Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just worried since I'm only 21 they might look past me because I'm so young. But lets see if I even passed the exam to have to worry about that.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
      I'm just worried since I'm only 21 they might look past me because I'm so young. But lets see if I even passed the exam to have to worry about that.
      When I took the trooper exam the first time I was only 20. So this pretty much means I have 3 shots at taking this exam before I reach 30 which is the age deadline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justice01 View Post
        When I took the trooper exam the first time I was only 20. So this pretty much means I have 3 shots at taking this exam before I reach 30 which is the age deadline.
        Well, if they tell me I'm "too young" on my first try, the second time around they can't tell me the same excuse since I'll be 24-25 and have around 4yrs of LE experience thanks to the NYPD hopefully.
        "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Knowing someone has absolutely no bearing with the NYSP. Last time I made it all the way through processing, received conditional offer and everything. I actually got zinged on not having an established enough job history. They were a little weary to hire someone with no long term employment. They encouraged me to try again and emphasized it would not bar me forever. I've had the same job ever since, so I can't think it'll hurt me anymore . I seriously find myself making TONS of decisions based solely on the fact of "how would this look on my application for the NYSP?".

Comment

• What would they consider an "established" job history or "long-term" employment?

I was with my current company from 2000-2002. Got laid off (doe to downsizing) in 2002. Was called back to the company in 2003. Was laid off again (again, due to downsizing) in 2004. Got called back again in late 2005, where I've been since.

Comment

• Ha ha, ditto.....I remember when someone I know got on the job, he told me all about processing, the polygraph, etc.. This is all I've ever wanted to be so last time was crushing at first. When I look back I have to think that they were correct though. I thought I knew everything, thought I was mature enough. I've changed so much more, becoming a father being the biggest part of my maturity now.

As for job history, I'm not sure what they really look for other than reliability and dedication. I had nothing but seasonal employment up until then.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                SDT (or other troopers),

Any word on when they will hold the first academy from the new list, and when processing will begin?

Thank you.
                No, there is no word on this yet.

What with the budget problems, and all, it's in the air. Don't lose hope, I expect a fall class, but it hasn't been announced.
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  Is that just handguns or rifles/shotguns as well?
                  It's any firearm for which a permit would be required ( i.e. handguns, machine guns).

It does not apply to rifles/shotguns that are not sawed-off.
                  You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                    Knowing someone has absolutely no bearing with the NYSP. Last time I made it all the way through processing, received conditional offer and everything. I actually got zinged on not having an established enough job history. They were a little weary to hire someone with no long term employment. They encouraged me to try again and emphasized it would not bar me forever. I've had the same job ever since, so I can't think it'll hurt me anymore . I seriously find myself making TONS of decisions based solely on the fact of "how would this look on my application for the NYSP?".
                    That must have been tough to deal with, getting that far and than get told that.
                    " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Believe me...it was devastating. I had been waiting for my letter telling me when the class was going to start. The mailman came, I ripped open the letter as fast as I could, and it was a disqualification letter. I was heartbroken. The worst part was knowing I would have to wait 4 years to try again...but here I am, proof that life goes on ha ha.

Comment

• Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                        Believe me...it was devastating. I had been waiting for my letter telling me when the class was going to start. The mailman came, I ripped open the letter as fast as I could, and it was a disqualification letter. I was heartbroken. The worst part was knowing I would have to wait 4 years to try again...but here I am, proof that life goes on ha ha.
                        Did you ever try calling someone and asking why you were disqualified?

If that happened to me I'd probably have a heart attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by hxd View Post
                          What would they consider an "established" job history or "long-term" employment?

I was with my current company from 2000-2002. Got laid off (doe to downsizing) in 2002. Was called back to the company in 2003. Was laid off again (again, due to downsizing) in 2004. Got called back again in late 2005, where I've been since.
                          The NYSP is looking for individuals who have done something with their lives up until the point they become troopers. Some are prior military, medical staff, engineers, prior LE, etc.. Most have a four year degree, except some of the military guys/girls. Out of the 262 people in my class only a couple were 21, the average age was around 27, with many of them in their mid thirties. So it's not that they want you to work at the same place for a certain amount of time, they just want to see that it's a professional job. 10 consecutive years at walmart stocking shelves won't make you the best candidate.

I can't imagine breaks in employment due to downsizing will hurt you(as long as your company isn't Wendy's), you seemed to be a good enough employee to be hired back two times.

As many have said before don't count on the state police, go on with your lives and do the best with it so when/if the time comes you will be a strong candidate. If you are only interested in law enforcement take every test you can.

Good luck guys.
                          Last edited by WishIKnew; 06-26-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Yeah I did write a letter and was afforded a meeting with a Lieutenant regarding my DQ. She was very professional and constructive, it was not a negative experience at all. At that point it was all I ever wanted to do so it definitely stung. I've become quite successful since then and it would be a pretty significant pay cut for me to be a State Trooper now and I DON'T CARE!!!! I enjoy my current job and at least I'll have that if this doesn't work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by WishIKnew View Post
                              The NYSP is looking for individuals who have done something with their lives up until the point they become troopers..
                              In my session of 26 only two recruits were under 25 and one of them was 24yrs old. It seems like some of the more senior troopers got on closer to 21 but as of late the division is looking for a more mature and experienced candidate.

This upcoming class will be around 50% prior military and another 10%+ will have LE experience. My class had a lot of people with post graduate education/training. The best thing that could happen to the younger candidates on this forum is that they obtain a mediocre score so they have a few more years to gain some life experience.

Originally posted by cadetlinux View Post
                              I've become quite successful since then and it would be a pretty significant pay cut for me to be a State Trooper now and I DON'T CARE!!!! .
                              Welcome to this site! I think it was 4yrs ago we chatted on another site when we were both waiting for the call. My fingers are crossed for you and the others of course

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                                Welcome to this site! I think it was 4yrs ago we chatted on another site when we were both waiting for the call. My fingers are crossed for you and the others of course
                                Yes it was 4 long years ago. Time flew looking back actually. I hope you're doing well!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12721 users online. 476 members and 12245 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X