300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random story.

I must say I love the attitude that some of the troopers have. they talk and walk with some serious authority. I went to the tutorial and I went with my friend that's a cop too and this female trooper asked if anyone was a current officer anywhere in the state and then he raised his hand and she turned to him real quick and "are you packing right now" and gave him that stare. after the class he told me "damn she scared me when she looked at me I didn't know what to say". lol.
    and while I was at headquarter I saw another trooper dealing with someone he just arrested and the family came too and the way he talked and walked was with complete authority. I hope I can pull that off because I tend to be too friendly and talk to people to make them feel comfortable.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• John,

I totally agree with you on this. When I was at the tutorial the two Troopers who taught the class were very authoritative. It is such an awesome attitude, they are calm and firm. They definitely command a lot of respect.
      New York State Police Exam - 02/09/2008
      New York Police Department Exam - 02/28/2008
      Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff Exam - 05/17/2008

Comment

• Anyone have an idea when canvassing will start for the Fall class?

Troopster, what happened with your processing?
        Last edited by reils49; 01-05-2008, 02:47 PM.
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• its one thing to command respect but its another to act like gods gift to earth. I know many troopers and to be honest, I'm embarrassed at how they act when around others especially other cops. I know a few in troop L and when I introduce them to another cop I pray they drop the dead stares, and almighty presence. They are great guys, but they just need to tone it down a bit.

Once again, NYSP great guys, great cops. Just alot with attitude problems.
          sigpic

Comment

• RANDOM THOUGHT
            DISCLAIMER: I want to say this is not to bash anyone, so please dont be ******ed off, Im just wondering everyone elses thoughts, especially the Troopers here.

I was going through my application packet the other day, and I saw the NYSP height & weight standards as well as the physical fitness test. I have always been impressed by the bearing and appearance of members of the NYSP. I'm deeply impressed when I see a Trooper standing in that gray uniform with his cover tilted forward. Troopers always look in charge of the situation... ready to battle the criminal element of our state and save the rest of us, not priveleged enough to wear the gray and purple, from evil. I got the same feeling before I joined the Marines, when saw that commercial of the guy killing the dragon with the NCO sword and then standing in his dress blues. <wow!)
            Now, I had never seen a trooper that didnt fit that mold. I had never seen a fat one, and honestly didnt think there were fat troopers. Then one day I saw one. The guy was coming out of the bank as I was walking in. I didnt recognize him as a trooper at first, because he wasnt wearing the traditional uniform. Instead he had on some type of black 'military style' uniform. I thought he might be a local cop. He must have been about 5'8' (Im over 6' and he was much shorter than me) and weighed close to 250. No joke. I didnt recognize him as a trooper until he climbed into his blue and gold patrol vehicle, marked "state police". Thats when my jaw hit the floor!!!
            Until this day, that guy is the one and only trooper that Ive seen like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
              Anyone have an idea when canvassing will start for the Fall class?

Troopster, what happened with your processing?
              "How soon will I be called for further processing after receiving my grade?

Candidates are processed in rank order based upon exam score and any applicable Veteran's Preference credits. Depending on the number of vacancies that are authorized to be filled, the first Academy class from the new list is projected to be appointed in the Fall of 2008. The first phase of the selection process for that class will be conducted during the summer of 2008. Candidates reached for the first phase will receive an invitation in the mail. The first phase of the selection process includes college credit review, physical ability test, height/weight check, vision test, and document review."

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for the info NYSP61.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                    He must have been about 5'8' (Im over 6' and he was much shorter than me) and weighed close to 250.
                    I've seen lots of guys that are way out of shape... they're all over. My EVOC instructor worked (don't know if he is retired yet) on The Northway... he was easily 300 lbs and I have no idea how he fit in a camaro but he did... you could see the CV squat when he got in. I saw a couple of guys on the manhunt in 2006 that haven't seen thier feet in years. Not every Trooper is still in academy shape.
                    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Troopster78 View Post
                        I'm waiting patiently too (processing for a year and a half with no deferments). So far I've been to 2 polygraphs, 2 psychological interviews, and 2 "final" medical exam.......
                        I've been waiting since June also. However I failed in June and had worked my butt off, lose a ton of weight and had my eyes lasered(not fun) just to pass in October and I did. Now they tell me if I don't make the next academy I will never be a NYS trooper because of my age!! My wifes going to kill me because I've been taking all these tests and she just wants to know where I am going to move our family too. What are your rank numbers because I am just curious how far back I am. My rank is around 9300 after the military testing.
                        NYSP............
                        Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
                        Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                          also MD State offers a similar out of state process.....
                          I checked them out and I had to come down to MD just to sign up at one of their seminars. I can't afford to take any more time off of work right now. I also signed up for DSP and told them I counldn't make it because my PSP PFT fell on the same day and to take me off the list and they still send me emails. The dept. I want doesn't call me and the one I don't want won't stop calling me. It's like high school all over again.
                          Last edited by trooperhopefull; 01-05-2008, 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
                          NYSP............
                          Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
                          Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                            I can see where you are coming from, I don't think that attitude is exclusive to Troopers, some guys just believe their own hype and are defined by their job and nothing else.

+1

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                            RANDOM THOUGHT
                            DISCLAIMER: I want to say this is not to bash anyone, so please dont be ******ed off, Im just wondering everyone elses thoughts, especially the Troopers here.
                            An out of shape trooper is a rare thing to see. I haven't seen too many of them though there is a guy out of the class before last who works near me and he really needs to put the skittles down and do a few sit ups.

As an organization I believe the NYSP are a lot better than the avg dept. I think the higher PT standards for hiring and the incentive help a lot.

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                            I was actually talking to the yonger guys trying to get on the job, not guys already on. I just think it's good to have a seperate life outside of work and not take it home.

I know where you are coming from in regards to introductions, it makes for an uncomfortable first impression sometimes.

Stay safe.
                            It doesn't help when some officer advertize who they are from wearing off duty apparel to getting vanity plates.

Originally posted by trooperhopefull View Post
                            I checked them out and I had to come down to MD just to sign up at one of their seminars. I can't afford to take any more time off of work right now. I also signed up for DSP and told them I counldn't make it because my PSP PFT fell on the same day and to take me off the list and they still send me emails. The dept. I want doesn't call me and the one I don't want won't stop calling me. It's like high school all over again.
                            Seems like you have applied to most of the better agenices around. Have you tried the NJSP. The test yearly and the go through the process pretty quick although you have to go there in person for every stage.

Comment

• [QUOTE= What are your rank numbers because I am just curious how far back I am. My rank is around 9300 after the military testing.[/QUOTE]

My rank is just below 9200. I was called in June 2006 too.

I noticed you are applying for Chesterfield VA. I lived there for a while and it seemed like a nice place. The police were allowed to work security at restaurants and retail stores at night in uniform.
                              Last edited by Troopster78; 01-06-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• Just thought I'd put this out there. My recruiter said that it might be a bit easier to get into the first class because a lot of the military exams won't be in or scored by then. Therefore, your list number will be higher and you'll be more likely to get called.
                                New York State Police Exam - 02/09/2008
                                New York Police Department Exam - 02/28/2008
                                Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff Exam - 05/17/2008

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12371 users online. 504 members and 11867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X