300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    Ask Gray State what it's like to live in the dorms with a big class.
    I've heard, 8 ppl- 1 shower

Maybe a smaller class is better

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
      While it's great to hire lots of people, smaller classes are better in some ways.

Smaller class size, less crowded dorms etc.

Ask Gray State what it's like to live in the dorms with a big class.
      Just like kids in school... smaller class means more individualized attention, thus better training in most situations. Only downfall I can see is if your a screwup you can guarantee you will get the more individualized attention than the rest of the class.
      sigpic
      IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Smallest class?

SDT or anyone else know what the smallest class to go in was during recent years?
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
          SDT or anyone else know what the smallest class to go in was during recent years?
          Well the 194th was only 74 members, that was pretty small.

Comment

Actually, that budget is for all new recruits in the next 2 classes will be issued 24k gold guns, badges, belt buckles, hat pins, whistles, handcuffs, ASP batons and teeth for anyone who might be missing a few.

They will continue this procedure in 2009 if most of the Troopers don't sell their equipment on ebay.

All kidding aside, 5.6 million sounds like alot for 2 classes, but after you figure all training and salary costs for atleast 200+ new recruits at 25k each (6 months) it just about evens out (25,000 X 200 = 5,000,000). So, it's pretty safe to assume that between the next 2 classes they will hire slightly over 200 people throughout 2008.
            Didn't the article say they would be giving an additional 5.6 million for additional troopers. Since they are already planning on hiring about 107 recruits, wouldn't that money just add to this class and then the rest go towards the following class? So what I am trying to say, wouldn't they be looking to hire around 300 between the next two class. The 107 they want now and a additonal 200.
            NYSP............
            Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
            Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

If you look back at the press releases on the NYSP website, the 185th had 76 graduate and the 194th had 74 graduate. Those were the smallest I could see going back to 2001. The rest ranged from around 100 to 245 between then and now besides those two classes.
              NYSP............

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
              Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperhopefull View Post
                If you look back at the press releases on the NYSP website, the 185th had 76 graduate and the 194th had 74 graduate. Those were the smallest I could see going back to 2001. The rest ranged from around 100 to 245 between then and now besides those two classes.
                And with 76 or 74 graduating, that means the class size was likely at least 80 at the beginning. Also keep in mind that it's unlikely there would be an academy any smaller than those 2. There is likely a minimum cost to starting the academy and that once that minimum is invested, the State will want to maximize it's use. It's probably a safe guess that 70-80 is the smallest group worth investing the academy resources on starting a Basic training class for.

Comment

• Originally posted by ML75 View Post
                  And with 76 or 74 graduating, that means the class size was likely at least 80 at the beginning. Also keep in mind that it's unlikely there would be an academy any smaller than those 2. There is likely a minimum cost to starting the academy and that once that minimum is invested, the State will want to maximize it's use. It's probably a safe guess that 70-80 is the smallest group worth investing the academy resources on starting a Basic training class for.
                  I would like to see everyperson that passed all of the stages get a chance to get into the academy. It would be ashame that people had to go through this whole process and don't get a chance to get into the academy because there wasn't enough money in the budget.
                  NYSP............

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Didn't the article say they would be giving an additional 5.6 million for additional troopers. Since they are already planning on hiring about 107 recruits, wouldn't that money just add to this class and then the rest go towards the following class? So what I am trying to say, wouldn't they be looking to hire around 300 between the next two class. The 107 they want now and a additonal 200.
                    I would like to hope that is the case like you say, but if only 140 something showed up and atleast 10% failed there most likely will not be more than 120 people this class being they need some backfills too. This is just my educated opinion on the situation and hope for the sake of everyone who showed up I am wrong.

As far as the budget goes... that 5.6 milliom is most probably the total allowed expenses for the upcoming class and Fall class.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OOC910 View Post
                      Well the 194th was only 74 members, that was pretty small.
                      Well atleast this class will start out over 20% bigger than the smallest in recent years and hopefully increase a bit more by the start of the April class.
                      sigpic

Comment

• If they start a class sometime in April (the 20th from what people on here are saying) would the fall 2008 class (from the new list) start in late October or would they wait until November '08?

I thought I remember reading that there was about a two week break between classes, but if someone could refresh my memory that would be great.

Just curious, thank you!
                        Last edited by NYSP61; 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                          If they start a class sometime in April (the 20th from what people on here are saying) would the fall 2008 class (from the new list) start in late October or would they wait until November '08?

I thought I remember reading that there was about a two week break between classes, but if someone could refresh my memory that would be great.

Just curious, thank you!
                          The past few classes have had over a month break between them. Since the next class wouldn't end till the end of October, if it starts on April 20th, I don't see the next class starting before November.
                          NYSP............

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Yep, I would agree with Trooperhopefull by saying Nov/Dec for the next class as long as this April one isn't delayed.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Acting Superintendent Felton is retiring according to www.troopers.state.ny.us.

Who is going to replace him, and how does that work? Is it automatically the next one down the rank (deputy super. then becomes super.?) or is there some other process?

Thanks!

Comment

, I don't see the next class starting before November.
                                I hope so! My EAS from the marine corps is october.
                                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7931 users online. 204 members and 7727 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X