300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by arls116 View Post
    I think I'm in the same boat as DubyaSTI, I couldn't take the waiting any longer so I called member hiring and they basically told me to just keep waiting. I'm assuming that I'm not getting an invite. Kinda sucks not knowing either way though.

Is the back-fill thing for real?
    Does anybody have any idea what the final class size is?
    Yes, the back-fill is for real.

I haven't heard the class size yet, but I did get an invite to the orientation today.

Comment

• backfill??

Do any current members know anything about backfill?
      How could that work? Do they have you report to the academy with 24 hours notice or something?

I'm curious because if that were to happen to me, I would basically have to leave my current employer without any prior notice of resignation. My chief already knows about processing and such but as I've told him from the beginning of that ordeal that I had no guarantees as to when and if I would be leaving.

Even though I haven't received any confirmation or regection from Member Hiring, it might that means that Dubya and I may still have a shot at this!!

Comment

Even though I haven't received any confirmation or regection from Member Hiring, it might that means that Dubya and I may still have a shot at this!!
        I am still in the boat just as you guys are, feelin unhappy is an understatement, Just wondering though, do you absolutely get a letter of rejection/disqual if your not invited to the academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
          Kind of off topic but...

What is the feeling of requesting Troop T out of the academy? Does this ever happen? Do you sworn guys feel like it is a good idea? Or would someone be horribly ridiculed for such a request?
          It never happens as a matter of policy. We don't send new Academy graduates to the T-way, ever.
          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSPSMDY View Post
            I have two siblings who have been in serious trouble with the law: drugs, bank theft, DWI's, lots of jail time etc. Could this keep me from becoming a trooper? I would assume not, but I have done that before, and it has backfired! Thanks
            This will not keep you out. You will be evaluated base upon your actions and your charactor, not your that of your relatives.

Comment

Do any current members know anything about backfill?
              How could that work? Do they have you report to the academy with 24 hours notice or something?

I'm curious because if that were to happen to me, I would basically have to leave my current employer without any prior notice of resignation. My chief already knows about processing and such but as I've told him from the beginning of that ordeal that I had no guarantees as to when and if I would be leaving.

As stated, when someone quits early in the Academy they will "back-fill" with the next person on the list. Budget has approved the position, so we are going to try to fill it. I worked as an ATO for 2 classes, and I think we would backfill until shortly after the first weekend they had off, like Wednesday of week 2. After that, we would simply not fill the vacancy, as training was too far along.

If you get called to back-fill, they will expect you to report very quickly, not necessarily tommorow, but very quickly. If/when you get such a call, discuss your particular situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by ML75 View Post
                Yes, the back-fill is for real.

I haven't heard the class size yet, but I did get an invite to the orientation today.
                Yeah, recruiter called me too about the orientation. Anyone know if it is just something for family to get a better idea of what you will be doing at the academy? or will it be beneficial to recruits too.
                sigpic
                IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                  As stated, when someone quits early in the Academy they will "back-fill" with the next person on the list. Budget has approved the position, so we are going to try to fill it. I worked as an ATO for 2 classes, and I think we would backfill until shortly after the first weekend they had off, like Wednesday of week 2. After that, we would simply not fill the vacancy, as training was too far along.

If you get called to back-fill, they will expect you to report very quickly, not necessarily tommorow, but very quickly. If/when you get such a call, discuss your particular situation.
                  Thanks for the details, I'm hoping I get that chance!

Comment

• [QUOTE=arls116;1172550Do they have you report to the academy with 24 hours notice or something?
                    !![/QUOTE]

If you are a backfill the academy wll let you know that prior to the academy starting. They will tell you be ready to go at a moments notice. One of the backfills got the call at 9:00am, lived 3 hours away and arrived in Albany at 2:00pm.

If you are a backfill you could tell your employer this and let them know you could be called at a moments notice. We only backfilled for the first 3 days...

Comment

• I didn't receive my appointment letter either. I was very upset at first, but you have to keep strong and positive. I am really hoping I get a call to be a "back-up/ fill-in." I want this job so bad, I would do it for free.

Comment

• I called member hiring today just to see what if any information I could get about my status. The only information the trooper had for me was that there were 104 invited to the academy.

So is your rank number just based off of your original written test score, or are there other factors that contribute?

Comment

• Originally posted by DubyaSTI View Post
                          I called member hiring today just to see what if any information I could get about my status. The only information the trooper had for me was that there were 104 invited to the academy.

So is your rank number just based off of your original written test score, or are there other factors that contribute?
                          104! that sucks... there were only 160 of us at that final processing. I witnessed several fail out that day too.

The few of us that didn't get letters must be like #105, #106....

Anyone know if since we got passed on this session, are we to get a shot at the next session or is the next session solely drawn from the new exam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                            Is there a reason for this practice? Is the T-way considered more dangerous
                            or prestegious among NYSP Troops?

I know that NJSP will not send rookies to the GSP or NJTP. I think you need a few years, from reading Turnpike Trooper the NJTP "Black Dragon" is for the best troops.
                            psp generally never sent new grads to the turnpike, but our class was huge, and one went...he said that it is so boring. the captain of the turnpike stayed at the academy alot while we were there, he said that he thinks that guys should have at least 5 on before going to the turnpike because, you really dont do "the job". crashes, and citations..i would think that could get old quick

Comment

• Good luck to everyone in the future
                              Think positive, stay positive

Comment

• Originally posted by DubyaSTI View Post
                                Yes, your rank is determined by your test score only. The ranking actually can change based upon the military supplemental testing, but the other phases of testing (physical fitness, eyesight, poly, etc) do not alter your spot on the list.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9158 users online. 437 members and 8721 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X