Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while been busy down in Troop F. I went through the last academy...195. I was 23 when i got in and my roommate was 21 but the other guys I shared a quad with were between 25-30. My class had a a lot of prior LE. I think it was around 40 guys and another were military.. Most of everyone getting into the academys now processed for at least a year as most of us that went to the last academy went to two final medicals before getting in. Just don't get discouraged because its a great job and its not for everyone as people find out in Field training.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
      In my session of 26 only two recruits were under 25 and one of them was 24yrs old. It seems like some of the more senior troopers got on closer to 21 but as of late the division is looking for a more mature and experienced candidate.

This upcoming class will be around 50% prior military and another 10%+ will have LE experience. My class had a lot of people with post graduate education/training. The best thing that could happen to the younger candidates on this forum is that they obtain a mediocre score so they have a few more years to gain some life experience.
      I was thinking about that yesterday, that means I shouldn't be too dumbed out if I scored 80-85. lets see what happens on Monday.
      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by dhs9909 View Post
        Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while been busy down in Troop F. I went through the last academy...195. I was 23 when i got in and my roommate was 21 but the other guys I shared a quad with were between 25-30. My class had a a lot of prior LE. I think it was around 40 guys and another were military.. Most of everyone getting into the academys now processed for at least a year as most of us that went to the last academy went to two final medicals before getting in. Just don't get discouraged because its a great job and its not for everyone as people find out in Field training.
        What was the distribution of candidates from your academy across the different troops? (How many went to troops a,b,c Etc.) I understand that MOST go to F. Also, does class rank effect your placement in a certain troop?
        2/7 - NYSP written test
        5/3 - NFTA written test
        5/23 - IEA written test

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Comment

• Originally posted by dhs9909 View Post
          Hey everyone I haven't posted in a while been busy down in Troop F. I went through the last academy...195. I was 23 when i got in and my roommate was 21 but the other guys I shared a quad with were between 25-30. My class had a a lot of prior LE. I think it was around 40 guys and another were military.. Most of everyone getting into the academys now processed for at least a year as most of us that went to the last academy went to two final medicals before getting in. Just don't get discouraged because its a great job and its not for everyone as people find out in Field training.
          What do you mean its not for everyone as people find out during field training? Do you mean it's more administrative and less patrolling then you thought?

Also do people ever fail the field training? I would imagine that would be terrible for the people who fail the field training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justice01 View Post
            What do you mean its not for everyone as people find out during field training? Do you mean it's more administrative and less patrolling then you thought?

Also do people ever fail the field training? I would imagine that would be terrible for the people who fail the field training.
            I'm pretty sure some people fail FTO, He means its not for everyone because some people go into the job thinking its like you see on TV and then you get out there and its nothing like they thought it would be.
            "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
              In my session of 26 only two recruits were under 25 and one of them was 24yrs old.
              Correct me if I am wrong, but I am understanding that you were 1 of 26 recruits in your academy class. Is this so?

Comment

• Originally posted by MB Troop View Post
                Correct me if I am wrong, but I am understanding that you were 1 of 26 recruits in your academy class. Is this so?
                Classes are broken up into sessions... Kinda like a squad is split up into fireteams.
                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by MB Troop View Post
                  Yeah, you are broken into sessions and after the first couple of weeks these are the people you will spend most of your time with. We had 6 sessions in my class and like most classes I couldn't tell you much about people outside of my session...

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                    Classes are broken up into sessions... Kinda like a squad is split up into fireteams.
                    so in other words you're broken up into section? for example you have a academy class of 200 ppl and 10 groups of 20ppl something like that?
                    kinda of the NYPD people are broken up into companies, company 1,2,3 and so on?
                    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                      Yeah I did write a letter and was afforded a meeting with a Lieutenant regarding my DQ. She was very professional and constructive, it was not a negative experience at all. At that point it was all I ever wanted to do so it definitely stung. I've become quite successful since then and it would be a pretty significant pay cut for me to be a State Trooper now and I DON'T CARE!!!! I enjoy my current job and at least I'll have that if this doesn't work out.
                      Did the Lieutenant mention some of the reasons for your DQ? Was it like you said your job history and your age as being the main factors for your disqualification? How long was the interview? Did you mention to the LT that this was something you have been wanting to do for such a long time? Also did you mention that you had family members in the NYSP?

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                        I doubt failing FTO is very common, the state invested a ton of time/money in your training and they want you to succeed.

That being said...if you are a disaster on the street and can't apply what you were taught I am sure they will send you packing. Probably most common is people realizing it's not for them, the street is nothing like the real world. Your suspects are not as clean/compliant as your partner in arrest technique class.

Not sure if that is the same for NYSP but it was my experience.
                        Failing FTO or being told to quit is not as uncommon as you might think. My class was 200 graduates and I can think of two people out of my class who never made it out of FTO and a couple more who were told to resign (or be fired) or just quit shortly after making it out on the road.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Off topic...Any bets the system will crash [email protected] 12am
                          " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                            Failing FTO or being told to quit is not as uncommon as you might think. My class was 200 graduates and I can think of two people out of my class who never made it out of FTO and a couple more who were told to resign (or be fired) or just quit shortly after making it out on the road.
                            But why? Is it because of police presence? Maybe they werent assertive enough or they couldn't control themselves during confrontations? Did they get nervous on calls? Could you give some examples?

I am doing an internship with a local PD and they have had several officers fail the FTO program and I always ask the officers on the ride alongs what are some main reasons why people fail FTO and many of the officers say police presence is a big reason.

Also about the system crash, seeing that 19,000 took the trooper test there is a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by goaliebg30 View Post
                              Off topic...Any bets the system will crash [email protected] 12am
                              I have no idea how the system is set up, but I highly doubt results will be up at 12:00AM (that early in the morning).

I would think they will be available more like sometime after the start of the normal business day (8 or 9:00AM).

Just a guess, as I really have no clue, but unless it is an automated system, do you really think someone will be in the administrative offices at 12:00AM to "push the magic button", making them available?

Not trying to be negative, just a thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                                I have no idea how the system is set up, but I highly doubt results will be up at 12:00AM (that early in the morning).

I would think they will be available more like sometime after the start of the normal business day (8 or 9:00AM).

Just a guess, as I really have no clue, but unless it is an automated system, do you really think someone will be in the administrative offices at 12:00AM to "push the magic button", making them available?

Not trying to be negative, just a thought.
                                And who's going to be up at midnight to check the score? Maybe I'm the only one, but I am going to be getting some well deserved snooze.
                                Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11401 users online. 413 members and 10988 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X