Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't foresee the trooper gate issue having any effect on the rank and file state police or the general hiring process. That said, what Spitzer did was wrong using the State Police as a political weapon is unacceptable, using police to target anyone for personal political gain is corruption at its worst. I feel bad for the State Police who had to become involved with this because of the former Governor's desire for political dominance.

On a lighter note...

Sen Golden is the man... former NYPD Narc Detective... hell of a great guy too.

Comment

• To the guys on the job, if ya'll could take a look at the thread linked at the bottom and give me your opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am caught in a bind and do not want to blow my chances with any agency, especially NYSP. Thanks.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87672

Comment

• OTV, I dont want to post on the ask a cop section b/c I'm not on the job yet. But from one candidate to another I'd take the job. From what I understand you are going to graduate in 09' right? well alot of things can happen in 1 year that may hurt your chances of getting on. Your taking college to get a job, well one is being offered without it. Take the SUNY job, Park PD or any local PD job and be happy you have that piece of plastic that says police. Its a foot in the door for NYSP. You have another couple years before getting on NYSP and that should be enough time to take a few courses to get your degree, and that degree plus NYSPP/SUNYPD will be great for you. As I understand many of NYSP recruits are former military or police, you will fit right in.

Good luck with what you decide.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
          To the guys on the job, if ya'll could take a look at the thread linked at the bottom and give me your opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am caught in a bind and do not want to blow my chances with any agency, especially NYSP. Thanks.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87672
          Otvfd18, Im not on the job, but Im in the same boat as you. Im still trying to figure out if i want to finsh school or not. there really is not right or wrong answers. What i did was write down all the pros and cons to both of your options and see which one looks better. You can always go back to school but it may be tough to fit in to a busy life. If i were you (and i may do the same thing), take the job. College isnt my cup of coffee, i believe that you can learn more out in the feild than in a classroom. just my opinion. Good luck

question: Does the NYSP like to take guys with a BA rather than a someone with 60 credits?
          Last edited by goaliebg30; 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM.
          " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Originally posted by goaliebg30 View Post
            Otvfd18, Im not on the job, but Im in the same boat as you. Im still trying to figure out if i want to finsh school or not. there really is not right or wrong answers. What i did was write down all the pros and cons to both of your options and see which one looks better. You can always go back to school but it may be tough to fit in to a busy life. If i were you (and i may do the same thing), take the job. College isnt my cup of coffee, i believe that you can learn more out in the feild than in a classroom. just my opinion. Good luck

question: Does the NYSP like to take guys with a BA rather than a someone with 60 credits?
            I was lucky enough to finish my degree right before I was hired, but as far as the NYSP goes, as long as you meet all the requirements and background checks, etc, you will be hired whether you have that degree or not. It would not move you ahead in your ranking. I would take the job if offered. Who's to say you will do as well on the next test. My opinion though.
            Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
            American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

Comment

• OTVFD18,

I am also in the exact situation as you with degree v. taking a job, and all I can say is, I'd take the job. These LE spots are hard to come by, and if you get the offer, take it. You can always finish your degree later, but my personal opinion is, why? Unless you really want that piece of paper and you really love school (which I don't).

There are not many jobs out there that will start you at $50k (NYSP) with just a BA. My wife has her BA and MA and is not making that, and shes been in her position for three years. Not to mention the OT opportunities usually available in LE, and the 20 year retirement for most agencies, the benefits, etc.

Again, just my opinion but I will be taking the job when its offered

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the input. Right now, I am deferring all canvass letters except for NYS Park Police and NYSP. Unfortunately, the NYSPP academy is rumored to start in October 2008. However, I still plan on continuing the process with them and seeing where it takes me.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                    Unless you really want that piece of paper and you really love school (which I don't).

There are not many jobs out there that will start you at $50k (NYSP) with just a BA. My wife has her BA and MA and is not making that, and shes been in her position for three years. Not to mention the OT opportunities usually available in LE, and the 20 year retirement for most agencies, the benefits, etc.

Again, just my opinion but I will be taking the job when its offered
                    Its good to see im not the only one that believes this!!

thanks Standing Tall
                    Last edited by goaliebg30; 04-07-2008, 08:26 PM.

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Look at online classes...

Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                      Don't expect to finish your degree if you get on with the NYSP unless you only have a class or two to go. Taking classes with 12 hour shifts that are on different days every week makes it almost impossible unless you can find an online classes that fit the requirements.
                      I'm on in NJ, work 60 hours per week, and am working on two MA degrees. It can be done. I also work a straight 8 hour schedule (NYSP pitman schedule would make it easier to complete the degree).

The secret is online classes. You have to do some work, but usually you have a week to complete assignments. Check out Thomas Edison State College (NJ) or Univ of Phoenix (AZ)...they have excellent programs and may count your NY police certificate as credit (they count NJ). Also you can get credit for experience.

Definately finish your degree. It doesn't replace world/street experience, but you never know how the requirements for supervisor may change in the future...you may need a degree. Plus the suits love cops having it...and no matter where you work, at some point you have to keep the suits happy!!

A question or two for NYSP guys...what is the average rank they usually get to for the first academy class? Also, do guys get sent to NYC out of the academy?

Thanks

Comment

• Online classes are great. Have two classes out of my six online. you can work at your own pace and their great to take if your busy!!

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• +1 for the online classes. Personally, I work 50-60 hours per week and attend school part time. If it weren't for the online classes, I probably wouldnt be a student.

To add to what AFAM20 said, Penn State also has a very well respected online program. I believe they call it the "PSU World Campus". Its quite popular with active duty service members who are pursuing their BA/BS. Im thinking of transferring their this summer.

Good luck.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• OTV:

This wouldn't even be a close decision for me. The NYSPP and the NYSUP are good agencies and you will have your foot int he door. You would be in the state system and your time should count on the back end. I have said it before the SPP guys where I work are very aggresive with V+T and make a few penal law arrests too. They also have backed me up on whole lot of calls.

More importantly a BI can talk to your partners and ask what you are like to work with and how you respond to real life LE situations. To be honest with you the CJ (or whatever title they put on your degree) is basically worthless other than it being a degree. For those insightful people who think the BA will help down the line for promotions, you got to get in before you make it down the line... Being prior LE and being 4 classes shy of your degree or having a degree: which do you think would honestly help you more???

Almost every major college provides online classes. You are still young and single (I think) so taking a few online classes won't kill you.

Comment

• Having a LE job or not having a job is the important fact to remember.

Second fact is that the BA/BS is a degree that will give you an entry level job in some places that will be below what an apprentice plumber makes. So evaluate the value of the degree for what you want to do in life.
                              Some jobs it is just the jumping off point to law school (not that we need MORE of them) or med school (can you afford the insurance after getting your MD and still pay off your loans) and necessary.
                              One Aunt raised 4 kids into elementary school then went and got her BA and teaching certs for NJ. Taught 4th grade for some years, took the LSAT, went to Law School at night while still teaching. Got her law degree, kissed the kids goodbye and took job in NYC went on to good career.
                              Friend of Dad, was NJSP full time at academy, went to law school at night. Got JD degree after many years, retired with pension and now is Lawyer specializing in MV cases.

Comment

• MAKE THE CLASS SIZE 105! MY LETTER CAME TODAY! For all those still waiting, keep the faith, and good luck to everyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4873 users online. 230 members and 4643 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X