300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new to the forum

and didn't have time to go through 52 pages to see if this was asked so I will ask it here. Can you fill out an application for NYSP at anytime, or do they have certain time frames when they are accepting applications?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by leatherneck570 View Post
      and didn't have time to go through 52 pages to see if this was asked so I will ask it here. Can you fill out an application for NYSP at anytime, or do they have certain time frames when they are accepting applications?

Thanks in advance.
      I think the deadline was Dec 1 and according to their website they won't be hiring for another 4 years.

Just a heads up to people taking the written test.. I called 2 different troops to find out if their was a dress code for the test and both of the troopers replied no and to dress comfortable but appropriately so i take that as wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
        The closing date was in December, you will have to wait about 4 years until next open test...sorry. If you are military there might be a loophole for testing, check http://www.nytrooper.com/military_applicants.cfm

You are in PA, check out PSP or MDSP if you are looking to go state police. Both test on a regular basis.
        This is true, there will be supplemental testing dates for active-duty military, but even they had to sign up by December 1, 2007.

It's simply too late now, sorry.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sword View Post
          I think the deadline was Dec 1 and according to their website they won't be hiring for another 4 years.

Just a heads up to people taking the written test.. I called 2 different troops to find out if their was a dress code for the test and both of the troopers replied no and to dress comfortable but appropriately so i take that as wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.
          Jeans and a sweatshirt are OK for the written test. When you go for further phases of evaluation, dress in conservative business attire.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
            I have read this and other threads and have a few questions to serving NYSP Troopers.

1. I see where various Troops have or don't have waiting lists for transfer/assignment into, but nobody has mentioned Troop NYC.
            What, if any, is the chance of being assigned out of the Academy into Troop NYC. Is that a separate Troop in function/setup at Wards Island.

2. I note that it appears, unlike NJSP, that carrying off duty is optional for NYSP, is that correct ? If you elect to carry off duty is there testing/qualification for that weapon ? Is there a specific list of weapons that are approved for off duty use ?

3. Height/weight, how exact is the weight limits enforced for the particular height. Caliper skin pinch tests are known for being not a accurate method of testing for body fat percentages. Is that the only test method or is the physical testing scores a more valid way that the NYSP evaluates the physical/weight ability of the trainees ? For example, my Dad's ex-college roomie maxed out the Syracuse NY, PD physical test with 100% in EVERY event but was denied for being 240 lbs at the test ( he had just spent a year in the NFL.) Having been over the height/weight ratio on the charts since grammer school, thru Divison 1A football but started for 4 years at my University but capable of scoring well in the Cooper testing format used by NYSP will the chart be or be not used.

4. IF you are on the new NYSP list that is being formulated in the next few months with a passing score of whatever and you decide to enter the New York City Police Academy this Summer/2008. You then are called for a class in 2008 or beyond, will being in the NYCPD be a problem from the NYSP administrative/investigtive side. I notice that some agencies, like the Port Authority, are in various types of disagreements in receiving NYCPD personell records for NYCPD members wanting to change employment. So much that some current NYCPD members are suing in court.

5. Is there a large number of authorized/budgeted slots currently in NYSP that have not been filled ? How understrength is the uniform division of NYSP ?

6. If and when the new 2008 list is developed will there likely be one or possibly two Albany classes and is it more likely they will be in the 200 size or more likely under the 100 size ? Yes I understand, budget issues are usually the final issue but what do the guys out there in grey feel is likely.

Thanks in advance.
            1) practically zero chance.

2) You can carry anything you want off-duty. If you want to carry a personally-owned firearm on-duty, you have to qualify with it (and pay for the ammo).

3) If you score well on the test, I think they would still hire you.

4) We don't have all of the same relationship issues with NYPD as the PAPD does. I wouldn't worry about it.

5) Don't know exactly, but i suspect we are very close to our authorized strength.

6) I don't know what you are asking. There will likely be 6 or 8 Albany classes from that list, but only one at a time.

6)

Comment

• Thanks

So got lots of basic info thanks to you in Grey that responded.

