Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah i screwed up i was in the process of getting a job to hold down for now and by the time i was introduced to NYSP i was about a week too late, and 1 day late from being able to speak to a recruitment trooper at my old college. I'm kicking myself now... jeez 4 years wait to take next test.. ARGH!!

Comment

• Dont stress about the test John. Just relax and do your best, thats all you can do. I thought the worst part of the test was the psychological portion. They ask some wierd questions...
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Going to the Academy means commitment. You are gone all week, and only home on weekends. You study your &*$# off on the weekend, then return. You can only call home when given permission. It is a dangerous job and requires dedication. That being said, I am happily married for over a decade on this job. Quality of life is usually good, but then there are periods when I just seem to miss everything that my kids are going through. Still, it is worth it when you love to goto work. How many people can say they love their work. I still get to see my kids more that the 9-5 M-F parents since I have days off they don't, and can sometimes "swing by" my son's baseball game which is going on in my patrol area. It's all in how you make it work.
        Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
        American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

Comment

• Originally posted by Standing_Tall View Post
          Still, it is worth it when you love to go to work. How many people can say they love their work...
          Exactly. I've heard many troopers and other LE speak this way, and it is encouraging to me, and makes me want it even more everytime I hear someone say this.

Thanks for the inspring post.

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
            when will they be looking to hire the new class of the 2008 test?

ugh 3weeks until I take my test, do or die to see if I get my dream job.
            The first class to be hired from the 2008 test will probably be in the fall of 2008.

If there is a spring class, it will be off of the 2004 list.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Finally I can post. I've waiting 6 months for the capablity to post on this site. I would just like to thank everybody on this thread for all their post and advice that they have given to me without you even knowing it. I went to the medical processing on June 30 and wasn't called because my number was to high and was told that everybody left over may not receive an appointment to the next acadamey because of all the left overs and additionally processed candidates. I can not take the test again because I am to old so wanting to be a police officer I applied to other depts. I have been called by further processing by the pennsylvania state police and a county poilce dept in VA. VA is going to offer me an offer of employment at the end of January. My rambling question is I am not sure if my list number is good enough to get me into the next acadamey and I really want to be a policer officer. If I take the offer of appointment from VA will that look bad on my part from the NYSP.
              Last edited by trooperhopefull; 01-01-2008, 10:57 AM.
              NYSP............
              Letter of appointment 3/22/08

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
              Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperhopefull View Post
                ......... I am not sure if my list number is good enough to get me into the next acadamey and I really want to be a policer officer. If I take the offer of appointment from VA will that look bad on my part from the NYSP.
                I say that if age your age is that close, then take the job. Never put all your eggs in one basket. We have Troopers now on the job that have been police officers all over the country. It gives you experience, and that is never bad. It will probably great a bit of a hardship for you if you have to travel back and forth for processing steps, but that shows how bad you want the job. Good luck!
                Be ashamed to die until you have done something good for mankind.”
                American pastor Dr. Vernon Johnson during the Revolutionary War

Comment

• Happy New Year to All!! Thanks to everyone who has given their time, knowledge and advice in this forum... its greatly appreciated!!

Comment

• Can anybody give me a rough estimate when they will start canvassing for the Fall Class (08)?

Comment

• Originally posted by trooperhopefull View Post
                      If I take the offer of appointment from VA will that look bad on my part from the NYSP.
                      One of my first roommates at the academy took a job with a local PD because he didn't make the class... he was right on the bubble and got called on the second day as a backfill. The day he got called was supposed to be his first day with the local PD. Needless to say he burned his bridges with that PD but he's an invesigator now so I don't think he is worried about ****ing off the local chief.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Whats up. I am new to this site, i was waiting for approval too. well i am a police officer in Las Vegas, but am originally from long island. taking the test in january. for any trooper here i have a question. how do you think the transition would be from going from a more city urban policing to, a more rural/ highway policing upstate new york. do most troopers enjoy working the highways.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Anyone have any ideas of a law enforcement agency that pays pretty well that does not hold tests every 4 years? I messed up and missed the testing for NYSP. This got me pretty damn depressed because it was an ideal career path for me to take. The next time it comes around in 4 years I will be 27 and thinking that it might be too late for me to start a career around 29-30. I have a BA in CRJ. I was hoping to work as a trooper for 2 years then get into BCI. Its going to be tough tho since I want to have my first kid around 28-30. I really want a career in some type of criminal investigation within law enforcement, and really dread the thought of spending my career behind a book or a desk, which is why I'm very hesitant about law school. Anyone have any suggestions? I can use all the advice you wise people can dish out at me. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Move to california. There are agencies hiring like crazy here. I'm stuck here for another 9 months, but Ive tested with several agencies. I cant get them to leave me alone. The recruiter from LAPD has called me several times, and I told him, "Im moving back to NY", but they keep calling. My heart is set on the NYSP, but I tell you, If I liked Cali, I would work for LAPD. They pay well, and they are hiring!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jimlv View Post
                                Whats up. I am new to this site, i was waiting for approval too. well i am a police officer in Las Vegas, but am originally from long island. taking the test in january. for any trooper here i have a question. how do you think the transition would be from going from a more city urban policing to, a more rural/ highway policing upstate new york. do most troopers enjoy working the highways.
                                My class and from what I understand most clases are made up of 10% former NYPD. We have guys from agencies all over the states, from local PDs to large agencies. I know of 1 guy who missed the dept he worked at and left the state police. He prefered how they handled calls there and didn't like the amount of paperwork we have.

Read through the thread and it has been discussed extensively that most stations are complaint stations and you handle every call from a barking dog to an armed robbery and beyond. Of course most felony cases are turned over to our BCI. You will cover a larger area but for the most part you will be kept busy with all types of calls. If you want to take left turns all days long there isn't much of a wait for the T-way. Don't know why anyone would want to do that though...

Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
                                4 years I will be 27 and thinking that it might be too late for me to start a career around 29-30. I have a BA in CRJ. I was hoping to work as a trooper for 2 years then get into BCI. Its going to be tough tho since I want to have my first kid around 28-30. I really want a career in some type of criminal investigation within law enforcement, and really dread the thought of spending my career behind a book or a desk, which is why I'm very hesitant about law school .

The average age in my class was around 27 and around 5 recruits were 30 or older. Out of 26 recruits in my session only 2 were under the age of 25. In my station everyone in my platoon has at least a BA/BS so don't think that will give you an "edge" in getting into the BCI. Usually it takes around 7yrs to make the BCI, though I know of a guy who made it in approx 3.5 yrs and quit after around 3 months because he didn't like it. I am not sure what you think our BCI does but if you don't like sitting behind a desk then BCI is not for you. If they are not typing up a report they are on the phone, or interviewing someone... from behind their desks...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5549 users online. 334 members and 5215 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X