300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Time

The day is almost here, and I can't help but to feel anxious yet a bit nervous as after all this time of processing, the Medical Day is here..

I want to wish everyone Good Luck...
    See you all soon.

Comment

• Less than 4 days to go till the medical............
      As 2xvet says, good luck to you all.

Comment

• Oh the memories

I'm in upstate NY, and I was reading through the threads and a flood of memories came rushing back. Good Luck to everyone going down for the medical try to remember some faces because you will see them again real soon. Just not a bright and happy as you see them now.

If I can offer a piece of advise, Believe in yourself, believe that you can do this, this is a great job, but you have to want it. No one is going to hand this to you. There will be days when you miss your wife,kids,husbands, families etc... Your gonna have times when your roomates will **** you off, you'll be in a bad mood etc.. this is where I think being in the military helps people, military people are used to being F**ked with. Your going to see people that you think would make a great Trooper get up one day and quit. Just believe in yourself!!

take care and good luck. there a plenty of DIR's for everyone.

Comment

• Hello everyone! I have been following the posts for a few days, and I am excited to finally have an active account that will allow me to make my first post! Congrats to all who are on the brink of seeing their dreams and hardwork fall into place! I used to dream of a career in law enforcement...but for some reason i put the idea on a "back burner"...until recently. I have one more year of school before I get my BA, and after speaking with several Troopers and doing a great deal of reading, I have decided that it is the path I want to take. I am familiar with the selection process...but I am desperately trying to absorb as much information as possible. I would greatly appreciate any advice you could offer! The next written exam is still a long time away, so I have a good deal of time to make myself a stronger applicant. Unfortunately, I dont know what would be best! Any help would be great! Also, I had surgery 4 years ago to repair a torn ACL in my knee. My knee is fully rehabed...and i have absolutely no problems with it...but I am concerned it could result in a DQ! Does anyone know how prior injuries are handled? Sorry for the rediculously long post...but thank you all in advance for you help! Again, congrats and goodluck!

Comment

• Originally posted by manr0e
            Hello everyone! I have been following the posts for a few days, and I am excited to finally have an active account that will allow me to make my first post! Congrats to all who are on the brink of seeing their dreams and hardwork fall into place! I used to dream of a career in law enforcement...but for some reason i put the idea on a "back burner"...until recently. I have one more year of school before I get my BA, and after speaking with several Troopers and doing a great deal of reading, I have decided that it is the path I want to take. I am familiar with the selection process...but I am desperately trying to absorb as much information as possible. I would greatly appreciate any advice you could offer! The next written exam is still a long time away, so I have a good deal of time to make myself a stronger applicant. Unfortunately, I dont know what would be best! Any help would be great! Also, I had surgery 4 years ago to repair a torn ACL in my knee. My knee is fully rehabed...and i have absolutely no problems with it...but I am concerned it could result in a DQ! Does anyone know how prior injuries are handled? Sorry for the rediculously long post...but thank you all in advance for you help! Again, congrats and goodluck!
            Guys have shredded themselves at the academy, been dropped for not being able to continue training and brought right back in the next academy class... I can't imagine that they would DQ you for knee surgery.
            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• deleted. thank you
              Last edited by manr0e; 04-09-2006, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks Trooper 4985! I have one more question for all of you that has me extremely concerned. I am hesitant to openly talk about it, but in my opinion...honesty is the only option. I feel strongly that a person's character and integrity (especially a Trooper's) are the among the most important qualities for defining who they truly are. With that said, I think it is more honorable to admit a mistake, take responsibility for it, and then learn from it...then to hide the mistake or lie about it. Anyway, my first year of school involved quite a bit of partying (as most do). Unfortunately, that sometimes involved marijuana...and on a couple of occasions, cocaine. I used cocaine only a few of times (3 or 4) all within a period of a few weeks. I have not used any illegal substances in nearly two years...and I don't ever plan to in the future! I have learned from my mistakes, and now spend most of my free time in the gym instead of a party. I would love to know how you all feel about it...and also, how an interviewer would feel about it! Please dont sugar-coat your responses! If i am already in a hole I cant climb out of, ill just have to accept it! Either way, I just want to know! thanks in advance...
                Drug usage in itself is not an immediate DQ but there is no finite answer I can give you... It comes down to your BI and Albany. A couple of years for something like coke... I would probably say now is too soon but you have some time before the next test and processing so maybe you wont get shot down. I openly admit to smoking weed 3 times when I was in college during my junior year... that was when I was 21... I didn't process till I was 27 and I had no issues. Like you, I thought it (weed) was going to be a big deal but from what I've heard from some of the Investigators... they look at you harder if you say you never tried it because it is so prevalent in today's society and they think you are possibly lieing about drug usage.
                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Here is a question that just popped into my mind. As a child I had asthma, but luckily I grew out of it completely at age 13. Haven't had a single symptom or anything since and I'm now 23. I know for military asthma is a DQ, because the USMC DQ'd me for it because I refused to lie about having it as a child. I know there are waivers to get aroud it, but I wasn't about to lie. Are the state police the same way and will they look down on my application due to the USMC DQ for asthma or the childhood asthma itself? Thanks.