As far as authorized number of NYSP in uniform was just trying to evaluate how badly new blood is needed to fully staff all the various stations statewide. For example, if the authorized number is 4,900 and only 4,500 NYSP are currently in Grey, then there would be some pressure to fill those slots, contract or no new contract.

When is the new contract estimated to be in place, is it in negotiation now, in the Arb process now, or on the back burners. A new contract in place would eventually mean people at top pay would do the math, see what they are actually working for at the time and head out into "second" pension land.

So do the road Troopers think that 2 classes of 200 or better are likely for 2008 or not likely based on their "instincts". Which could mean that 3-4,000 names could come off the 2008 list to be developed this spring.

USMC;
              I agree that the way I read it the NYSP list is closed. I don't know if you have any regional preference, but thru reading have seen the Pennsy, Ohio, Del, Maryland, and some New England states are in various stages of hiring/list making. NJSP is closed at this time because they are trying to put together a large class for Spring off old lists. They most likely will be re-opening this spring/summer.

Thanks again to all that answered my questions;

I L L ...
              Last edited by BigWill2876; 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Contract negotiates are currently underway. I wouldn't care to guess when they will conclude.

We typically have 2 classes a year (spring and fall). But 200 in a class makes for a crowded dorm (just ask GrayState, how many were in your class?).

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Sworn guys: I am currently still in school in may have the privilege of doing an internship with NYSP in Troop D. How beneficial will this be to me personally and educationally? Will it help my credentials when it comes to oral board time?

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                      NYSP does not have oral boards.

The complete selection process consists of a:

1. Written Examination
                      Subsequent to passing the examination . . .
                      2. Physical Performance Test
                      Subsequent to a conditional offer of appointment . . .
                      3. Psychological Evaluation
                      4. Background Investigation and Polygraph Test
                      5. Medical Examination

I can't answer the rest b/c I have no experience with the program and I'm not sure what the internship consists of but I'm sure it can't hurt personally or educationally.
                      Thanks NYIllini. I should have reviewed my process info first. All the departments I am appying for have different procedures.

Comment

• You'll be doing the internship at troop HQ, right?

You'll learn a lot about the department, how it's run, how it's organized. I don't kow how much contact with patrol operations you will get, however.

If you have the chance to do so, you probably should, if you have any interest in becoming a Troopers some day. The experience may confirm your desire for the job, or you may decide it's not for you.

Comment

• K I S S

Very tough to keep every state organized in your head.

I am told that NJSP used to have an oral interview board as the final step prior to Academy, but is no longer the case.

I would imagine that the Troop D stint would be more beneficial for YOURSELF and being able to guage if you want the job enough to make it thru the Academy. I doubt that anyone at the Albany Academy would care what internship you had gone thru. It may even be a bad thing as it could put you out from "under the radar" status with the Instructors.

My Brother's first year at USNA he considered very successful when some of his company classmates couldn't remember his name at Plebe recognition week. Being on the Football team gave him lots of time to be away from meal formations, parades, eating with the Brigade that the normal Plebes had to endure, hence "under the radar".

Chief Illiniwek

Comment

• Originally posted by BigWill2876 View Post
                            It may even be a bad thing as it could put you out from "under the radar" status with the Instructors.

I am not sworn, but I don't see how an internship could be a bad thing. With a large agency like the NYSP it might not help as much as a smaller agency, but I don't think it would hurt. As for being "out from 'under the radar' status with the instructors" I can't imagine how the instructors at the academny would have any idea who did an internship. If for some reason one of the ATOs happen to be from Troop D and knew you, as long as you did a good job and had a good attitude as an intern, I don't see how them knowing you would be a bad thing.

Overall I would think the hiring unit would see an internship and an intern with excellent recommendations/reviews as a positive resume builder for a potential recruit.

Again, this is not a sworn opinion, rather my humble one.

Comment

• Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I will do it if everything works out. My class schedule needs to fit around the internship times, which is especially hard since I am trying to graduate early and need to take certain classes only offered at certain times. However, I am going to do my best at fitting everything in so I can get the experience.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9976 users online. 511 members and 9465 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X