Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York State Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by adam2026 View Post
    Hello all, new to the forum.

    q1. Wanted to know what the current troopers feel is the best and worst parts of the job?

    q2. what do you wish you knew before joining, that you now know?

    q3. Also on a side note, I wanted to know how dinner or lunches work, can you just stop at a Burger King during a lull in the shift, or does one person go at 11:30 and the next at 12:00 so that only one person is eating at once?
    a1. It's exciting, fun, rewarding, demanding. Sometimes, too much so.

    a2. Nothing really. It's just what I expected.

    a3. Most supervisors don't feel the need to micro-manage at this level.
    The Troopers cover that so that the jobs get covered.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

    Comment


    • This is for all current Troopers (SDT, Gray Patriot etc.)

      I've been doing my homework regarding past graduations and the starting of new classes. I realized that as soon as a class graduates, the period of time till when another class starts is anywhere from 40-48 days.
      Now according to SDT, the current class graduates on February 20th, 2008. If my homework and figures serve me right, the Spring class should start anywhere from April 1- April 8.
      Could anyone verify this estimation?
      Thanks

      Comment


      • Originally posted by adam2026 View Post
        Hello all, new to the forum.

        q1. Wanted to know what the current troopers feel is the best and worst parts of the job?

        q2. what do you wish you knew before joining, that you now know?

        q3. Also on a side note, I wanted to know how dinner or lunches work, can you just stop at a Burger King during a lull in the shift, or does one person go at 11:30 and the next at 12:00 so that only one person is eating at once?
        1.) Best part of the job is a roadkill that has guys you work with saying good job. The worst part is burying a friend.

        2.) Most arrests result in more time doing paperwork than you can imagine... TrACS is helping with that though.

        3.) When you eat depends on how busy you are. Not uncommon for me to go with nothing more than Pop-tarts and Pepsi during a day shift because I spend 12 hours trying to make something happen. Where you eat at work depends on where everyone you've arrested works. "Double baco cheeseburger. It's for a cop." Probably dont want to goto BK when you've arrested half of the employees. Besides... BK will result in the need for new uniforms every other year or so.
        sigpic

        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

        Trooper4985's official theme song

        Comment


        • Just wanted to say that I went to my tutorial today and the Trooper that taught the class was very helpful. If anyone has not signed up for one DO IT NOW! They fill up fast and they WILL help you a lot. Plus, they're free anyways, so you have no good excuse!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
            1.)
            3.) When you eat depends on how busy you are. Not uncommon for me to go with nothing more than Pop-tarts and Pepsi during a day shift because I spend 12 hours trying to make something happen. Where you eat at work depends on where everyone you've arrested works. "Double baco cheeseburger. It's for a cop." Probably dont want to goto BK when you've arrested half of the employees. Besides... BK will result in the need for new uniforms every other year or so.
            LOL! Brown baggin' it is good advice. If you need more reasons to BYOL, then just check out the videos on Youtube with one cop who gets short changed by a girl who hates cops and ends up pepper sprayed and arrested and another cop who suspects the employees messed with his food and makes the manager rewind the security camera tapes to find they did and kicks their as* trying to arrest them.
            Last edited by ATrooper2b; 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM.
            sigpic
            IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by reils49 View Post
              What I am primarily concerned about is my family, well, mostly my inlaws...
              Any thoughts?
              Take NYIllini's advice. Be advised it is very easy to lose this job once you are in. You don't want to make things more difficult on yourself.

              Originally posted by adam2026 View Post
              Hello all, new to the forum.

              q1. Wanted to know what the current troopers feel is the best and worst parts of the job?

              q2. what do you wish you knew before joining, that you now know?

              q3. Also on a side note, I wanted to know how dinner or lunches work, can you just stop at a Burger King during a lull in the shift, or does one person go at 11:30 and the next at 12:00 so that only one person is eating at once?
              q1. As cheesy as it sounds I became a trooper to help people and I get more satisfaction out of helping a stranded motorist or catching the little punks who broke into someones residence over writing a speeder or heaven forbid breaking up an underage drinking party. Worst points: It is a job like any other job at the end of the day.

              q2. When you are at a house party you seem to be always introduced as Trooper "" like they never introduce the UPS guy as "delivery guy Jones" When people meet you for the first time they want to tell you about how rude some cop/trooper was to them.

              q3. Our day shift eats breakfast at 7:15am and usually doesn't eat again as they are too busy. On the 2 shift no place is really open so we bring something small to eat as we want to race out there and stop the bad guys
              Originally posted by MB Troop View Post
              This is for all current Troopers (SDT, Gray Patriot etc.)

