300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to the 195th...

Even though you are a Trooper now you may still get referred to as the recruit or Probationary Trooper. The term recruit will be dropped as soon as you are off FTO. I know this has been discussed in length as the academy but just in case you were daydreaming let me remind you the FTO is a volunteer position and they don't receive any additional pay for taking you on board. You are still being evaluated during FTO so if you have a cocky attitude simply leave it at the door and pay attention to what you are being told. Also, ask plenty of questions, but don't question the FTO ;-)

Originally posted by GrayState View Post
    I hope the next class is bigger than 107... Maybe it will get bumped up if the School Resource Officers are saved. The sooner it starts the better though.
    They are actually hoping (as always) for a bigger class in April.

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
    just a word of advice, listen when they tell you not to post anything on the internet....because i WAS called out in evening briefing, not because i wrote anything bad, but just so they could let me know that they knew who i was and that world isn't anonymous.
    I believe I told a few of the guys from your class who were ending their posts with their name to cease doing so... Most of the posts are harmless but some guys on here have in the past showed a bit of attitude and trust me someone somewhere has taken note of that. Where it becomes a problem when someone posts something that could potentially bring shame or dishonor to the division. An officer from another forum board had a defense attorney pull all his posts and highlighted some remarks he made about motorists and whatnot... Careful what you post!!!

Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
    Those are FTO assignments... 2 classes ago there were 4 guys who got E as a first duty assignment but that is not the norm.
    Beat me to this... again! My class was split almost evenly between B, F, and K, with a handful getting G and D.

Comment

• My wifes friend is a Trooper in troop k and he lives on the island like me. When he does his three days on his stays over up in his barracks and sleeps over their. He says they have bunks in his barracks. I was wondering if all barracks have bunks or just some of the older ones because if I am lucky enough to get in, I know I won't get troop L and I won't be able to sell my house that fast in this wonderfull housing market on the island so I will probably have to do the same thing if I am stationed far away from the island.
      NYSP............
      Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
      Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Troops

Sorry about the double hiccup...

The press release just had the Troop assignment, town/phone number of Troop HQ, Name, and home town, and that these were FTO assignments. It did not contain the specific barracks.
        Do you stay within these specific Troops after FTO or can you be transferred to another Troop in the "normal" course of daily business within NYSP ? Without you requesting the transfer.
        For example, if 10 requests for transfer to Troop A are on file from veteran Troopers in other Troops will their requests be approved after FTO for the current new class and those 10 slots be filled by the new members. Or is that taken into account from the first FTO Troop assignments ?
        I noted, for example, one going into Troop L who had Schenectady as the home town.

Comment

• You need to have your eyes corrected before the PT weekend or you will be sent home and told to come back. A kid showed up to my proscessing weekend wearing military issue BCG's that were about 1/2" thick... he did great on the PT test as he just got out of the Marine Corps but they sent him home right after the run.
          They sent him home and when was he asked to come back? On the website it states "Surgery must be completed at least 30 days prior to physical ability testing. If a candidate is not able to complete the surgery prior to physical ability testing date then the candidate must have documentation showing that an appointment to have the surgery completed has been made within two weeks after the PAT."

So your recommendation would be to make sure the surgery is completed before the PAT? Don't give the Academy any reasons to postpone my process right?

How much time is given between the invite to the PAT and the PAT weekend?

Comment

• Hello everybody. I am a first time poster here and would like to thank everyone for all the valuable info I have received by following this thread over the past year or so.

I also have received a medical invite for March, 15. This will be my first time for the medical. I understand that many people have been to multiple medical exams, being that this next class (hopefully in April) will be that last class from the 2004 list is it safe to say that anyone being "passed over" or not hired after this medical will have to start the process all over again from square one... considering they took the 2008 test and there number gets called for processing?

I ask because I took the supplemental test for military in 2005 and the deferred until Aug 2007 and would hate to have to go through the whole entire process all over again.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• When I spoke to my recruiter he mentioned that a lot of guys come back to L.I. and Troop L to do their FTO, and then get sent upstate for a few years before having the opportunity to come back to Troop L. He suggested that anyone that gets hired and graduates the academy asks for FTO upstate because they will most likely be stationed there after FTO, and the differences in the type of police work they do here and upstate as drastic.

I found this information really helpful and figured most potential Troopers from L.I. would find it interesting as well.
                New York State Police Exam - 02/09/2008
                New York Police Department Exam - 02/28/2008
                Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff Exam - 05/17/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisFig View Post
                  How much time is given between the invite to the PAT and the PAT weekend?
                  When I received my initial processing packet, the lead time was 4 weeks. Make sure you're doing your sit-ups and push-ups before you get that initial invite (speaking from experience).

Comment

• Those of us who took the exam just this past winter wont be canvassed/processed until the start of this summer assuming we ranked high enough of course?
                    "Carpe Diem"

Comment

• One of the guys from my station that was at the academy last week for FTO school overheard the academy staff saying that they will be keeping the SRO's and the spring class will be approx. 200 to account for IMPACT. Of course this is just a rumor and things change day to day in division. Good luck to all that are processing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Guardian View Post
                        Those of us who took the exam just this past winter wont be canvassed/processed until the start of this summer assuming we ranked high enough of course?
                        I believe that those who took the test over the summer will start processing this summer for the "fall class". But you never know when they will have a class. Just speaking from rumors.
                        " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Originally posted by Jammer24 View Post
                          One of the guys from my station that was at the academy last week for FTO school overheard the academy staff saying that they will be keeping the SRO's and the spring class will be approx. 200 to account for IMPACT. Of course this is just a rumor and things change day to day in division. Good luck to all that are processing.
                          This is what they are hoping for. As of today the SRO program has only a short time left, but I believe the teachers union has yet to weigh in and the republicans in the senate oppose the idea so it is expected to be fought and hopefully overturned. The upcoming class size is small but they are hoping for increased numbers over the next few weeks... Nothing is set is stone.

My class jumped in size only a couple of weeks beforehand too.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                            This is what they are hoping for. As of today the SRO program has only a short time left, but I believe the teachers union has yet to weigh in and the republicans in the senate oppose the idea so it is expected to be fought and hopefully overturned. The upcoming class size is small but they are hoping for increased numbers over the next few weeks... Nothing is set is stone.

My class jumped in size only a couple of weeks beforehand too.
                            After just reading that, I am praying that this next class is 200+ recruits. That would be great and the chances of being appointed would only increase for all of who are waiting. Hope that everything works out for the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue34 View Post
                              He suggested that anyone that gets hired and graduates the academy asks for FTO upstate because they will most likely be stationed there after FTO, and the differences in the type of police work they do here and upstate as drastic.
                              The work is diffrent from barracks to barracks, how things have to be done is diffrent between each SGT that is working and most importantly... what you can get away with along the lines of how you talk to people in say Troop F is much diffrent from what you can get away with in Troop E for example... I speak from experience
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Good Luck..

just wanted to say.. Good Luck to those from the 195th who are starting their FTO today.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5635 users online. 229 members and 5406 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X