Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironic that past POTUS can admit to use (but didn't inhale) and the people protecting him are more strict...

Oh, well, just an old pet peeve.

Anyone have info on the parking around Lincoln High School in Yonkers for this Sat ?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
      Ironic that past POTUS can admit to use (but didn't inhale) and the people protecting him are more strict...

Oh, well, just an old pet peeve.

Anyone have info on the parking around Lincoln High School in Yonkers for this Sat ?
      Plenty of parking brother Will
      It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
        My God how many Big Wills are there?
        I think just two, but we could always use more.
        It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

• Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
          You got your ticket courtesty NOT FROM CHP, but from your speeding.
          Big Will, Thanks for clarifying this. I really wasnt sure why I got a ticket.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by sam501 View Post
            Hello all,

Does anyone know if the NYSP has an automatic DQ policy for drug use similar to some federal agencies (for example, using marijuana more than x times total or y times within the past z years) or is it decided on a case by case basis?

Thanks guys.
            It's been said that smoking marijuana a couple of times when you were young and dumb are allowed. Some say they will hire you for just marijuana trial (once or twice) and have no tolerance for bigger drug use like cocaine, heroin, crack etc... If you used any illegal drugs at the age of 18 and over (considered an adult) it's pretty safe to say they will not hire you even if it was once.

It's a gamble when it comes to these fine lines of the hiring process, but you should be as honest as possible to avoid getting caught in any lies during your polygraph etc. Once caught in a lie your gone for good as integrity plays a huge roll in the hiring process.

I personally don't think they would hire people that admit to using illegal drugs at any age when the NYSP has the pick of the litter all the time unlike big city departments, but who knows.
            sigpic
            IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

Hello all,

Does anyone know if the NYSP has an automatic DQ policy for drug use similar to some federal agencies (for example, using marijuana more than x times total or y times within the past z years) or is it decided on a case by case basis?

Thanks guys.

Just to add on to what ATrooper2b said they do not give a set amount you are allowed to use. You tell them what you have done and how long ago and they will let you know if it is a DQ or not. Just be honest no matter what. It is harder to remember a lie then it is the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtyduce View Post
                It is harder to remember a lie then it is the truth.
                Words of wisdom.
                sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for the replies. I ask not because I plan on tailoring my answers to what is acceptable, but because I would rather not spend time on the process if I know that I'm going to be auto-DQed. From the NYSP's perspective, it also seems like a good move to make this info public so that they don't spend time and money processing candidates only to auto-DQ them down the road, when at least some of those candidates would have never applied to begin with if the policy had been made public.

For example, I know, based on what these agencies make public online, that I do qualify for the FBI based on my past drug use but I do not qualify for the DEA. Thus, I wouldn't waste my time or the DEA's time by starting the process with them.

In response to the comment that "I personally don't think they would hire people that admit to using illegal drugs at any age when the NYSP has the pick of the litter all the time," I hear what you're saying, but I would hope that most people would realize that there are candidates with solid college degrees, military experience, in good shape, etc. who also happened to smoke a joint or two in the freshman dorm. I would hope that wouldn't be a deal breaker in this day and age. Lots of otherwise solid people would be ineligible. I think many agencies are realizing this and easing up on their zero tolerance policies.

Sorry for the rant.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I ask not because I plan on tailoring my answers to what is acceptable, but because I would rather not spend time on the process if I know that I'm going to be auto-DQed. From the NYSP's perspective, it also seems like a good move to make this info public so that they don't spend time and money processing candidates only to auto-DQ them down the road, when at least some of those candidates would have never applied to begin with if the policy had been made public.

For example, I know, based on what these agencies make public online, that I do qualify for the FBI based on my past drug use but I do not qualify for the DEA. Thus, I wouldn't waste my time or the DEA's time by starting the process with them.

In response to the comment that "I personally don't think they would hire people that admit to using illegal drugs at any age when the NYSP has the pick of the litter all the time," I hear what you're saying, but I would hope that most people would realize that there are candidates with solid college degrees, military experience, in good shape, etc. who also happened to smoke a joint or two in the freshman dorm. I would hope that wouldn't be a deal breaker in this day and age. Lots of otherwise solid people would be ineligible. I think many agencies are realizing this and easing up on their zero tolerance policies.

