300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikeywUSCG View Post
    What is the deal with the new Dodge Chargers? I've only ever seen pics of NYSP ones. Will they be completely replacing the current CV?

Also, what are the OT rates? Thanks!
    The OT rate is 1.5 times hourly rate, when broken down from these yearly figures (from the NYSP public site).

http://www.nytrooper.com/salary_benefits.cfm

Salary, Promotions, Benefits and Retirement

Starting Salary

Effective April 1, 2006

$50,374 - Starting salary (during Academy training)

$61,525 - Upon graduation from the Academy

$65,358 - After one year

$77,218 - After five years

Salaries do not include additional location compensation for New York City and the following counties: Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester.

Promotion

There are numerous promotional opportunities from sergeant to superintendent through competitive and appointive processes for both the Uniformed Force and Bureau of Criminal Investigation. A few examples are provided below:

You may compete in the promotional process for the supervisory rank of sergeant after 4 years. Salary: $90,795

You may compete in the promotional process for the middle management rank of lieutenant after serving 2 years as a sergeant. Salary: $107,967

You may apply to be appointed as an Investigator in the Bureau of Criminal Investigation after 4 years of service or after 2 years of service with a Bachelor's Degree. Salary: $88,444 (Salary does not include overtime.)

Note: Salaries do not include location compensation or longevity payments.

Benefits

120 hours of vacation annually, up to a maximum of 224 hours, depending on length of service.

12 annually paid holidays.

24 to 40 paid personal leave hours based on length of service.

Paid sick leave accumulating at the rate of 104 hours per year.

Excellent health, dental, and optical insurance coverage.

All uniforms and equipment are provided, including dry cleaning services for uniforms.

Retirement

Retirement at half pay after 20 years.

Vesting after 5 years.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Anyone know what the latest news is on the Academy thats in right now?

Comment

• I need some advice, and I'll try to make this short and sweet...

Heres the deal:

As some of you might know from my previous posts in this forum, I took the NYSP exam in March of 2006, and got called back later that year. As of right now I am on a military deferment, I get out in the summer of '08. I just got some paperwork in the mail from the Albany (its the NYSP Trooper background packet).

So I'm filling the stuff out, and one of the first questions is "4. Have you been treated/counseled by a psyciatrist/psycologist?"
        ___

The answer is yes; when I came home from Iraq I had to see the shrink a 4 or 5 times. She told me that I'm "normal, Ive dealt with abnormal events". <whatever that means>...
        ___

My question is this: is it worth me explaining my situation to the background investigators? Or are they just going to see me as a mental and reject my @ss?
        Last edited by reils49; 12-24-2007, 09:04 PM.
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Relis49....

All I Can Say Is Honesty Is The Best Policy.
          One Thing I Noticed As I Have Been Going Through Processing So Far Is That The Truth Is What They Looking For... Nothing More, Nothing Less.

Hope That Helps You.
          Last edited by MB Troop; 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
            I
            The answer is yes; when I came home from Iraq I had to see the shrink a 4 or 5 times. She told me that I'm "normal, Ive dealt with abnormal events". <whatever that means>...
            ___

My question is this: is it worth me explaining my situation to the background investigators? Or are they just going to see me as a mental and reject my @ss?

Nowadays a lot of stations have prior military personnel that have been to combat and almost every station has someone overseas or at least deployed because they are in the reserves. Almost 50% of my class was prior military.

I am prior miltary but the most combat I saw was trying to stop my roommate from spooning me in the field; Ft drum gets cold so you can't blame him, plus I am hot!

Your BI may see any ommision as I sign of deception. If he knows something, which he does, and you don't reveal this information then that is not good.

As long as a professional in that field states your are good to go then you should have no problems. Then again I have been to a few domestics where the male party just came back from Iraq and they needed a lot of help and were sucidal.

You should be fine as long as you don't conceal anything.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by MB Troop View Post
            Relis49....

All I Can Say Is Honesty Is The Best Policy. They Will Not Reject You Due To What Happened To You While You Were Defending Our Country. One Thing I Noticed As I Have Been Going Through Processing So Far Is That The Truth Is What They Looking For... Nothing More, Nothing Less.

Hope That Helps You.
            What Is Up With Capitalizing The First Letter OF Every Word? It Is Weird.

