X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Luck guys,

Im still working on the 20 credits I got left

Comment

• What are the residency requirements once you become a trooper. Is a trooper required to have permanent residence in NY State, or allowed to live in NJ/PA/CT/VT and commute, if the distance is reasonable?

Comment

• I know you are asking about once an individual is fortunate enough to become a Trooper, but taken directly from thier website:

http://www.nytrooper.com/qualifications.cfm

Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver's license at time of appointment.

I would assume the wonderful state of NY would want some of your pay back in the form of taxes

Comment

• Shoulda read all the replies before replying VZMan beat me to it.
          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Hey guys, I have a question about the NYSP tattoo policy. I just took the test this past Saturday. I know that if I were to get called that I would need to have a tattoo removed from my right forearm. I know that there are a few current troopers who post on this forum. Did any of you have any tattoo issues while going through the hiring process? Do you know of any fellow troopers who were hired after having one removed? I'm just wondering what the details of the process are, if you need to have a tat removed? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

• Originally posted by 2grit View Post
              Hey guys, I have a question about the NYSP tattoo policy. I just took the test this past Saturday. I know that if I were to get called that I would need to have a tattoo removed from my right forearm. I know that there are a few current troopers who post on this forum. Did any of you have any tattoo issues while going through the hiring process? Do you know of any fellow troopers who were hired after having one removed? I'm just wondering what the details of the process are, if you need to have a tat removed? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
              2grit. Any tattoos that are visible in a short sleeve shirt have to be removed. Troopers work in Short sleeve uniforms so any that are visible must be removed. I don’t know about any troopers that were hired with tats cause I m not a trooper. Hope it helps.
              " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Originally posted by 2grit View Post
                Hey guys, I have a question about the NYSP tattoo policy. I just took the test this past Saturday. I know that if I were to get called that I would need to have a tattoo removed from my right forearm. I know that there are a few current troopers who post on this forum. Did any of you have any tattoo issues while going through the hiring process? Do you know of any fellow troopers who were hired after having one removed? I'm just wondering what the details of the process are, if you need to have a tat removed? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
                You get them removed or you get removed. The guys that were on before this policy came into effect get 'grandfathered' but everyone else works with clean arms.
                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                  How long is the sleeve on the NYSP summer uniform?

For example, I have a tattoo from mid bicep to my shoulder. When wearing a short sleeve polo shirt it can not be seen unless my shirts rides up my arm, exposing my huge guns! Ok maybe not...

When I wore my summer uniform for UD is could not be seen, our shirts came down mid arm between elbow/shoulder.
                  I went through this during my processing and I have the same situation. I have a couple mid-bicep tattoos that I had placed specifically so they could not be seen in a short sleeve shirt. It wasn't a big deal, they took a couple pictures of me in the shirt just to document that they were not visible in uniform. Oddly enough, when I went back for my first medical eval they had me take pictures AGAIN in a uniform shirt. But no problems.

and FYI .... and they won't let you keep the shirt. I already asked.

Comment

• NY Illini,

Removing "The Chief" must be an emotional moment of leaving college and becoming an adult....

My Brother just had the PRK/PKR ?, whatever, eye surgery paid for with Tricare. He is hoping the change to his eyes will allow him into 'strike' jets. He doesn't have any 'tats' but his teammates must wear long sleeve undershirts and long stockings in games till the 'tats' get removed at USNA.

"Hail Alma Mater, Ever so true."

Comment

• Hello everyone. Although I'm new to posting, I have been reading along the way for the NYST processing for a few months now. I received the medical invite for the spring '08 academy in the mail today. The medical screening is 15 March, my report time is at 0700. Good luck everybody!
                      Last edited by H-D Jay; 02-13-2008, 07:30 PM. Reason: deleting underline

Comment

• How does NYSP feel about LONG military deployments? Here's my situation...

I HOPE to become a NY Trooper and I HOPE to get accepted into the Air National Guard as a pilot. I am applying for both positions, simultaneously. In one inconvenient but possible scenario, I would have to leave for OTS/Flight School (18months) right after graduating from the NYSP academy, during the "probation" period. Would there be an issue with this? Again, this would be both the best (getting hired x2) and worst (timing) case scenario.

Thanks
                        Last edited by mikeywUSCG; 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Does anybody know how many people were invited to the medical and how many people are expected to be taken for the next academy?
                          NYSP............
                          Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
                          Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeywUSCG View Post
                            How does NYSP feel about LONG military deployments? Here's my situation...

I HOPE to become a NY Trooper and I HOPE to get accepted into the Air National Guard as a pilot. I am applying for both positions, simultaneously. In one inconvenient but possible scenario, I would have to leave for OTS/Flight School (18months) right after graduating from the NYSP academy, during the "probation" period. Would there be an issue with this? Again, this would be both the best (getting hired x2) and worst (timing) case scenario.

Thanks

We have lots of people deployed for long periods of time. A trooper in my station right now is on an 18 month deployment (he is a helicopter pilot).

You would simply finish field training upon your return.

Check with a recruiter to make sure that going into the ANG first won't harm your chances of NYSP hiring you.
                            Last edited by SlowDownThere; 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM.
                            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Thanks!!

Just out of curiosity, why would being a member of ANG, or any reserve component for that matter, harm someones chances of getting hired?

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeywUSCG View Post
                                Thanks!!

Just out of curiosity, why would being a member of ANG, or any reserve component for that matter, harm someones chances of getting hired?
                                It won't. As long as you are not deployed when the academy starts you are all set. The state police does not care about deployments, many guys do it, it's very accepted. And if you feel for some reason it will hurt your chances then don't tell them, all they need to know is you are in the reserves. I'm not saying lie, but you don't even know if you have been accepted into flight school.

The NYSP does have helicopters, so I can't imagine it hurting your chances. Good luck with everything. It's a great job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7792 users online. 372 members and 7420 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X