300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RGratton
    I actually tried to find a Bates retailer in my area to try a pair of Bates Lites, but the only retailer Bates listed in my area had absolutely no real leather Bates oxfords.

I ended up buying some Deer Stags (http://www.deerstags.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=232). They seem comfy and i got them for around 30 dollars on sale, as opposed to the 60 dollars that the website lists. Hopefully I can get a good shine on them.
    Check out this website for good shoe-shine tips for new shoes. I strip them down with Saddle-soap and let the soap sit for 24hours to soften the leather. Then use a hair dryer to heat up the polish to liquid and start pasting on a good coat. Once dry and worked in, start buffing off and reaply another coat. The shoes I have look great!!
    http://www.valpo.edu/afrotc/Shoe_shi...20Low-Quarters

Comment

• Thanks for the tips and link. I'll give your method a try since you know for a fact that it works well. I found several different sets of instructions on the web that didn't seem as good as the one you linked me to.

Comment

• List of things to bring to the academy

Here is my list:

One Suit
        Two white shirts
        Black knit hat
        sweatshirt/pants
        black socks
        white socks
        Alarm clock
        Parade polish
        Shoe shine kit - not sure about this one
        running shoes
        dress shoes/bates
        Binder with paper
        black pens
        toiletrees
        undershirts/wear
        digital watch
        maybe some icey hot/pain killers

Am I missing anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by WishIKnew
          Here is my list:

One Suit
          Two white shirts
          Black knit hat
          sweatshirt/pants
          black socks
          white socks
          Alarm clock
          Parade polish
          running shoes
          dress shoes/bates
          Binder with paper
          black pens
          toiletrees
          undershirts/wear
          digital watch

Am I missing anything?

a lemon- lime speedo for water rescue scenerio ....
          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

• Originally posted by WishIKnew
            Here is my list:

One Suit
            Two white shirts
            Black knit hat
            sweatshirt/pants
            black socks
            white socks
            Alarm clock
            Parade polish
            running shoes
            dress shoes/bates
            Binder with paper
            black pens
            toiletrees
            undershirts/wear
            digital watch

Am I missing anything?
            Yes, you want a cell phone there, to stay in touch with family. Just put it on vibrate during classes. Also, bring a couple of books for light reading. There is a lot of down time, especially the first couple of weeks. Girly magazines are OK, as long as you are discreet about them. (no centerfolds on the wall).

Most guys like to keep some snack food in their room. I'd suggest something wholesome, maybe whole wheat crakers and fruit. Bring enough to share with your quadmates.

Someone really ought to bring a boombox type radio, but you don't want 4 of them. Maybe save that for week 2, so that you can work it out with the quadmates.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Hey, less than a week away now. Excited?

Comment

• Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to all of you who are packing your bags for Albany!!! I'm sure its been a long hard road...and it has finally paid off! Have a great time (or the best that you can)...and keep the goal in sight!!! I hope that Ill eventually be in your shoes!!!

Comment

• Anyone else attending the May 20 processing?

Comment

• 4 more days, good luck to all that are going. I'm yet another body praying to be in your shoes and then working with you all in the near future

Comment

• Originally posted by fusionetworks
                      4 more days, good luck to all that are going. I'm yet another body praying to be in your shoes and then working with you all in the near future
                      Thanks man.. I appreciate the good wishes. Good luck to you as well.

Comment

• Sunday

See all of you there on Sunday, I'm sure the wake-up at the Academy on Monday morning will be bright and EARLY! Good Luck to everyone and I'll see you all there.

Hammer
                        "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Comment

• wow I just recieved some horrible news. I was supposed to start the academy this sunday but my doctor just told me that I have a stress fracture in my left leg caused from running. It takes about 6 weeks to heel and he told me I wouldnt be able to run so that means I am out. I am extremely disappointed but I am trying to look forward to the next academy whenever that is. Does anyone know if this will effect my eligibility at all for the next academy? Well good luck to everyone going sunday.

Comment

• Sorry to hear that...

I don't know what I would do if I had to wait again. When you do start running again try and find a school with a rubberized cork track. I can't tell you how much less impact there is. When you are cleared to work out again get good shoes and don't push to hard to fast. 6 months worth of prep will only make you better when it happens.
                            When you absolutely, posotively have to go 10 miles in 5 minutes- CVPI!!![/

Comment

• Originally posted by MBMB
                              wow I just recieved some horrible news. I was supposed to start the academy this sunday but my doctor just told me that I have a stress fracture in my left leg caused from running. It takes about 6 weeks to heel and he told me I wouldnt be able to run so that means I am out. I am extremely disappointed but I am trying to look forward to the next academy whenever that is. Does anyone know if this will effect my eligibility at all for the next academy? Well good luck to everyone going sunday.

Show up on Sunday anyways. Explain your situation. I believe you will be offered a deferrment to the next class.

If you don't show up at all, they will probably DQ you forever. If you want the job, show up on Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                                Yes, you want a cell phone there, to stay in touch with family. Just put it on vibrate during classes. Also, bring a couple of books for light reading. There is a lot of down time, especially the first couple of weeks. Girly magazines are OK, as long as you are discreet about them. (no centerfolds on the wall).

Most guys like to keep some snack food in their room. I'd suggest something wholesome, maybe whole wheat crakers and fruit. Bring enough to share with your quadmates.

Someone really ought to bring a boombox type radio, but you don't want 4 of them. Maybe save that for week 2, so that you can work it out with the quadmates.
                                You know I'm kidding, right?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5853 users online. 347 members and 5506 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X