Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing in the mail for me today. I spoke with a good source and was told that some backgrounds are still being completed for the May class.

Comment

• Not in the mailbox yet..

I am still empty handed also but I see someone on another forum got thiers and it was postmarked Apr 14th. I live in the sticks and it can take forever if the mailmans donkey gets tired. But I'm not worried. (Thats what I say as I sit in the corner rocking and staring at the mailbox)
      When you absolutely, posotively have to go 10 miles in 5 minutes- CVPI!!![/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranter64
        (Thats what I say as I sit in the corner rocking and staring at the mailbox)
        Hahah.

I have an advantage. One of my relatives is a mail courier, so I can get my mail earlier in the day. Nothing yet though.

Comment

• have they ever set a GPA requirement on the prerequisite education to help narrow down the crowd?

Comment

• Originally posted by fusionetworks
            have they ever set a GPA requirement on the prerequisite education to help narrow down the crowd?
            not that I heard of, 60 credits or 30 credits with 2 years of military service. No mention of GPA at all.

Good luck to all the ones who made it this far... may 8th is fast approaching

Comment

• Don't get me started on education

I'm on pace to make over $115k this year (and I still have 2 more raises to go this year) and I don't have a piece of paper on the wall to brag about. Someone's ability to read a book and regurgitate it the following week on a test does not mean you will make a good cop. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a Trooper... you do however need integrity, honesty and common sense.... Things that weeds out plenty of prospective recruits. Some of the best Troopers I work with had difficulty with academics at the academy. I'd much rather have them backing me up than some of the other people who academicly breezed through the academy but have nothing in the line of common sense.

Lacking common sense sometimes leads to officer safety issues. I'd much rather help someone spell a few words in his arrest report than have to hope my A-line partner isn't going to get us both hurt or killed on a traffic stop.
              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• My take on education is that it can only help you. I enjoy going to school and taking classes and I would do it all again even if I knew that I would never earn any extra money from it. It may not reveal everything about the individual, but going to school for a difficult major and maintaining a good GPA demonstrates a level of dedication. Most of us here have not been hired yet, so anything that we can do to stand above the other 20,000+ applicants is a tremendous help, even if it never benefits us in any other way.

An education and common sense are not mutually exclusive, it just happens to be that some people don't have both. If given the opportunity to advance up the chain of command someday, my education may have helped me get there. In addition, in the event that I am ever injured and unable to continue working as a police officer, I'll have the skills to find a job in another field (had not planned on becoming a police officer when I started college, so I went for something else). This will be my last word on the subject here since I don't want get too off topic.
                Last edited by RGratton; 04-19-2006, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• delete.................
                  Last edited by Montauk; 05-27-2006, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusionetworks
                    have they ever set a GPA requirement on the prerequisite education to help narrow down the crowd?

Jumping off topic...

That wouldn't work!

A 3.5 + in CJ is the norm but anyone with a GPA of 3.5 or higher in Math, Computer Science, or Physics is impressive.

Education isn't everything but I won't say no to an extra $500 a yr. I am 2 classes from a MS if I ever get the chance to take classes again. ***Added*** That being said there are plenty of guys with the minimum education requirements that are far smarter than and I could ever wish to be and write way better reports...

Congrats on the invite Montauk.

Make sure you are all running and doing situps and pushups. Instead of watching TV on the leather recliner I would get in the pushups position and hold it for as long as I could. Get used to that position...
                    Last edited by wannabeenytrp; 04-19-2006, 07:32 PM.
                    Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabeenytrp
                      Make sure you are all running and doing situps and pushups. Instead of watching TV on the leather recliner I would get in the pushups position and hold it for as long as I could. Get used to that position...

Sage advice there.

And congratulations Montauk. Others should be hearing soon.
                      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Montauk
                        Hey guys,

this is my first post on here, i've been following along for a few weeks now, thanks to everyone for the information you posted. i received the academy invitation today. the past week and a half have been crazy waiting for the letter, so if it helps anyone out i just wanted to say i was ranked a little under 2600 and my mailing address is just outside of albany. To those who have gotten the letter and to those who will, all the best to ya, i'll see ya in a couple of weeks. thanks again for posting what information you all have posted, other than this i was pretty much in the dark. Good luck to the guys that will be waiting for the next class.
                        I'm getting a little nervous, my number is right around 2100 and haven't heard anything yet. Guess I'll give it till friday before I really start to panic. I'm assuming invites are done by rank, but I could be wrong. Anyone have more info on how this system works? Does your application go through another review after the medical? Anybody in same boat as me where as they have a low rank and haven't heard?

Congrats to all who have received their letters, and good luck to all who haven't.
                        Last edited by WishIKnew; 04-19-2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• WishIknew,

If it helps there are many of us in the same predicament, there is still plenty of time so hang tight. From what I’ve heard nysp h.r is short staffed and they are still doing some last minute b.i. so things are moving along. In my oppinion i would say everyone who made it to the medical has a good chance of making it in to this class (low show and the dept is pushing for a large class).

By the way, i'm ranked way under 1000 and i havent heard yet. Congrats to everyone who has received their invite, good job!
                          Last edited by Troophopeful; 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WishIKnew
                            I'm getting a little nervous, my number is right around 2100 and haven't heard anything yet. Guess I'll give it till friday before I really start to panic.
                            Hey, slow down there.

Today was the absolute first day that anyone has heard. No need to panic or even feel concerned. One day is just the difference in mail service between zip codes. Relax.
                            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                              Hey, slow down there.
                              For a minute there I thought you were talking to yourself Sarge. It's been a long day.

As far as I know about how things get sent out... it's like every other step in the process... they send out bundles of mail for a few days. I got my letter 3 days before one of my friends who lives in the same city got his... and he was ranked higher than me on the CS list. Like I posted before... It's no guarantee but when I went for my medical... a Lt. told us that if we were at the medical processing... we were going to be appointed to the academy baring any medical issues.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• I'm not all that worked up, though there are guys on one of the other forums who got the letter on Monday.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8559 users online. 383 members and 8176 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X