              I realized that as soon as a class graduates, the period of time till when another class starts is anywhere from 40-48 days.
              April 1- April 8.
              Could anyone verify this estimation?
              Thanks
              I didn't think there was that long between classes I thought it was closer to 2 weeks. I haven't been keeping track though.
              Last edited by GrayPatriot; 12-16-2007, 01:58 AM.

              Comment


              • thank

                Thanks for answering those 3 questions.

                Another Q:

                Do you prefer overnights, days, afternoon shifts and why?

                Did someone say that the overnight troopers ride 2 in a car?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                  I didn't think there was that long between classes I thought it was closer to 2 weeks. I haven't been keeping track though.
                  GP is right. The last two classes had approx. 2-3 week breaks between classes. So hopefully the next class will have the same gap because the wait is starting to drive me nuts. It was no joke when you made guys said after your done with your processing you get to hurry up and wait.
                  sigpic
                  IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NYIllini
                    You will be better off if you don't try to figure it out. I tried to do the same thing and it really screwed things up for me b/c in the end I was waiting a lot longer that I thought. The 193rd graduate on OCT 31st, the 194 was supposed to start the second or third week of NOV at the latest. It did not start until the second week of JAN. The Academy is just a small part of the Division so what goes on there is a result of what is happening Division wide. I'm sure if the Academy had its way it would be every 2 weeks or so, but with manpower and budget issues always weighing in I would not count on any date until it comes in the mail with the final job offer. Trust me you don't want to be like me and get a phone call after you just signed out on terminal leave to find out that the academy just got pushed back 2 months because you were counting on something the someone in Albany told you instead of having it in writing first.

                    Also I might add when planning your budget for the time between jobs remember it could be close to a month after you start before you see you first NYSP paycheck.
                    I hear ya man.
                    sigpic
                    IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NYIllini
                      You will be better off if you don't try to figure it out. I tried to do the same thing and it really screwed things up for me b/c in the end I was waiting a lot longer that I thought. The 193rd graduate on OCT 31st, the 194 was supposed to start the second or third week of NOV at the latest. It did not start until the second week of JAN. The Academy is just a small part of the Division so what goes on there is a result of what is happening Division wide. I'm sure if the Academy had its way it would be every 2 weeks or so, but with manpower and budget issues always weighing in I would not count on any date until it comes in the mail with the final job offer. Trust me you don't want to be like me and get a phone call after you just signed out on terminal leave to find out that the academy just got pushed back 2 months because you were counting on something the someone in Albany told you instead of having it in writing first.

                      Also I might add when planning your budget for the time between jobs remember it could be close to a month after you start before you see you first NYSP paycheck.
                      NYILLINI, if you dont mind me asking, what class did you graduate from?

                      I know what you mean in terms of trying not to figure it out, but I guess mentally, I just wanted to have a round about idea. lol. According to my little estimation, I was on point with the start and graduation of every academy class, including the 193rd Class. I was about a week off on that one. But you are definitely right about being better off if you don't try to figure it out because you never know what Albany has in mind. I guess only time will tell.

                      Thanks for the advice about not making any haste moves until you officially get the offer in writing. I bet a lot of people make that mistake, and it could very well be costly to them. I know exactly what to make of that advice. Thanks again.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by NYIllini
                        Trust me you don't want to be like me and get a phone call after you just signed out on terminal leave to find out that the academy just got pushed back 2 months because you were counting on something the someone in Albany told you instead of having it in writing first.
                        NYI, can you ellaborate on this a little bit? I'm trying to work the system a little bit to my advantage (plan my terminal leave by the time that the academy starts). Any tips or advice on this?
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                          Just wanted to say that I went to my tutorial today and the Trooper that taught the class was very helpful. If anyone has not signed up for one DO IT NOW! They fill up fast and they WILL help you a lot. Plus, they're free anyways, so you have no good excuse!
                          I taught a tutorial on dec 15th (the date you posted this).

                          By any chance, was it a sergeant?
                          You can now follow me on twitter.

                          Comment


                          • It doesn't depend on the Troop (except for Troop T) as much as it depends on the station.

                            Take a look at Troop E. In Monroe County, it's mostly traffic. (The notable exception is Project IMPACT) If you go one county east to Ontario, they're taking complaints right along with the Sheriff's Department.


                            Or at least that's my understanding from working with guys and gals from both stations. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                              I taught a tutorial on dec 15th (the date you posted this).

                              By any chance, was it a sergeant?
                              Negative. SHE did a great job and I definitely learned a lot.

                              Comment


                              • What is the deal with the new Dodge Chargers? I've only ever seen pics of NYSP ones. Will they be completely replacing the current CV?

                                Also, what are the OT rates? Thanks!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 7773 users online. 303 members and 7470 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X