Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wasn't going to comment on this, but since GrayPatriot posted EXACTLY what I have been thinking, I will say that I agree him 110%.

My wife has worked in a rural district with an SRO (Trooper) and in her current position with the Rochester City School District, with an RPD Officer as SRO. Her professional opinion is in agreement with GrayPatriot's professional opinion. She has seen the difference these SROs make on a daily basis.

Ten years ago SROs may not have been needed in some of these districts, but now they are essential for the reasons GrayPatriot stated.

If any of you are in doubt, just spend a day in the RCSD or some of these rural schools. You'll see...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekkier View Post
      Hey Guys,

I was wondering what is the requirements for the vision for NYS-Troopers?
      I know i read 20/20 on each eye but what are the other? do they relax the requirements for lateral vision?

http://www.nytrooper.com/vision.cfm

This link form our public site ought to answer your question. I don't think they even test for lateral vision.
      Last edited by SlowDownThere; 02-01-2008, 11:52 AM.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Deleted By User
        Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-20-2008, 04:32 PM.
        sigpic
        IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
          Sure some schools are slow and the SRO may not be over worked but they are no slower than some stations in the state who don't get but a few calls for service a week. I for one am disappointed that the SROs are being pulled from the schools...
          I was speaking with an SRO this morning (it's a snow day, so he was working patrol).

One of the kids in his school came up to him and asked if it was true that he would be leaving the school. He replied that it looked that way.

The kid replied " Wow, this place is going to be a zoo."

I've never been particulary supportive of the SRO program. But I've come to believe that schools, and students, have come to rely upon the PO in the school. I think there will be some "adjustments" that will come from taking the SRO's away. I hope none of those adjustments are very serious.

I've also come to believe that the times, they are a changing. In fact, they are a changing much faster than I am a changing.

They always were, but now I realize it.
          Last edited by SlowDownThere; 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

So you have just a purple bar now, right?
            Ha, Ha, not quite.

Actually, I've never worn the service ribbon. I don't even own one.
            (yes guys, it's optional).

I should get one, but I've been saying that for years.

Comment

• I can totally agree with all of you. Im the youngin on this forum with some others and only grad in 05 but i have seen alot. Even tho i went to a private school you would think it would be better. Wrong. There were more drugs in my school then most public schools. And Hazing was a huge problem in our school. Freshmen always had it rough. this goes to show that its not only in our public school system but every school.
              I m not sure what SRO people are since im not from the ny school system but it sounds like they are neeeded. As SDT said times are changing i would have to say they are changing fast. I work for the nj devils youth hockey club mostly with 16- 18 year olds and the stories they tell me are unbelieveable. We never did half of the sh*t they did. Its really sad.
              " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Originally posted by goaliebg30 View Post
                I m not sure what SRO people are since im not from the ny school system but it sounds like they are neeeded.

An SRO is a School Resourse Officer, a fully training, and usually experienced police officer, whose full time job is to work in the school. He/She does police work, but their "beat" is the school campus.

In NYS, some SRO's are Troopers, but most are local police officers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                  An SRO is a School Resourse Officer, a fully training, and usually experienced police officer, whose full time job is to work in the school. He/She does police work, but their "beat" is the school campus.

In NYS, some SRO's are Troopers, but most are local police officers.
                  thanks SDT

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

I am going to stop my rant short of operation impact and what I think of that.
                    Everyone is entitled to their opinion of where police resources are most wisely deployed. I am not against the idea of SRO's... I am against the idea of SRO's when we are short on the road and it leads to officer safety issues. I think Impact is a great idea. This is how policing should be done... flood a high crime area with proactive guys who want to arrest as many people as they can. I know that we aren't going to end the daily shootings and armed robberies in Rochester (for example I know other cities have problems too) but I'm certain that every little bit helps. I would much rather see 2 extra 2 man cars each shift trying to take violent felons and guns off the street than spending that manpower trying to correct poor parenting in grade school. Sure there are some legitimate complaints that come in from schools but what is the diffrence is they happen at school or on the street outside the kids home... same complaint that still requires you to do interviews and made a determination about what if any violation was commited.

About you finding out that half the kids in school smoke pot... not really a shock to me. Very few of my UPM arrests are adults... most are kids between 16 and mid 20's. A car load of kids with a plate lamp out (pretext stops are beautiful) is getting stopped long before businessman doing 80 on his way to work... there's a good possibility someone in the car has something on him or there is something in the car. Kids view pot today like we did alcohol back in highschool 20 years ago (goto party - drink nasty cheap beer) as does the penal system to a degree.... ABC-65C carries with it the same penalties as UPM... a fine and maybe a lecture from the judge.

