Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my rank went down 14 points as well. oh well i'm not complaining.

Comment

• Does anyone know what the difference between X-Training and Running shoes are?

I tossed out my old running shoes a few weeks ago, and picked up some cross trainers. They work, but I've noticed my knees/ankles are pretty sore. And I've never had this before.

Thanks.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• A cross-trainer is really an "all purpose" hybrid shoe. A running shoe is designed for running. A tennis shoe is designed for tennis. Other shoes are designed for specific sports. A cross-trainer will have different elements from several types of shoes, but not necessarily all of the important elements of a dedicated shoe. Each cross-trainer is different.

Keep the cross-trainers for casual wear. Get a pair of real running shoes to run in.

Comment

• They look like running shoes. That's why I bought them, I didn't read the box. However, after running 20+ miles a week in them, I can feel the difference. I'll keep them around to wear at the gym.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• how strict are they when it comes to the height and weight? im 6'2 and 235

Comment

• If you miss the requirements by less than 20lbs, they'll check your body fat percentage. They may allow you to continue processing anyway, as long as you can drop the weight before the medical exam.

If you exceed the weight for your height by 20lbs or more, they go solely to body fat percentage. The max is 18.9% for males under 30 and 22.0% for males 30 and up.

If you don't make the body fat percentage, and you're more than 20lbs overweight, you're out.

...or at least that's what it used to be. Someone who has processed more recently may have better information.

Comment

• PHP Code:
                Tlundberg04 my rank went down 14 points as welloh well i'm not complaining. 
                I moved ahead 1 spot.

Comment

• I moved ahead from 128 to 120.

Comment

• Originally posted by hxd View Post
                    If you don't make the body fat percentage, and you're more than 20lbs overweight, you're out.

This was not the case 3.5yrs ago. We had two guys in my class who looked way out of place and were very overweight -- Well over 20Ibs. The thing is the could keep up with the PT and busted their butts all the time. They both finished with identical run times of 10:30 for the 1.5 mile. A very slow time for the class but for the size of these guys that was impressive running.
                    Last edited by GrayPatriot; 09-03-2008, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• I finally got approved to post on here, The reason why everyone has seen their spots move is because some people were confused what the Five points vet. pref. credit was. People in the gaurd were taking it and did not fit the definition of vet. in that they had never been deployed, so thats why most people got a slight bump, because some people lost the five point cushion. I was told this by a recruiter.

Score 97.64 rank 717 ....see you all 9/13

Comment

• body fat %

I asked the same question months ago and most likely thousands of posts ago about body fat and the weight charts.

Current Troopers (or at least people who claimed to be in the "know" in the NYSP on the Internet) stated that passing the various PT test stations would negate any need for body fat measuring and charts. We also had a discussion about the method used at the Academy and it's inaccuracy versus the newer methods of measuring body fat.

I asked this because as a former NCAA Div 1A football player I am a large person and have been well over the weight parameters since I was at least a Freshman (270) in HIGH SCHOOL for my 6-4 height.
                        Following strength and conditioning for my high school and 5 years at my University (redshirted as a frosh) I am over 305 lbs.
                        I bench well over 400 lbs and squat over 700 lbs and hang clean in the mid 300's. I am a big man.
                        But I am in shape can do all the various PT tests that the NYSP require at THIS time at times and reps that satisfy at least the minimum requirments at initial testing including the run times.
                        So I ask again.... will the NYSP have a problem with someone that passes BOTH their initial PT testing and passes ALL their in Academy PT testing and is still well over the weight/height requirements. I am not talking about a measly 20 lbs, I am talking about 50lbs or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
                          So I ask again.... will the NYSP have a problem with someone that passes BOTH their initial PT testing and passes ALL their in Academy PT testing and is still well over the weight/height requirements. I am not talking about a measly 20 lbs, I am talking about 50lbs or more.
                          Like I implied in my post you should not have any problems. They will probably test you with the calipers and tell you that you need to lose some weight. If you make it into the academy you will not be the biggest person to every don the Gray, you will not be the only former NCAA Div 1A player to ever don the gray, and you sure as hell won't be the only person who can bench 400+... You may be the only person to squat 700+ though

In a recent enough issue of our PBA magazine there is a picture of PT session with some recruits and there is a guy who literally looked twice as big as some of those around him and there didn't seem to be an ounce of fat on him.

This has been mentioned numerous times before but to prep for the academy a crossfit workout would prepare you a lot better than weights alone. You won't lift a single weight for almost the entire academy but you will do burpees, squat trusts, and mountain climbers so I would adjust your workout accordingly...

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                            Like I implied in my post you should not have any problems. They will probably test you with the calipers and tell you that you need to lose some weight. If you make it into the academy you will not be the biggest person to every don the Gray, you will not be the only former NCAA Div 1A player to ever don the gray, and you sure as hell won't be the only person who can bench 400+... You may be the only person to squat 700+ though

In a recent enough issue of our PBA magazine there is a picture of PT session with some recruits and there is a guy who literally looked twice as big as some of those around him and there didn't seem to be an ounce of fat on him.

This has been mentioned numerous times before but to prep for the academy a crossfit workout would prepare you a lot better than weights alone. You won't lift a single weight for almost the entire academy but you will do burpees, squat trusts, and mountain climbers so I would adjust your workout accordingly...
                            When I visited the Academy a few weeks back, those excelling in PT have special privleges to use the weight training facilities. Mostly the ATO troopers use it.

Comment

• Max's

Can't do 700 anymore, had the same surgery as P. Manning.

My oldest Brother was very strong when playing college football, once benched 440 for 8 reps, but he is only 6-1 and has shorter arms.

Comment

• How did the recruits have time to use a weight room? Did they lift while slower groups ran? Or is there free time at the end of each day?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8630 users online. 424 members and 8206 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X