Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've refrained from commenting about this issue in the local discussion boards, and I've refrained from bringing it up here. But since someone else brought it up, and a couple of other like-minded people have already commented on it, I'll throw my two cents in and be done with it.

I'll preface my comments by saying that what happened was nothing short of tragic on several fronts. A woman was killed, three children are without a mother, and another person is without a job and will have to live with the consequences of this unintended death for ever.

The fact that the vehicle the Wayne County deputy had stopped did not contain the people they were looking for should not enter into the discussion at all. There was no way of knowing it at the time the decisions were made.

I will also not presume to know what goes through an officer's head when another officer calls for assistance. However, I DO know what goes through a firefighter's head when the "firefighter down" call goes over the radio. I have been in that situation a number of times. I can't imagine that they are too dissimilar.

I will also say that I have no inside information, and can only base my opinions on what has been reported in the (notoriously unreliable) media. The media in this area have this habit of spinning the story against the police in an effort to sensationalize the story.

I have a great deal of faith in the training that New York State Troopers get in the academy. Compared to many other states, it's a damn tough academy. I also have a great deal of faith in the ability of the (former) Trooper to control his patrol vehicle at the speeds he was driving.

The problem, however, is that while he may have been able to control his vehicle at those speeds under ideal conditions, the conditions under which he was driving were not ideal. The time of day, the layout of the road, and the unpredictable nature of human beings were all working against him that night.

The grand jury has decided that his actions weren't criminal. That doesn't mean that he didn't err in judgment or that his actions weren't reckless. That also doesn't mean that he didn't violate NYSP policies. Without knowing what the policies are, I can't say whether he did or not.

There is no indication that the other motorist did anything wrong. If she had signaled a left turn (as reported), she may not have had enough time to move all the way to the right as required by law. If the Trooper had already planned to pass her on the right, and she moved to the right in order to yield, it could have been a lot worse. This is why, under most circumstances, it is a cardinal sin as an emergency vehicle driver to pass on the right.

It APPEARS on the surface as if he failed to drive defensively and anticipate the actions of another motorist. He MAY have been driving too fast for the conditions. And he FAILED to arrive safely to back up another officer. Had he not been going as fast as he was ( reported estimates are 83mph at time of impact) the crash PROBABLY wouldn't have happened.

I'll parallel my opinion to that of another local case. I won't assign blame for the cause of the crash. It's not my job. However, in hindsight, it could have been prevented if he wasn't going so fast.

As a firefighter and EMT for 15 years, I DO understand the need to get there quickly. But you're of no use to the people who need you if you don't get there SAFELY.
    Last edited by hxd; 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• I dont second guess a cop, you dont know what it was like, the officer who requested help could have been frantic over the air. Theres only one person who knows exactly how it was and it was the officer involved.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 5K Runner View Post
        Did anyone else find the practice tests from the tutorial very easy? Is the real test going to have questions of the same difficulty/caliber? It just seems so much easier than the last police exam I took.

Also- NO MEMORY SECTION :-D Just in case your tutorial instructor didn't tell you
        The practice test given at the tutorials is authentic in it's diffilculty and time restaints. It's written by the same company that wrote the exam itself.

Was it mentioned at your tutorial....the highest score on the 2004 exam, which was also written by the same company?
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
          The practice test given at the tutorials is authentic in it's diffilculty and time restaints. It's written by the same company that wrote the exam itself.

Was it mentioned at your tutorial....the highest score on the 2004 exam, which was also written by the same company?
          I believe the Trooper at my tutorial said 84 or 86? Any idea of I'm close?

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
            I believe the Trooper at my tutorial said 84 or 86? Any idea of I'm close?
            I believe he said the highest score was 100+ after military credit. Therefore I would imagine that someone who wants to get in early without military credit really needs to get 95-100. The Trooper who taught my tutorial said there was a chance that the first class would go in prior to the military exams getting scored.
            New York State Police Exam - 02/09/2008
            New York Police Department Exam - 02/28/2008
            Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff Exam - 05/17/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post

All I remember him saying at the tutorial was that no one received a 100 on the 2004 exam.
              "Carpe Diem"

Comment

• I have read this and other threads and have a few questions to serving NYSP Troopers.

1. I see where various Troops have or don't have waiting lists for transfer/assignment into, but nobody has mentioned Troop NYC.
                What, if any, is the chance of being assigned out of the Academy into Troop NYC. Is that a separate Troop in function/setup at Wards Island.

