easy it will be to do the pushups without the weight. Not only will it enable you to do more physically, but it will DISABLE your mind from thinking about fatigue without weight on your back in a backpack (to a certain extent at least).

Also, if this aids you in becoming a Trooper, I demand a percentage of your salary.

Best of luck to you and all in the process. I'll be patiently waiting for my number to be called (if it is).
              Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• Thank you so much!!! My trainer had me doing the same thing with improving my running. Thats the only reason im even close to being able to do the run. I didnt even think about trying it with pushups. I will give it a shot if it can give me enough to hit that magical number. If it works i will be posting the very next day letting you know if i am one step closer :-)

Last edited by BMG; 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BMG View Post
                  Hello Everyone--

I have been training for quite some time as this really is a dream for me but cant seem to be able to do the pushups
                  What I have done to increase my number quickly is; twice an hour throught the day, I do as many pushups as I can. In one week, I increased my max number by 10. As you will need a couple days rest before the PAT, you really only have a few days to play with. I don't know how many you can do now, but anything is worth a try! Good luck

Comment

• I'd bang out a boat load of pushups all day long for the next 5 days.

dedicate the next week of just training.

run 2x a day, and when watching TV bang out 20 pushups and situps every commercial break.

once a day do the max amount of pushups/situps you can with a weighted backpack. then do the max amount with no weight strapped on. Then every now and then bang out some pushups.

And remember, the pushups wont kill you. You'll feel like dieing, but you wont. Mind over matter, just tell those girly arms (lol, just playing) to bang out a few more.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP1938 View Post
                      I've been hearing that the next round of PAT might come up sooner than everyone thinks. They ever due 1-1,000 then 1,001-2,000 back to back or do they take and fully process the first round of candidates before they even start on the second group?

NYSP1938 where did you hear about another thousand or so being proccessed "sooner than everyone thinks"? I'm ranked 1,700, you got me all exited

Comment

• From three sources actually. First was from a veteran trooper I know through work, who told me that with my test score I should expect to get called up in the 2nd round, " so shoot for the end of September". Other two are retired NYSP Captains that I had as college professor's. So I don't really know if they were trying to give me a date to get ready by or actually knew anything. One of the Captains did mention that they were going to do 6 to a room for the next academy though and she expected a very large class.

I'm excited too, I scored around 1,100. I keep hearing, "expect to get into the 2nd or 3rd academy". So I try not to get too excited cause that's at least another year.
                        Last edited by NYSP1938; 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP1938 View Post
                          One of the Captains did mention that they were going to do 6 to a room for the next academy though and she expected a very large class.
                          6 recruits in a quad is not fun... I really wouldn't want to deal with 6 in each room.
                          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• What if 2 or 3 of the 6 were people who snore?? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                              6 recruits in a quad is not fun... I really wouldn't want to deal with 6 in each room.
                              Probably mean't 6 to a quad, I can't see where they would fit 6 in a room. 4 in each room was tight.

Comment

• Actually what she said went roughly like this. " I expect a rather large class. When I was in we had 4 in each barracks room, and now I hear they are doing 6 which will be tight; at least you'll get to come home on the weekends to unwind". Who knows though, she could be misinformed. I'll waite until I get through processing before I worry about it too much.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7044 users online. 292 members and 6752 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X