Mr. X
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by AnyPD
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny...,3127213.story

Suozzi, Levy to call for cuts to highway patrols
    BY RICK BRAND AND REID EPSTEIN

[email protected]; [email protected]

April 1, 2008

Playing political hardball, Long Island's county executives today will announce plans to begin taking its highway patrol officers off the Long Island Expressway and Sunrise Highway starting May 1 to counter state budget cuts.

Nassau's Thomas Suozzi and Suffolk's Steve Levy, within view of the expressway, will disclose plans for a phased withdrawal in a noon news conference in Melville, starting with a 25 percent cutback.

"We are left with no choice but to start removing county officers from state roads and make the state police perform its role," Levy said.

The counties are undertaking the power play in the wake of a tentative state budget plan that calls for a 2 percent across-the-board reduction in county revenue sharing. Nassau and Suffolk officials say the cuts add $4 million to the $10 million in state budget reductions each county was facing.

Under the executives' plan, Nassau and Suffolk make further 25 percent cuts every three months until there are no patrols as of Feb. 1, 2009. Nassau has more than 175 highway officers; Suffolk, about 90.

Each county spends $12 million annually to patrol local state highways while state troopers perform that same function in the rest of the state. On Long Island, troopers patrol the state parkways and Sunrise Highway on the East End.

Gary DelaRaba, Nassau Police Benevolent Association president, called the move "a good negotiation position" and supports the county's efforts to recoup lost state aid. But he added, "I don't think this is a practical way to go. Everyone should use their heads before they take positions to put the public safety in jeopardy."

"It's an absolute disgrace," said Jeff Frayler, Suffolk PBA president, adding that a fast response from highway units is "vital to public safety."

Levy said he has asked the prior two governors to put state troopers on state highways but his request was denied. "Ironically, they tell Long Island no," Levy said. "But Gov. [Eliot] Spitzer earlier this year proposed sending 200 state troopers to upstate cities like Buffalo to patrol neighborhoods up there."

In his State of the State message, Spitzer had called for using troopers to patrol high-crime areas in upstate cities.
    We are fighting to equalize the disbursement in the Senate. It will save the State money but county taxes/services will be re-adjusted if it goes through. Unfortunately their is only so much money to play with this year and a boat load of services and programs are being cut at the Human Services and Health tables.

Comment

• reils49
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by GrayPatriot
      I wouldn't eat a big lunch on your first day as the academy staff has pizza and sodas for you. After that first night it is all down to business though...

Are you serious? I was expecting the good ol' "GET OFF MY BUS!!!!", yellow footprints style welcome.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• goaliebg30
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by reils49
        Are you serious? I was expecting the good ol' "GET OFF MY BUS!!!!", yellow footprints style welcome.
        hahaha....im sure GrayPatriot is just having some fun with you guys headed to the academy. i would bring a Box- of- Joe for the staff....less cups to carry
        " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• AnyPD
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2008

Anyone know a good running schedule to get my time down to around 10min...its never too early to start

Comment

• ME1998
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Trooper4985
            I saw a teletype with a list of the instructors and that date on it so I would venture a guess that the appointment letters are not wrong
            i was actually curious about the actual month...

Comment

• NYSP61
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2006

Anyone care to comment on if they think the state/Paterson's budget cuts will affect the size of future academies for the next couple of years?

Thanks!

Comment

• reils49
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by goaliebg30
                hahaha....im sure GrayPatriot is just having some fun with you guys headed to the academy. i would bring a Box- of- Joe for the staff....less cups to carry

Im not academy bound yet. Soon though.....I hope.

Comment

• SlowDownThere
                  Cherub of Justice
                  • Sep 2005

Congratulations to all who got their letter!

I'm asked this almost every class, so I'd thought I'd post it again before being asked. What is a typical day like?

Well, it's true, you get up early. But you will be surpirized how quickly you get used to that. After a while, you come to enjoy it, especially now that spring is here. I always enjoyed making some good coffee in my room, reading the newspaper, maybe starting the crossword puzzle, prior to the day's work starting.

Then there is morning PT. I prefer to run, but other chose to do aerobics, weight-lifting, or yoga. I never got into the yoga stuff, but hey, to each his own. They had a licensed massage therapist in on most mornings, but I don't like strangers touching me, so I never went for that.

After the morning workout, there is breakfast. I'd suggest you eat light, so as not to get sleepy during morning classes. There is usually a nice assortment of fresh fruit, omlets made to order, at least one type of breakfast meat too. The double-smoked ham is great, btw.

Then all morning, you take academic classes. They are not too hard, but at least look like you are paying attention. Frankly, this is a good time to finish up the crossword puzzle you started earlier. I understand that they have lightened up a little bit on cell phones too. It's OK to excuse yourself from class to make or receive a call. Just keep the phone I vibrate, however. They get made if it rings during class.

After class you get a full hour for lunch (I think it's a law that they have to give you a full hour). If you find yourself gaining weight, skip lunch and take a nap instead.

After class are more classes. yada yada yada

After the classes are over, you have dinner and some free time at night. Dinner is clearly the best meal of the day. Every wednesday is steak night, and they charcoal grille them to order. They used to make a dellish bernaise sauce, let's hope they still do. Once again, the food is very good If you find yourself gaining weight, skip dessert. I don't know how they make all of those homemade baked good, however.

After dinner, I liked to unwind watching some TV. Other people went for a nice walk (One guy lived nearby and his wife would show up everynight and they would walk the dog together, that's nice). There are even some hard-core types that worked out again, jeesch! You don't have to impress anyone, so lighten up already.

Tommorow, I'll let you know what stuff to bring from home to make your dorm room more comfortable. Stand by for that.
                  Last edited by SlowDownThere; 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM.
                  You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Sword
                    Forum Member
                    • Jan 2008

hysterical!!!

Comment

• FUCCO
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2006

u failed to mention movie night in the main lecture hall on thursdays at 7pm

Comment

• reils49
                        Forum Member
                        • Sep 2006

wow, SDT makes it sound like a country club

Comment

• ATrooper2b
                          Harry Callahan
                          • Dec 2006

Sorry SDT, but we're not falling for that speech like the last class did. Especially the speech on how we can bring small refrigerators, Ipods, portable dvd players etc. and can ask one of the sargents to load it on a cart and bring to our room.

I think it's sad/funny though, that someone actually believed you and brought that stuff.
                          Last edited by ATrooper2b; 04-01-2008, 06:41 PM.
                          sigpic
                          IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• SlowDownThere
                            Cherub of Justice
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ATrooper2b
                            Sorry SDT, but we're not falling for that speech like the last class did. Especially the speech on how we can bring small refrigerators, Ipods, portable dvd players etc. and can ask one of the sargents to load it on a cart and bring to our room.

I think it's sad/funny though, that someone actually believed you and brought that stuff.

Ah you remember that eh?

Someone actually brought that stuff?
                            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• hxd
                              Regrouping
                              • Jul 2007

I wouldn't even think about bringing that stuff...

... as long as I can have my steak and eggs while I'm reading my newspaper every morning.

Comment

• weasel3o3
                                Mr. X
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by NYSP61
                                Anyone care to comment on if they think the state/Paterson's budget cuts will affect the size of future academies for the next couple of years?

Thanks!
                                I highly doubt it, it would be one of the last places the legislature would want to cut.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12189 users online. 74 members and 12115 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...