300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jammer24 View Post
    I did the back to back academies too. I graduated from the NYS Park police academy Fri. May 5, 2006 and was right back in the NYSP academy Sunday May 7, 2006. There were three of us that got to spend a full, fun filled year at the State police academy. Oh the good memories.
    Jammer, if the option comes about, would you recommend the NYSPP, even if it involves back-to-back academies? I am very interested in Parks and would love to work with them if I don't get into the NYSP right away. There is an extremely small chance that I might process with Parks and then be accepted by NYSP. I don't want to give up my chance at Parks but the NYSP is where I want to be eventually. Was Parks upset when you informed them that you were leaving? Thanks. PM me if you'd rather answer that way.

On a different note, any word on when we can expect test results?
    Last edited by OTVFD18; 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• OTVFD18:

From the front page of nytrooper.com:

"Examination Scores for the January / February 2008 exam are not available. We anticipate mailing exam scores sometime at the end of April, 2008. Please do not make phone or e-mail inquiries about your scores. We will mail them as soon as they are available to us."

"When will I get my score?

Candidates should expect grades 10 –12 weeks after taking the examination."

Monday, April 21 will be 10 weeks, Monday May 5 will be 12.

One could make the assumption that they will mail them out the last week in April, and we should know something by the first week in May, according to the information posted on nytrooper.com.

However, it is New York State. Things can change in the blink of an eye.
      Last edited by NYSP61; 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• The Park Police was a great experience. I would strongly recommend going there. You will receive some of the best training available. Also, the time you put in there will count on the front end when it comes to retirement and you will be able to bring over vacation time with you if you get into the State police. The only down side to the Park Police was that they are a state agency and as you know that means you will go wherever they need you. Most of their recruits end up either on Long Island, NYC, or Palisades region(Bear Mountain). They understand that there is better money out there if you make the jump to NYSP so they won't give you a hard time if you want to process for the Troopers if the opportunity comes up. My park police academy class had 6 people processing for the troopers while we were training. 3 of us made it into the 193rd and 2 made it into the 195th. Best of luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
          OTVFD18:

From the front page of nytrooper.com:

"Examination Scores for the January / February 2008 exam are not available. We anticipate mailing exam scores sometime at the end of April, 2008. Please do not make phone or e-mail inquiries about your scores. We will mail them as soon as they are available to us."

"When will I get my score?

Candidates should expect grades 10 –12 weeks after taking the examination."

Monday, April 21 will be 10 weeks, Monday May 5 will be 12.

One could make the assumption that they will mail them out the last week in April, and we should know something by the first week in May, according to the information posted on nytrooper.com.

However, it is New York State. Things can change in the blink of an eye.
          Yea, I saw that. I just remember someone saying we should know by April 9th. Just wondering if someone had some inside info.

Originally posted by Jammer24 View Post
          The Park Police was a great experience. I would strongly recommend going there. You will receive some of the best training available. Also, the time you put in there will count on the front end when it comes to retirement and you will be able to bring over vacation time with you if you get into the State police. The only down side to the Park Police was that they are a state agency and as you know that means you will go wherever they need you. Most of their recruits end up either on Long Island, NYC, or Palisades region(Bear Mountain). They understand that there is better money out there if you make the jump to NYSP so they won't give you a hard time if you want to process for the Troopers if the opportunity comes up. My park police academy class had 6 people processing for the troopers while we were training. 3 of us made it into the 193rd and 2 made it into the 195th. Best of luck.
          That's what I needed to hear. Thank you so much for the info. I think my plan right now is to process with NYSPP and see where it takes me. If along the way, NYSP comes calling, then I will answer. I'm glad to hear that NYSPP doesn't "look down" on the recruits processing with NYSP too. You have now solidified my plan of attack! Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by DubyaSTI View Post
            I was just finishing up my associates degree from the University of Phoenix. There is plenty of work to be done with an online class. A lot of people think of online classes being a joke or an easy way to get a degree but it's certainly not.
            In the early days of the internet, there were some shady outfits offering bogus degrees. They were called degree mills. While some may still exist, I think most of them are gone.