2. I note that it appears, unlike NJSP, that carrying off duty is optional for NYSP, is that correct ? If you elect to carry off duty is there testing/qualification for that weapon ? Is there a specific list of weapons that are approved for off duty use ?

3. Height/weight, how exact is the weight limits enforced for the particular height. Caliper skin pinch tests are known for being not a accurate method of testing for body fat percentages. Is that the only test method or is the physical testing scores a more valid way that the NYSP evaluates the physical/weight ability of the trainees ? For example, my Dad's ex-college roomie maxed out the Syracuse NY, PD physical test with 100% in EVERY event but was denied for being 240 lbs at the test ( he had just spent a year in the NFL.) Having been over the height/weight ratio on the charts since grammer school, thru Divison 1A football but started for 4 years at my University but capable of scoring well in the Cooper testing format used by NYSP will the chart be or be not used.

4. IF you are on the new NYSP list that is being formulated in the next few months with a passing score of whatever and you decide to enter the New York City Police Academy this Summer/2008. You then are called for a class in 2008 or beyond, will being in the NYCPD be a problem from the NYSP administrative/investigtive side. I notice that some agencies, like the Port Authority, are in various types of disagreements in receiving NYCPD personell records for NYCPD members wanting to change employment. So much that some current NYCPD members are suing in court.

5. Is there a large number of authorized/budgeted slots currently in NYSP that have not been filled ? How understrength is the uniform division of NYSP ?

6. If and when the new 2008 list is developed will there likely be one or possibly two Albany classes and is it more likely they will be in the 200 size or more likely under the 100 size ? Yes I understand, budget issues are usually the final issue but what do the guys out there in grey feel is likely.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• I was told by someone that they had heard that the last class off a list is usually one of the largest because of all the overprocessed candidates that occur. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything like that.

P.S. the cowboys suck!!!!!!
                    Last edited by trooperhopefull; 01-13-2008, 10:21 PM.
                    NYSP............
                    Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
                    Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Don't most guys carry off duty?
                      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• I don't like to second guess anything without knowing the facts either. It was tragic all the way around. The speed isn't the issue, since most Troopers travel that speed on occasion. All that the rest of us can do is remember what occurred and try to avoid the same situation.

I always carry off-duty. Many do not. Personal choice I guess. I was in an incident prior to coming on the job that helped make my choice for me. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

No one can guess the next class size. It all goes by budget and retirements. Retirements are slow due to the higher age limit now and no current contract. Having the Governor announce 200 Troopers into the cities does not hurt the chances of a larger class though. Hard to say.

There are ALWAYS prior NYPD in each class. Have no fear there.

Those are my thoughts on the previous topics.
                        Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
                        American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                          1. I've heard that it is difficult to get troop NYC right out of the academy, so I wouldn't count on it.

B. Use whatever you want off duty and no special qualification. You don't have to carry if you don't want to.

Three. I'm pretty surprised to hear about your friend... but I wouldn't worry much if you can do well on the tests. I haven't heard of such a situation happening with the NYSP.

IV. My class had several people from the NYPD, so they are being hired despite any problems with the NYPD. Maybe someone from the last class can vouch that they had NYPD in there also more recently.

No idea on the last two questions and I've run out of creative ways to number my answers.
                          Gray State
                          I just checked with my standard rules of note taking and paragraph management, and it clearly states that cinco would be next.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5K Runner View Post
                              Did anyone else find the practice tests from the tutorial very easy? Is the real test going to have questions of the same difficulty/caliber? It just seems so much easier than the last police exam I took.

Also- NO MEMORY SECTION :-D Just in case your tutorial instructor didn't tell you
                              Yeah! I found the practice test extremely easy, the only part that i'm worried about is the second part where they ask opinion questions and score that based on other successful officers in the field.

Comment

• i also thought that it was extremely easy, but the kid next to me got less than a 50........how stiff is the competition usually on trooper? my recruiter said that the list from 2000 they went though the whole thing....
                                NYS Trooper - 76.67...gonna be waitin......
                                NYPD - Exam # 8305...gonna be waitin......
                                Westchester County PD- Taken - 90
                                Onondaga County PD - Taken - 90
                                Broome County Sheriff - Taken - 90, canvased, passed PAT, background packet submitted!!!
                                Rockland County PD - Taken - 90

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid......." - Han Solo, Star Wars

"Just becuase its not illegal doesnt mean that its a good idea" - Random

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7800 users online. 191 members and 7609 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X