Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought I did really well. But my "hook" informed me that I scored an 85.79. I am 100% sure that I got every academic problem right on that test. I rechecked my answers and they were all right. I have a masters degree and I do extremely well on these type of test. So my only conclusion is that the personality portion of the test was my downfall. I'll just have to wait for the official letter with my rank, which will put my score in perspective.

Comment

• Just thinking. I would not be surprised if the test company messed up the scores, and everyone has the wrong scores, or somthing along those lines. Just a thought.
      " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• personality portion

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
        I agree that a re-test will probably never happen but something is messed up with this test.

66 people w/ %100 on a test is not that crazy, but when you factor in a scored personality portion...very strange.
        I took the buffalo police test and it was the same way half with standard test questions and half with personality question. When I got my score it was combined. The test was very very similar except the nysp was shorter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
          There is nothing we can do but wait for the results to be sent.

No point in b*tching, it won't make the process any faster.
          I'm kinda of use to it by now, every single test I have taken except for the NYPD, has had a wait time of 3-9months to receive our scores.
          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisFig View Post
            I thought I did really well. But my "hook" informed me that I scored an 85.79. I am 100% sure that I got every academic problem right on that test. I rechecked my answers and they were all right. I have a masters degree and I do extremely well on these type of test. So my only conclusion is that the personality portion of the test was my downfall. I'll just have to wait for the official letter with my rank, which will put my score in perspective.
            i blew SCPD like that.

i believe i did well on the "academic" part but did not answer well on the personality. looking back, i think i understand what i did wrong.

when i took TEA, i had a better understanding and passed that test fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
              I agree that a re-test will probably never happen but something is messed up with this test.

66 people w/ %100 on a test is not that crazy, but when you factor in a scored personality portion...very strange.
              Any discussuion of a retest is premature.

We don't even know that 66 people got a perfect score. We know that someone posted that 66 people got a perfect score. These are two very different things.

Any discussion of a retest is premature.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Am I the only one here who took the exam who isn't sweating about the results?

I'm now 30. This exam was my last opportunity to get on the list for NYSP. I've been home from work for four hours, and I still haven't checked my mail today. Is there a sense of urgency for me because this is my last shot? There sure is. Is it going to change how I live my life? Absolutely not.

Perhaps I'm a little crusty, and it's reflected in my attitude. Don't bet the farm on NYSP - the odds are against us all. They're an agency that selects the best of the best. Roughly 25k people tested for roughly 1k jobs.

You should be living your backup plan now, with the hopes that you'll be selected to be one of New York State's finest - not putting your life on hold, getting non-selected or DQd, and then suddenly losing the four years of your life that you put on hold. Sure, not getting the job would be a major downer. But trust me, losing four years can be even more of a downer. Just think - that's 20% of your time towards retirement for almost any other agency in NYS.

With that said, I admire your enthusiasm. All of you. And I hope we all did as well on the exam as we hoped for. With any luck, I'll be seeing some of you in the academy soon.
                Last edited by hxd; 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hxd View Post
                  Am I the only one here who took the exam who isn't sweating about the results?

I'm now 30. This exam was my last opportunity to get on the list for NYSP. I've been home from work for four hours, and I still haven't checked my mail today. Is there a sense of urgency for me because this is my last shot? There sure is. Is it going to change how I live my life? Absolutely not.

Perhaps I'm a little crusty, and it's reflected in my attitude. Don't bet the farm on NYSP - the odds are against us all. They're an agency that selects the best of the best. Roughly 25k people tested for roughly 1k jobs.

You should be living your backup plan now, with the hopes that you'll be selected to be one of New York State's finest - not putting your life on hold, getting non-selected or DQd, and then suddenly losing the four years of your life that you put on hold. Sure, not getting the job would be a major downer. But trust me, losing four years can be even more of a downer. Just think - that's 20% of your time towards retirement for almost any other agency in NYS.

With that said, I admire your enthusiasm. All of you. And I hope we all did as well on the exam as we hoped for. With any luck, I'll be seeing some of you in the academy soon.
                  Very well put!
                  Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
                  American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

Comment

• Since this hold up with the grades, will this hold up future academy's?

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Really not that strange...Think about it:

Originally posted by weasel3o3 View Post
                      Combining both is strange because it could mean that a smart individual could conceivably not do well if they second guess themselves on the personality portion, by trying to interpret what the question is looking for (traits).
                      It's not really that strange. A "smart" person with a 4.0 GPA is not necessarily going to make the best trooper, just as those that allegedly scored 100 will not necessarily make the best troopers. No offense to those with 4.0 GPAs or really high exam scores, it's just a fact. Book smarts or how well a test taker you are does not measure your potential ability to succeed in the academy and make a great Trooper (thank God). Do you really think a person that scores 100 on the cognitive abilities portion of the exam but yet scores very poorly on the personality portion would make a good trooper? Probably not, and that is why they have built the personality portion into it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't know why this is such a difficult concept to understand

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                        Any discussuion of a retest is premature.

We don't even know that 66 people got a perfect score. We know that someone posted that 66 people got a perfect score. These are two very different things.

Any discussion of a retest is premature.
                        Agreed on ALL POINTS. Thank you SDT.

Comment

• Originally posted by hxd View Post
                          Am I the only one here who took the exam who isn't sweating about the results?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by goaliebg30 View Post
                              Since this hold up with the grades, will this hold up future academy's?
                              Good question goaliebg30...

One could speculate (and why not, we've been doing A LOT of that on here lately) and say that yes it will delay future academies. Then again those that scored high enough may get their scores in the mail along with their invite for Processing Weekend in Albany (again more speculation).

We must remember, Albany already has our exam scores (supported by the fact that some of us have been able to find them out). Right now it is a matter of getting everyone in order by their rank and then mailing the letters.

The delay could be for any number of reasons, but until we hear the exact reason from a trusted source (SDT and other troopers), speculating will lead no where. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                                Good question goaliebg30...

One could speculate (and why not, we've been doing A LOT of that on here lately) and say that yes it will delay future academies. Then again those that scored high enough may get their scores in the mail along with their invite for Processing Weekend in Albany (again more speculation).

We must remember, Albany already has our exam scores (supported by the fact that some of us have been able to find them out). Right now it is a matter of getting everyone in order by their rank and then mailing the letters.

The delay could be for any number of reasons, but until we hear the exact reason from a trusted source (SDT and other troopers), speculating will lead no where. Just my .02 cents.

Hopefully doesnt hurt us too much.

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6287 users online. 329 members and 5958 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X