Comment

• [QUOTE=manr0e]Unfortunately, that sometimes involved marijuana...and on a couple of occasions, cocaine. I used cocaine only a few of times (3 or 4) all within a period of a few weeks. I have not used any illegal substances in nearly two years...QUOTE]

I can almost guarantee you won't get in based on the cocaine usage. Also, the fact that there is less than 2 yrs since you used an illegal substance does not look good... I suggest you seek another line of work! Go ahead and take the exam in 2007, but I am thinking you will be knocked out really early in the process --as you should be!

Fusion: A guy in my session took a blast of his inhaler before running a 9:15 1.5 miler in the academy. His asthma didn't seem to stop im from getting hired...
                    Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabeenytrp
                      Fusion: A guy in my session took a blast of his inhaler before running a 9:15 1.5 miler in the academy. His asthma didn't seem to stop im from getting hired...
                      Sounds like good information to me. If you can perform with your asthma, I don't see it knocking you out.

wannabeenytrp: "my session" ? You on the job now?
                      You got to change your name guy.
                      Last edited by SlowDownThere; 04-05-2006, 11:52 AM.
                      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• deleted. thank you
                        Last edited by manr0e; 04-09-2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                          wannabeenytrp: "my session" ? You on the job now?
                          You got to change your name guy.

Yeah, you have more time gasing up a troop car than I have on the job ;-)

I have been emailing the mods for close to a year now but no name change yet. They changed my name on another police forum site though...

Comment

• thanks a lot for the information. It was a wierd one, just kinda woke up one morning and had completely grown out of it. And have been great ever since.

Comment

For example: terrible students---> amazing teachers and advisors, criminals and violent gang members ----> religious leaders, drug addicts ----> drug coucelors!...
                              They are the exception not the norm... You would have to look long and hard to find the above examples...

Use the search function on this and other LE forums and see what kind of responses you will find to your questions. Most agencies tolerate MJ when it is experimemtal (3-15 depending on the agency and usually over 3 years at least since last usage).

New Jersey DQ, which is typical

FBI drug DQ

The applicants for NYSP are very diverse and have plenty of life experience; In my quad of 6 for example: a physical therapist, a physcian's Assistant, a Marine Capt, prior LE, and 5 of the 6 were prior military...

I am thinking with at least a degree, military time, and perhaps a pilots license (very valuable as we have the 2nd largest aviation unit in the State besides the Air National Guard). During all that time you have to maintain good credit and stay out of trouble.

Best of Luck

Comment

• deleted. thank you
                                Last edited by manr0e; 04-09-2006, 08:33 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12199 users online. 421 members and 11778 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X