Sorry for the rant.

sam501, i hear what your saying about wasting their time with stuff like that.

If any Trooper or any one that knows could answer this that would be great.This question may be out of the blue but alwasy somthing i wanted to know. Once a trooper what is the process of picking a detail that you would like to do. I m not sure how NYSP goes about that process. I m very interested in the MRT and K-9 units. Any feedback?
                    Last edited by goaliebg30; 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM.
                    " Get this piece off s*** of my highway"

Smokey and the Bandit

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                      Is this the same for tickets recieved out of NYS?
                      Must be, I have never received a ticket in NYS, even though I live here.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                        I personally don't think they would hire people that admit to using illegal drugs at any age when the NYSP has the pick of the litter all the time unlike big city departments, but who knows.
                        How about people who have been arrested for and convicted of DWI? Do you think we hire those people?

Originally posted by goaliebg30 View Post
                        If any Trooper or any one that knows could answer this that would be great.This question may be out of the blue but alwasy somthing i wanted to know. Once a trooper what is the process of picking a detail that you would like to do. I m not sure how NYSP goes about that process. I m very interested in the MRT and K-9 units. Any feedback?
                        You submit a memo (kinda like a resume) requesting consideration for the detail. Your supervisors at station and zone level have to sign off on it then it makes it to Troop and eventually Albany. There are interviews and some details require tryouts, then there is training and then maybe you will get on the detail.
                        Last edited by Trooper4985; 01-29-2008, 05:44 PM.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• [QUOTE=BigWill2876;

I also suggest using one of the free Internet deals to check your credit with the three main credit reporting agencies nationwide. Most deals give you a free credit report in the first 30 days and no charge if you cancel the agreement within that time period. You still get the 3 reports and you can check and challenge/correct any mistakes ort.[/QUOTE]

For everyone that is interested, as of 2002, everyone in the U.S. is entitled to one free credit report from EACH of the three credit reporting agencies at
                          www.annualcreditreport.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                            How about people who have been arrested for and convicted of DWI? Do you think we hire those people?
                            DWI and DUI's are totally acceptable in most departments, so if you have any you should definitely brag about them.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                              I have no prior knowledge of NYSP's DQ's but I doubt smoking a joint in a dorm a few times will DQ anyone, especially if it was 3-5 years ago.

When I was in the USSS everyone had to take a pre-employment poly, my guy didn't believe at first that I never tried anything and only drank on weekends. He said many applicants at least tried something in high school or college, the big thing is if you made a mistake be honest and take responsibility. You will also need to show how you matured and that it was only a handfull of times.

Personally I rather deal w/ a guy who is stoned than a drunk idiot, the drunk guys were always more difficult to put in cuffs and wanted to fight.
                              I hear your point and understand we live in liberal times, but you must realize that when you have choice to hire the best of the best applicants and the many years of departmental reputation at stake you will still find alot of people out there that haven't used drugs or are very good at lying about it.

Either way as far as the BI or hiring dept. are concerned they say "We have a guy here that used drugs and one that says they didn't, who shall we hire???".

Who would you hire?
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                                Question for troopers:

How is the relationship betweem road troops and the brass? Is it an Us vs. Them attitude or more "we are all on the same team"?

Also, are the newbies responsible for cleaning the barracks, cars, etc?
                                About supervisors... Trust who you want to trust. but don't be surprised when they burn you for something they did when they were on the road... A way of life I learned back in the Air Force and it has stuck with me. There are some very good supervisors out there but they are very few and far between.

You don't have to be a 'newbie' to be responsible for keeping your car clean or taking the garbage out and snow removal. Seniority is established for more than just OT and vacation picks. You might be the junior guy when you have 5 years on... just depends on the station you work out of. Your car is a reflection of you and Division... no reason to be driving a filthy car. As for the station, the station cleaner may only come though once every 2 or 3 days... and even a small station generates lots of trash and dirt. One of the biggest things junior guys can do to gain the respect of the senior guys is shovel snow, take the trash out, clean their assigned car, etc. with out being asked/told to.
                                Last edited by Trooper4985; 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM.
                                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6819 users online. 343 members and 6476 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X