Now, most of them are accredeted by state education departments and offer high-quality education and an degree from an accredited school. If I were an employer, I wouldn't hesitate to hire someone with such a degree.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
              Yea, I saw that. I just remember someone saying we should know by April 9th. Just wondering if someone had some inside info.

That's what I needed to hear. Thank you so much for the info. I think my plan right now is to process with NYSPP and see where it takes me. If along the way, NYSP comes calling, then I will answer. I'm glad to hear that NYSPP doesn't "look down" on the recruits processing with NYSP too. You have now solidified my plan of attack! Thanks again.

I feel your pain about waiting. Everyday im out there harassing the mail guy just to see if the state pulled a fast one and mailed them out early. good luck
              " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Two questions

Two questions for the guys who already went through...

When exactly do you have to be a NYS resident. The site says at time of appointment, but is that after the PAT (during the weekend you must already be a resident) or upon receiving a letter to attend the academy?

Also with the locality pay (and thanks for the #s), is it where you live or are stationed? This may have been answered, but I looked back and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Comment

• After reading through the majority of this thread, it has me nervous now. lol.
                  Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                    I went back and found that post. What he said was that based upon the time frame of the '04 exam we could hear something by April 9th. (March 27 was last test day, results were mailed last week of May '04, according to his post.)

So based on the '04 exam, yes we may here something soon. However, until someone (one of the Troopers on here ) comes forward with inside info, the most current source is the website and your local recruiter, IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by AFAM20 View Post
                      Two questions for the guys who already went through...

When exactly do you have to be a NYS resident. The site says at time of appointment, but is that after the PAT (during the weekend you must already be a resident) or upon receiving a letter to attend the academy?

Also with the locality pay (and thanks for the #s), is it where you live or are stationed? This may have been answered, but I looked back and couldn't find it.

Thanks
                      At appointment means when you start the academy. There are ways around this but I wouldn't reccomend trying to bend the rules as a new recruit. If you want it bad enough... you will spring for an apartment somewhere in NY.

As for COLA... it is based on what barracks you work out of not where you live. And on that topic... COLA does not make it worth it to work in those zones because it doesn't even come close to make up for the diffrence in living costs. Check out what it costs to live in 14454 versus 11901. The pitance that the LI guys make in COLA doesn't even bring them close to the lifestyle I live. There may be Z06's and M3's parked outside the Riverhead Barracks but I'm almost debt free and will retire quite comfortably at 17 years (bought back 3 years military time)... the "downstate" guys I came on with, will most likely, be working several years after I retire just to pay the bills.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• How do you by back military time? What is the max you can reduce TIS? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSPSMDY View Post
                          How do you by back military time? What is the max you can reduce TIS? Thanks
                          http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...ice-credit.htm

You can buy back up to 3 years counting towards retirement on the front end.
                          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                            In the early days of the internet, there were some shady outfits offering bogus degrees. They were called degree mills. While some may still exist, I think most of them are gone.

Now, most of them are accredeted by state education departments and offer high-quality education and an degree from an accredited school. If I were an employer, I wouldn't hesitate to hire someone with such a degree.
                            Be careful with that, folks like DeVry and ITT Technical are still "degree mills" and their credits account for absolutely nothing with an accredited program. I have some friends that learned that the hard way, ended up spending more money (With little to show for it) than folks that just went to a community college and then transferred.

Comment

• Shhhh...don't talk bad about DeVry. They have a banner up at the top right of this webpage. They can hear you.
                              Dutchess County Deputy Sheriff

Written: Nov. 17th, 2007. Scored ~80. First ever civil service taken. Ranked 4xx. Hiring freeze in effect.

New York State Police

Written: Jan. 19th, 2008. Scored an 80.xx. Ranked 11,xxx.

Comment

• *gets dragged away by men in black suits*

They'll never take me alive!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7282 users online. 391 members and 6891 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X