Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department is always hiring. they just started putting classes of about 40 through every month. Great department but not sure if vegas is the place to raise kids, although many people on the department are just fine. Lots of room for advancement, and the pay is great. i am trying to get back home to new york because i miss family, and would love to do what i do here in my home state. since they are hiring so many people to seniority is built fast. i am only 23 and been on for 1.5 years and there are allready about 600-1000 officers below me.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think i'll work for a while till the test comes around again. Then study my butt off and be in tip top shape so my chances of getting in are a lot better. It's 4 years down the road so anything can happen till then.

Comment

• I was wondering if anybody knows how big the next class is going to be?
        Last edited by trooperhopefull; 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM.
        NYSP............
        Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
        Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperhopefull View Post
          I was wondering if anybody knows how big the next class is going to be?
          From what I understand, there is no way to accurately predict this. It all depends on "the needs of division" and "budgetary considerations".

Comment

• I went to the tutorial this evening, definitely very helpful. I would suggest that anyone taking this test go to one in their area.
            New York State Police Exam - 02/09/2008
            New York Police Department Exam - 02/28/2008
            Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff Exam - 05/17/2008

Comment

• To the guys already on the job...I am looking to find a new summer job. I have worked in the same store for nearly 4 years and I truly hate it. Currently, I work there during Christmas break and the summer and then work for University Police during the school year. Any suggestions on a summer job that can help make me stand out? Will security or LP help me at all? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                To the guys already on the job...I am looking to find a new summer job. I have worked in the same store for nearly 4 years and I truly hate it. Currently, I work there during Christmas break and the summer and then work for University Police during the school year. Any suggestions on a summer job that can help make me stand out? Will security or LP help me at all? Thanks.
                The problem with taking on more jobs or another job is that means more employers and co-workers which increases the likelihood of you rubbing someone the wrong way. (I am not sure if there is a right way to rub someone) I am not trying to discourage you from looking for a new job if you are unhappy but longevity at a job is a plus. The extreme example: If you are a 23yr old with 12 different jobs none of which lasted more than a year this does not make you experienced it makes you a bit unreliable as an employee. Capiche?

Trust me your BI will contact every employer and he will get names of random employees from him/her and then interview them.

Having said all that secuirty or LP can't hurt, but if you try mall security make sure you practice your scratchy voice and eat greasy foods so you can have a zit covered face as this is a requirement - Am I being mean

Lastily it can only help to so some volunteer work. There is a VA hospital near you and a day out of your week/month isn't going to kill you.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                  The problem with taking on more jobs or another job is that means more employers and co-workers which increases the likelihood of you rubbing someone the wrong way. (I am not sure if there is a right way to rub someone) I am not trying to discourage you from looking for a new job if you are unhappy but longevity at a job is a plus. The extreme example: If you are a 23yr old with 12 different jobs none of which lasted more than a year this does not make you experienced it makes you a bit unreliable as an employee. Capiche?

Trust me your BI will contact every employer and he will get names of random employees from him/her and then interview them.

Having said all that secuirty or LP can't hurt, but if you try mall security make sure you practice your scratchy voice and eat greasy foods so you can have a zit covered face as this is a requirement - Am I being mean

Lastily it can only help to so some volunteer work. There is a VA hospital near you and a day out of your week/month isn't going to kill you.
                  Thanks GP. It sounds like it might be better for me just to stick out this sucky job since I've been there so long. All of the bosses and employees get along with me so I guess that's better than leaving and maybe leaving a bad impression. I hope my BI can find my old boss, I'm not sure what happened to him. He might actually be in jail

As for volunteering, I am a vollie FF/EMT and participate in various small volunteer work through my college. Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                    Thanks GP. It sounds like it might be better for me just to stick out this sucky job since I've been there so long. All of the bosses and employees get along with me so I guess that's better than leaving and maybe leaving a bad impression. I hope my BI can find my old boss, I'm not sure what happened to him. He might actually be in jail

As for volunteering, I am a vollie FF/EMT and participate in various small volunteer work through my college. Thanks again.
                    I am feeling guilty... If you are unhappy at your current workplace and can get something that would make you happier and/or pay more of course take that route. I am simply making you aware of potential consequences...

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                      I am feeling guilty... If you are unhappy at your current workplace and can get something that would make you happier and/or pay more of course take that route. I am simply making you aware of potential consequences...
                      Haha, no feeling guilty. I agree that it would look better to have a consistent work record compared to sporadic movement. My only reason for leaving this place is that after 4 years, I'm still the guy taking out the garbage, mopping the floors, and cleaning strangers poop in the bathroom. If I can find a company willing to hire seasonal LP agents, great. If not, I guess I can tough it out. My managers are more than willing to provide excellent references for me so that it also something I need to keep in mind. Thanks again GP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                        I can understand both point of views on this subject, having a stable work record is key but you still need to pay the bills and be happy at what you do.

My advice, find a better job and leave on good terms. I had several jobs since I was 16 (now 30), some lasted months and others years but no matter how long you stay don't burn bridges.

I think of it like this, there is no guarantee NYSP will offer you a position in the near future or ever. Gotta take care of yourself first, most BI's can understand some job hopping if you are making moves that help your career and quality of life. No point in being miserable, you only live once...
                        Thanks UOB. This is the problem, I hate my job but I don't want to leave on shaky terms. Since my managers have been so willing to offer me references and know exactly what I want to do in the future (NYSP), I believe they will sympathize with leaving for a more "career oriented" job (security or LP). I have even talked to my district managers about a job in LP in the company but they will not hire seasonally. This job has taught me that one must always have fun at their job in order to stay motivated and avoid becoming the guy that continuously dreads getting up and going to to work. Unfortunately, my small taste of LE experience during my on-campus job has done the same and now I want out of my crappy store job

However, as GP pointed out, just picking up and leaving after 4 years may not be a good idea either. It'd be different if I had a good excuse, but I don't think "because I still have to clean toilets" is good enough. Yet, at the same time, I can only imagine the experience I could gain, or actually having fun at work, if I worked in LP.

Comment

• So fellas, is there any news about a spring academy? I am hoping to get another invite to a physical soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by gsp View Post
                            So fellas, is there any news about a spring academy? I am hoping to get another invite to a physical soon.
                            No news in the field yet. I'll be at the Academy in February, maybe we'll know something by then.
                            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• All right i have a question for anyone who has taken these civil service tests. now i have taken them but most tests all that matters is that you pass. no most of the questions in the second half are questions about how you feel, and the answers are something along the lines of agree, strongly agree, not sure, disagree, etc. they say there is a correct answer for these questions. anyone know how to answer these.

Comment

• Originally posted by gsp View Post
                                So fellas, is there any news about a spring academy? I am hoping to get another invite to a physical soon.
                                I'm waiting patiently too (processing for a year and a half with no deferments). So far I've been to 2 polygraphs, 2 psychological interviews, and 2 "final" medical exams. Hopefully I'll get a chance at going to a third and final medical exam to make it into the last academy. I can't imagine the state police going through all of this effort and paperwork to just say better luck next time . I've signed up for the next test just in case. Good luck GSP and to all the others still waiting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8633 users online. 420 members and 8213 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X