300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dirtyduce View Post
    Ask the guys from the 195th how many people quit and were replaced in the first week.
    12ish......and i'm pretty sure one of the backfills came in, sat down, and asked to leave about 5mins after

Comment

• hxd, dirtyduce, ml75, thanks for clearing that up. good luck to you guys with the medicals!!!
      " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
        12ish......and i'm pretty sure one of the backfills came in, sat down, and asked to leave about 5mins after
        Wow! How could somebody ask to leave (without being told to leave)-- especially within 5 minutes? To be invited into the academy is a prestigious honor and priviledge.
        Whoever can leave within 5 minutes or a day,or even a week, obviously knew from the very beginning that they didn't want to be there in the first place. They should have done themselves the favor and not even apply.

For Dr. Peebody or anyone else who was in the 195th Class:
        How many recruits were in the academy on August 15th?

Comment

• Originally posted by MB Troop View Post
          Wow! How could somebody ask to leave (without being told to leave)-- especially within 5 minutes? To be invited into the academy is a prestigious honor and priviledge.
          Whoever can leave within 5 minutes or a day,or even a week, obviously knew from the very beginning that they didn't want to be there in the first place. They should have done themselves the favor and not even apply.

For Dr. Peebody or anyone else who was in the 195th Class:
          How many recruits were in the academy on August 15th?
          theres always people who don't know what they're walking into when they enter the academy that first day....one guy in my session has an uncle on the job, who let him show up the first day thinking he would just be shown to his room and told to get a good night sleep because training would begin the next morning...that was NOT what happened. He made it though.

anyway, our class was 153 on day 1.

Comment

• We started with 153, there were approximately 12 backfills which replaced people leaving in the first couple of weeks. We graduated with 141 (after a certain point, there are no more backfills invited). Since Day 1, approximately 24 people left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
              came in, sat down, and asked to leave about 5mins after
              It's funny how that happens. In my class, once everyone was signed in and they called us down to the main lecture hall the first night... 2 seats were empty... apparently 2 recruits had snuck out the back doors before any of the fun even started.
              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Sounds like the Troopers at the academy let know you real quick how it is going to be for the next 6 months. IMO this is a good thing because it weeds out individuals who are not cut out for LE early on in the process.
                New York State Police Exam - 02/09/2008
                New York Police Department Exam - 02/28/2008
                Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff Exam - 05/17/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                  It's funny how that happens. In my class, once everyone was signed in and they called us down to the main lecture hall the first night... 2 seats were empty... apparently 2 recruits had snuck out the back doors before any of the fun even started.
                  That is too funny.

Comment

• Quick question..

How many backfills do they usually have on "stand-by" before an academy starts?

Comment

• How could anyone go through the months and months of processing and then leave the academy?

I just don't get it...

I realize it is tough, but if you know that going in and have the right mental attitude why would you not push yourself?

And to quit on the first day or within the first week?

Wow...

To all those that graduated this week, congratulations!

To those of us waiting for our opportunity to serve, may we do so with the long gray line.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                          hahah, yeah, I'm being self-serving
                          I actually do get some good picks because I'm at a small barracks. I just want to get back to my home troop.
                          We're undermanned in the lower reaches of Troop E... any chance you want to come here to work?
                          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• This is my first post. I took the exam on 02.02.08 at Clinton HS in the Bronx, and I believe I did really well. Time will tell. But I was curious if the current troopers could talk about the "Excellent health, dental, and optical insurance coverage" that is offered by the NYSP. How "excellent" is the coverage? Thank you for your replies.

And of course, congratulations the 195th class!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisFig View Post
                              This is my first post. I took the exam on 02.02.08 at Clinton HS in the Bronx, and I believe I did really well. Time will tell. But I was curious if the current troopers could talk about the "Excellent health, dental, and optical insurance coverage" that is offered by the NYSP. How "excellent" is the coverage? Thank you for your replies.

And of course, congratulations the 195th class!
                              Hmm... lets see... I have the Empire Plan at single rate... I pay $22.19 (pre-tax) a pay period and I think the most expensive thing I have had to pay for so far is a $10 co-pay when I had to get checked out after being bitten by a tick at the 2004 US Open... I can't remember what the medication (Cipro) cost me but it was also next to nothting. I get excellent dental care every 6 months for free. Eyecare is the only thing that sucks... I get my contacts from my own optomitrist and I guess some state employees get lasik for next to nothing but I'm not complaining... I make more than 2x the median family income for where I work by myself, and my gf of 9 years makes much more than me so I live quite comfortably. State benefits FTW!

Plus I forgot to add:

APPLICATION OF SICK LEAVE CREDIT TOWARD HEALTH INSURANCE PREMIUMS BY MEMBERS IN RETIREMENT The State pays 90% of the health insurance premium for members of the state police, and 75% of the premium for their enrolled dependents. The enrollees must contribute the balance of the premium payment. Retired enrollees may deduct from their premium payments the amount of the credit for accumulated unused sick leave. This sick leave credit may not exceed 165 days. The credit is calculated by multiplying the number of unused accumulated sick leave days at retirement, not to exceed 165 days, times the per diem rate of pay. That amount is the divided by the number of months of the member's life expectancy, as determined by the actuarial tables. The result is the monthly amount credited toward health insurance premium payments. Example: a member retiring with 165 days of unused sick leave whose per diem rate of pay is $200 would have a $33,000 sick leave credit, and if that member's life expectancy at the time of retirement was 20 years (240 months), the monthly credit toward sick leave would be the sum of $137.50 ($33,000 / 240). Retired enrollees may apply for all of the sick leave credit to their monthly premium payment, or my choose to apply a reduced amount, with the same amount to be applied toward their enrolled dependent's monthly premium after the retiree dies.
                              Last edited by Trooper4985; 02-21-2008, 03:19 AM.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11237 users online. 476 members and 10761 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X