Originally posted by goaliebg30 View Post
                    Even tho i went to a private school you would think it would be better. Wrong. There were more drugs in my school then most public schools.
                    Crime does not care how much money your parents make. I went to Niagara University back in the early 90's and was astouded the first time I was offered cocaine (not crack) and acid in The Gallagher Center (commons building).

Originally posted by goaliebg30 View Post
                    Hazing was a huge problem in our school. Freshmen always had it rough.
                    Welcome to life... I hope you don't think it is going to be any diffrent if you play sports in college, join a frat, serve in the military, become a police officer, or many other things in life... screwing with the new guy is a right of passage. Ever watch Dazed and Confused? Usually if the senior guys aren't picking on you... it's because they don't like you. If you notice something that looks suspiciously like your locker, laying in the median on your way into work... that means something completely diffrent.
                    Last edited by Trooper4985; 02-01-2008, 04:46 PM.
                    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Now I'm doing what I complain about others doing... I'm a postwhore!
                      Last edited by Trooper4985; 02-01-2008, 07:19 PM. Reason: postwhore
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Thanks to all the experienced guys for spreading the wealth on this board over the last several years. I decided that I wanted to be a NY Trooper in December of 2005. It seems like I have been waiting forever to take tomorrows exam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                          Everyone is entitled to their opinion of where police resources are most wisely deployed. I am not against the idea of SRO's... I am against the idea of SRO's when we are short on the road and it leads to officer safety issues. I think Impact is a great idea. This is how policing should be done... flood a high crime area with proactive guys who want to arrest as many people as they can. I know that we aren't going to end the daily shootings and armed robberies in Rochester (for example I know other cities have problems too) but I'm certain that every little bit helps. I would much rather see 2 extra 2 man cars each shift trying to take violent felons and guns off the street than spending that manpower trying to correct poor parenting in grade school. Sure there are some legitimate complaints that come in from schools but what is the diffrence is they happen at school or on the street outside the kids home... same complaint that still requires you to do interviews and made a determination about what if any violation was commited.

About you finding out that half the kids in school smoke pot... not really a shock to me. Very few of my UPM arrests are adults... most are kids between 16 and mid 20's. A car load of kids with a plate lamp out (pretext stops are beautiful) is getting stopped long before businessman doing 80 on his way to work... there's a good possibility someone in the car has something on him or there is something in the car. Kids view pot today like we did alcohol back in highschool 20 years ago (goto party - drink nasty cheap beer) as does the penal system to a degree.... ABC-65C carries with it the same penalties as UPM... a fine and maybe a lecture from the judge.

Crime does not care how much money your parents make. I went to Niagara University back in the early 90's and was astouded the first time I was offered cocaine (not crack) and acid in The Gallagher Center (commons building).

Welcome to life... I hope you don't think it is going to be any diffrent if you play sports in college, join a frat, serve in the military, become a police officer, or many other things in life... screwing with the new guy is a right of passage. Ever watch Dazed and Confused? Usually if the senior guys aren't picking on you... it's because they don't like you. If you notice something that looks suspiciously like your locker, laying in the median on your way into work... that means something completely diffrent.
                          I understand what your are saying. I know what it is to be the young guy and get picked on and every other thing. I played hockey one of the top high schools in the country and was the fourth freshmen in school history to play varsity. so i been there done that. same in college. doesnt bother me. i acutally get a kick out of it watching them trying to bring me down. Like you said if there not pickin on you than theres somthing wrong. Its all apart of growing up. If you cant handle it then dont do it!!

i think finding my locker in the middle of a highway would suck but cant help but laugh.
                          Dazed and Confused is a great movie!!!
                          Last edited by goaliebg30; 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM.

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Deleted By User
                            Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-20-2008, 04:24 PM.
                            sigpic
                            IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                              As far as lockers, we just flipped them upside down and slipped a dead fish in it if you were an a*shole.
                              If your locker is on the highway... you should probably be typing a memo to transfer to another station and and probably another zone or troop.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                                $220 !!! Relis, are Cali tix just high or did you break the sound barrier? LOL

As far as your ticket... If you can't find a record of it, then it is probably deleted from the system. I wouldn't make a big deal of it. The BI will just tell you to give him as much as you can remember like: Approx date (month/year), what it was for (speeding, light, DUI etc.) and being it was speeding the BI will ask how fast you were going and what the posted limit was. Just tell them as much as you can remember, but don't play it down like if you were doing 40 over the limit and say it was only 20 because if their record check finds it in a system with all the details, they will see you were lying and then your integrity gets questioned.

LOL, I dont know if the ticket was expensive or not. Ive only ever gotten one ticket, and this was it. I got tagged for 70 in a 55, plus all the other fees that go with it.

Im going to be completely honest about it. I just didnt know if this was a big deal.
                                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12662 users online. 494 members and 12168 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X