300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
    Just because you get a EKG done and everything doesn't mean that a heart problem will show. Sometimes/ Many times doctors have missed the signs.
    Correct, an EKG can only identify electrical abnormalities, and only if they're present when the EKG is taken. Cardiomegaly, valve issues, etc don't show up.

An echocardiogram would actually give a picture of the physical state of the heart and could identify structural defects.

Comment

• I've lost 35 pounds by changing my whole lifestyle. My diet is very rigid, I'm running 6 days a week, and I also currently have a personal trainer. I'm very happy with the results as I'm 6'1...I was 255, now I'm 220. I'd really like to hit that 205 mark.

Comment

• I got a 102.XX on the test with my veterans points and am ranked in the top 100 on the list. I am also a military intelligence officer with a top secret/sci clearance. My question is whether having a recent full background investigation makes the NYSP background investigation any easier?

Comment

• When approximately does processing start for the fall academy? I heard sometime in August, can anyone confirm this?
          Last edited by Brian23; 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Anybody have an idea of when processing will start from this exam? Ranked 13xx, I hope to have atleast 4 months to get into better shape. When I left the Marines I got lazy and gained a little weight! Also, does anyone know if a summary court-martial for UA during my military service is a reason for DQ? It wasnt drugs or to miss movement, but since then I have served in Iraq and received an Honorable Discharge. My stupidity was about four years ago. Any insight bad or good would be helpful. Thanks, good luck to all.
            Last edited by grey25; 08-15-2008, 12:29 AM. Reason: too much information

Comment

• Originally posted by grey25 View Post
              Anybody have an idea of when processing will start from this exam? Ranked 1394, I hope to have atleast 4 months to get into better shape. When I left the Marines I got lazy and gained a little weight! Also, does anyone know if a summary court-martial for UA during my military service is a reason for DQ? It wasnt drugs or to miss movement, but since then I have served in Iraq and received an Honorable Discharge. My stupidity was about four years ago. Any insight bad or good would be helpful. Thanks, good luck to all.
              I don't know about a summary court-martial... I'm sure it depends on what it's for... a little more info would probably be very helpful. When I was proscessing and told my BI that I got an Art. 15 for sleeping on duty he asked me if I was serious. As for having 4 months to get into shape.... I'd get running right now because they could start calling candidates next week if they wanted to.

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
              If I recall, about 20 years ago is when they ran multiple academies and those troopers are getting ready for retirement.
              All of those Troopers have already been eligible for retirement for over a year.

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
              Back in the fall of 1986 and spring of 1987 we hired twice as many people as we normally hire. In fact, so many were hired that we had to open a second Academy in Brockport, NY. My guess would be almost 800 people were hired in those two classes when you add Albany and Brockport together. All of those people are eligible to retire now, though some obviously have already.
              Last edited by Trooper4985; 07-07-2008, 05:20 PM.
              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                Did most of these Troopers retire or waiting for new contract?

Thanks for the insight.
                I have no idea on how many guys from those two classes have already retired but I can say this... there are far more reasons that guys stick around than just waiting to see what the new contract brings. I don't think my barracks is special so I know there are many guys thoughout the state that are past their 20 and can't retire or aren't even at 20 yet and know that they can't retire at 20.
                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Two retired from my zone out of those classes. Most are staying on for a couple of more years for a variety of reasons.
                  Last edited by GrayPatriot; 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• I've got a family member almost maxing out at 30...he needs to move it and make way for me ha ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                      I've got a family member almost maxing out at 30...he needs to move it and make way for me ha ha.
                      Well, if he's maxing out, he's staying for 32. They changed that last year.
                      No room for you.
                      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                        Aug processing is nice.

How the hell did you lose 35lbs in 6 week? Biggest Loser?

I love the fact I turned 30 this year, makes hitting all the standards very easy
                        hey man you applied for the air marshals too, what happened with that? good luck with state trooper. whats ur rank and when do you think they will start processing applicants for this upcoming academy and how far in the list they will go?

Comment

• I didnt know the FAM's where hiring, where did you find that info at? Does anyone know if the NYSP grants deferrements for time to finish college?

Comment

I didnt know the FAM's where hiring, where did you find that info at? Does anyone know if the NYSP grants deferrements for time to finish college?
                            I know of several people who have done this before. When your number is called, if you still need time, talk to your recruiter. He or she will probably have you send a letter to Albany, stating that you wish to temporarily defer until you finish school. When you're ready, send another letter saying you wish to resume the process.

Or at least that's the way it was with me six years ago.

There is more information on the website: http://www.nytrooper.com/deferment_information.cfm
                            Last edited by hxd; 07-08-2008, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I didnt know the FAM's where hiring, where did you find that info at? Does anyone know if the NYSP grants deferrements for time to finish college?
                              Any reason you would give up seniority for a piece of paper that gets you nothing more than $250 a year when longevity is more than 4 times that? Take the job, if the job accepts you, and get your degree in night school. Many have posted against my posts about the worth of college degrees when it comes to this job... but I stand behind my thinking... I blew (drank) 3 years in an expensive private college before realizing (partying my way out) that the military is all you really need to grow up and be very marketable to any industry... expecially one that requires that you 1.) follow instruction and 2.) are able to make a command decision.

I work with college graduates just a I work with prior military. I would much rather goto a complaint that has hair on it with a military vet that has life experience than some college kid who knows very little other than what 'the book' tells him.

Kinda like the old saying in computer games... save early and save often. Process as soon as you are able. If you don't get selected for the class... keep going with your education and process again till you get told to go away, or are too old.
                              Last edited by Trooper4985; 07-09-2008, 01:02 AM.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• i almost fully agree with 4985...i went to a way too expensive private school, for 5 years...i graduated, and racked up a stack of student loan debt. if i could have gotten in with two years of college, i would have but hindsight is 20/20. unfortunately,at least with my academy of 200, mostly everyone had either a bachelor's, long military history or both. its unfortunate, but does the college degree really make you a better trooper?NOPE. but the people sitting at the long oval table making the decision seem to put you ahead of the rest of the candidates..if you can get in with no military, and less than a degree, more power and less student loans to you

]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7430 users online. 203 members and 7227 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X