300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
    I am ranked in the top 500 and answered the personality portion on how I felt, not all strongly agree/disagree. If I recall...I only answered strongly 10x.

LE is not black and white on all the issues...there is something called discretion. For example "Pull over a single mom, crappy car, young kid, for broken tail light". Can you write that person for a violation? Yes...but you don't have to and you can continue to look for a "bigger fish" and get some guns/drugs off the street.

My point...you should have strong convictions on certain things in any career but there is a need to be flexible to be a well rounded cop.

Anyway -- Best of luck to all, if NYSP does not work out there are plenty of other places that need good people.

Good point... there is a lot of grey area at times, and going 100% by the book isn't always the best choice of action....

Good example... In my hometown, there is a new cop on the force who the entire town hates. We had a pretty good blizzard last year, and a family friend tried making it up her driveway and got stuck, with about 2 feet of her car in the road. She got out, fired up her snowplow, and began clearing the driveway. She's in her late 60's, so it's not the easiest task in the world. She begins trying to dig her car out when the new cop pulls up behind. He asks why she's in the road, she explains she's digging herself out. He gave her a ticket for having her vehicle in the roadway during a snow emergency.

First, if I was a cop in that instance, I would have used the shovel and dug the women's car out for her. It'd probably take 5 minutes. Secondly, to give someone a citation in that instance is ridiculous. I think ultimately she went to town hall and bitched to the mayor, and it was dropped... Still..... bad karma, what goes around comes around, especially for law enforcement.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusionetworks View Post
      from what ive gathered through this thread and other forums youre supposed to answer stongly to all in one direction or the other...thats where most people go wrong.
      Trust me the strongly agree and disagree thing doesn't work. I was a victim of that belief.
      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• that point also brings about the whole "community policing" concept which is growing quickly. great opportunity to make someone enjoy something the police are doing rather than looking down on the officers for writing citations constantly. help the public.

Comment

• Score: 88.XX

........maybe i will get called in 3-4 years

Comment

• Score: 100

Comment

• how far down the list did they go last time?

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                I am ranked in the top 500 and answered the personality portion on how I felt, not all strongly agree/disagree. If I recall...I only answered strongly 10x.

LE is not black and white on all the issues...there is something called discretion. For example "Pull over a single mom, crappy car, young kid, for broken tail light". Can you write that person for a violation? Yes...but you don't have to and you can continue to look for a "bigger fish" and get some guns/drugs off the street.

My point...you should have strong convictions on certain things in any career but there is a need to be flexible to be a well rounded cop.

Anyway -- Best of luck to all, if NYSP does not work out there are plenty of other places that need good people.
                Well said. (I'm also impressed you guys aren't talking about specific questions, remember the military applicants will be taking this test very soon.)

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                  Trust me the strongly agree and disagree thing doesn't work. I was a victim of that belief.
                  Yeah i've heard that the best answers are the ones that are just agree or just disagree, strongly should only be used as sparingly as unsure. i tried that on the MTA test so we"ll see if there is any truth to this

Comment

• Woooooo Hoooooooo, after many failed login attempts, I finally got in at about 8:30 AM. Now that my heart rate is under 200, I can type. I still can't believe how well I did. My rank number is well below 100 (one hundred). I left the test site positive I had done well, but this was a shock. At least if I don't make it through all of the processing, I can walk away with a smile knowing I tested that well for such a well respected organization.

Comment

• Congrats to all who have done so excellent on the exam.

I still have been unable to attain my scores on the website due to constant errors that keep appearing. Anyone else have this problem at the current moment? It says "HTTP500 Internal Server Error." Boooo-whoooo!

I tried checking the score at like 3 am, 6 am, 8 am, 9 am, 5pm, and just now. What is going on??? lol. Let me know if any of you are having technical difficulties?

Again, Congratulations to all of you who did well.

Comment

• Originally posted by DubyaSTI View Post
                        Well done John. On the previous test (03 or 04ish) I scored a 77 and I don't even remember my rank. I had written it off and never expected anything, and 4 years later I received the letter in the mail to go for processing. Scoring in the 80's I would expect you won't have to wait as long as I did.
                        At the risk of repeating myself........

This post highlights the importants of keeping the NYSP informed of your current address and phone number. There were several candidates that we could not locate, in order to invite them to further processing.

We will not conduct a missing person investigation just to hire you, no matter how well qualified you are. If you move/change phone numbers, go to the website and inform the agency.
                        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                          I would have been in the 104+ range with my vet points but there really is no point besides ego. I'm saving mine for the future. (promotional exam if I get on the job)
                          Use your vet points now. If it is determined that you would be reached on the list without using the points, you get them back and can use them on a promotional exam.

Double check this with your recruiter, but I'm quite sure it's accurate.

Comment

• s: 98.55
                            r : <495

Comment

• Congratulations to all those that did well. And to those that didn't do quite so well as they had hoped, don't despair. The list may move faster than anyone can anticipate.

Don't quit living while waiting around for a phone call. You are all young and have the world before you. You don't have to give up all hope, nor put all of your eggs in this basket. There are other options.

I wish the best for each of you.

Comment

• Cool...I'll look into it, I'm not sure it'll effect what class I process for though since i'm in the top 300. I'll take anything I can get though

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6281 users online. 262 members and 6019 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X