Don't know how you come up with the statement above.
            Last edited by GrayPatriot; 12-25-2007, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post

What Is Up With Capitalizing The First Letter OF Every Word? It Is Weird.

Don't know how you come up with the statement above.
              When you have the CAPS locked, I guess it automatically capitalizes the first letter of every word.

As far as the statement I made earlier, I failed to realize that I wasn't specific enough. Based on info that was given to me by a friend of mine who has been a Trooper for the past 10 years, The point I tried to make was that they wouldn't reject someone who has served our country (which is a plus), has gone through negative expereinces but hasn't had those experiences let him/her get the best of them.

Wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday. Stay safe and if possible, around the ones you love.

Comment

• Thanks for the info guys. Im just going to tell them everything, I dont have anything to hide, just a really touchy subject for I guess.

GrayPatriot, I know the problem with veterans and suicide. We talk to our guys alot about it, and it still happens. My unit lost a Marine while we were "in country" to suicide. 19 years old, never said a word about his problems, just decided one night he'd had enough. Its a tough deal.

Thanks for all the help though guys. Merry Christmas too everyone, and be safe.
                Last edited by reils49; 12-25-2007, 05:00 PM.
                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• graduation

What is the graduation date of the current class and what troops are closed to the new recruits.

Thanks
                  Last edited by WishIKnew; 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM. Reason: #####

Comment

• Hello everyone I'm new to the forums. I have a question that I hope you guys don't mind answering. I'm strongly aiming towards pursuing a career as a state trooper. One of the main reasons that I did not aim for any federal law enforcement agencies is that many of them have a tendency to deploy you all over the country/world and are very demanding with your time. I do plan on having a wife and kids some day and realize that my own family is too important to me to no be there for them. I was wondering if this is one of those careers that leads to high divorce rates. I was told by one of my professors that was a former ST (he went through 3 divorces)that this job is "a jealous mistress". Was wondering if it was like that with many others within the ST. Is it tough to be there for your wife and kids with this career of being a State trooper. Would much appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Comment

• You think state law enforcement won't be "demanding with you time"?

Comment

• Originally posted by WishIKnew View Post
                        What is the graduation date of the current class and what troops are closed to the new recruits.

Thanks

Feb 20th

Comment

• Originally posted by Chainsaw_chew View Post
                          Hello everyone I'm new to the forums. I have a question that I hope you guys don't mind answering. I'm strongly aiming towards pursuing a career as a state trooper. One of the main reasons that I did not aim for any federal law enforcement agencies is that many of them have a tendency to deploy you all over the country/world and are very demanding with your time. I do plan on having a wife and kids some day and realize that my own family is too important to me to no be there for them. I was wondering if this is one of those careers that leads to high divorce rates. I was told by one of my professors that was a former ST (he went through 3 divorces)that this job is "a jealous mistress". Was wondering if it was like that with many others within the ST. Is it tough to be there for your wife and kids with this career of being a State trooper. Would much appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
                          I don't have accurate statistics about divorce rates among police officers (or inaccurate ones for that matter). But most of the Troopers I know are married, and just once. There are some travel demands, being a statewide LE agency, and I suppose that does put some pressure on families. But my brother is an accountant, and he has to travel for work too, and far more than I do.

The job isn't going to cause a divorce, if that's what you are worried about.

Comment

• Thanks very much Up on base, slow down there and jarhead for the responses. Yeah i will give it a shot. I always wanted to protect the lambs of the world from the wolves of the world, but after my father died i realized how important family is and spending time with them and watching your kids grow up. Guess that highly contributed to the doubts. Anyone know anything about the Bureau of criminal investigations? I keep looking for information about it but cant really find much. Does anyone know the work schedule if it is the same as working as a trooper? Also does anyone have any idea when the next test is? Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and god bless.

Comment

• Oh,man... I am guessing that you didn't sign up for the upcoming test before December 1st? If so, you are going to have to wait awhile. (about 4 years) It's all on www.nytrooper.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                                Feb 20th
                                when will they be looking to hire the new class of the 2008 test?

ugh 3weeks until I take my test, do or die to see if I get my dream job.
                                "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8990 users online. 400 members and 8590 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X