300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    This is a great description of the work schedule, but it's SDT, not STD.

Perhaps you have something else on your mind.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. LMAO!!

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
        Any graduation date yet for the current class?

Feb. 20th
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
          My bad, I'll have to hit "Ignore" on spell check from now on. And perhaps limit my INTERNET time to just this website!

For all of you taking the upcoming exam here is the official website of the company that produces the examination:

http://www.iosolutions.org/index.asp

If you follow the link that says:
          Police and Fire Candidates, please click here.
          you will be redirected to a new website on that website you will find a link to a practice exam. That link will take you here:
          http://www.publicsafetyrecruitment.c...o.asp?testID=1

I found this the day before I took the test in 05. This test was extremely similar to the first part of the test I took the next day. It cost about $15.00 to take but I found it worth it and once I left the actual exam I was pretty relived because of how similar the practice was to the actual, the actual was not such a surprise. The score I got on line was with in a few point of my actual score. It does not have the second part of the test but you really can't study for that anyway. Good luck to all who signed up.
          Interesting.

I just taught an exam tutorial tonight, and I mentioned this website. In fact, I printed off the page and gave it to the attendees. It's nice to hear that it was somewhat helpful.

There is a practice exam during the tutorial too, also prepared by I/O solutions. And it's free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead1302 View Post
            Are Troopers afforded the opportunity to take college classes part time? How do they work that out with the changing time schedule?
            The opportunity is there, but even with online classes it would be very difficult. When you are on your long week you don't just work 60hours you have travel time to and from work; I get there 30 mins early and leave 30 mins late on most days, and then staying over for OT. Basically you are gone from your home closer to 75-80 hours on your long week. I am 2 classes from completing my Masters but in the last 3 years I have had no opportunity to complete it.

[QUOTE=NYSP61;1031113]Sounds correct, but I can't imagine anyone [I]not[I] taking OT at the $ rate they must get!

[QUOTE=NYSP61;1031113]

I don't know why they bother to call me I turn them down all the time unless it is someone from my station who banged in sick, and they have to drag someone from another county who is not familiar with our radio system, and patrol area. I won't cover another station, no thanks... I value my time with my kids too much...

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=MB Troop;1025090]Anybody have any information on any Tutorials for the L Troop Area? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                Anyone know how long it usually takes for Albany to finalize your paperwork from your BI? My BI said he sent my paperwok to Albany about a month ago and I called Albany to try and get a tentative date for med invites and when the next class should be and they told me my BI paperwork was received according to the computer but has not finalized yet.

As for ATrooper2B, I know exactly what you're thinking. I'm going through the same thing. All you want is to have the doors open so you can lunge right in there lol.
                http://www.nytrooper.com/troop_l.cfm

all the tutorials for troop L for the month of december are closed.
                I have mine on the 20th.
                "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

My bad, I'll have to hit "Ignore" on spell check from now on. And perhaps limit my INTERNET time to just this website!

For all of you taking the upcoming exam here is the official website of the company that produces the examination:

http://www.iosolutions.org/index.asp

If you follow the link that says:
                  Police and Fire Candidates, please click here.
                  you will be redirected to a new website on that website you will find a link to a practice exam. That link will take you here:
                  http://www.publicsafetyrecruitment.c...o.asp?testID=1

I found this the day before I took the test in 05. This test was extremely similar to the first part of the test I took the next day. It cost about $15.00 to take but I found it worth it and once I left the actual exam I was pretty relived because of how similar the practice was to the actual, the actual was not such a surprise. The score I got on line was with in a few point of my actual score. It does not have the second part of the test but you really can't study for that anyway. Good luck to all who signed up.
                  I ordered the book on monday.
                  hopefuly it will help.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• I value my time with my kids too much...

Nice to hear GrayPatriot. Seriously I really mean it.

I haven't been bringing home a weekly paycheck since Aug. 2006 when I went back to finish up my B.A., so right now my goal is job and some money so that my wife and I can get a house and start preparing for children. Right now we enjoy being married without kids, but it sure will be nice to have a real job again, and the opportunity to work OT to invest in our future.

Again, nice to hear you be down to earth.

Comment

• Do most troopers live in the same area they work? Ive been trying to think of the pro/con's of working close to home vs. commuting a distance. I have a few trooper friends, and they seem to prefer close to home. Just wondering about the rest of you?
                      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• I've worked at home most of my career, and prefer it.

I know some people that want to be one station away, just to avoid people they know. But it 's never bothered me to deal with people I know.

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Im pretty sure Im not going to work more than 2 hours away, (Im from Troop K area, and from what I here there is an exodus of troopers there). What I am primarily concerned about is my family, well, mostly my inlaws... lets just say, a few of them are on the "wrong side of the law", and I dont think I would want that aggravation. As soon as I took the test, and got a call back from Albany, they started chomping at the bit for me to get hired... so they could try to get out of the trouble they cause.

Any thoughts?

Comment

You need to make it clear to them in no uncertain terms That not only will you not have any power to help them but even if you did you WILL NOT.

You'll hear it plenty of times in Albany on a Friday afternoon so you might as well hear it now. There are people in your past you may have associated with even if they did not always have the same values as you. As a Trooper you don't have that option. Nobody is going to tell you to choose this or any job overr family but if you want this job you may want to change the dynamic of your relationship with them. The easiest way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from it.
                            Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to figure out how to deal with this. My wife understands. But I think I will take what you said to heart, and try to work a few stations away from them... if possible. I had a talk with her about her family, and basically told her that I cant tolerate them jeopordizing my career. And I wouldnt look the other way if they broke the law, period. I'll just try to avoid the whole thing altogether.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                              One thing and one thing only... lack of heart. I DESPISE running and I'm not a college graduate (although I never wasted saturday studying and was always 1 of the first 5 done every with tests and managed a 90 average) but I made it... because I wanted to wear a purple tie instead of a black tie. There were recruits in my class that wouldn't have made it though AF basic that made it out on the road. Prior miliary guys have a leg up on every one else. One "Marine" (got called out on some of his Iraq .50 sniper stories by a known Marine ATO) in my class eventually got fired for insurance fraud and false reporting for torching his car that he couldn't afford and reporting it stolen. Once that manilla envelope that doesn't fit in your mailbox arrives... the only reason you wont put the uniform on 6 months later is because you lack heart.
                              What if you want to wear a black tie with a gray uniform?
                              sigpic

Comment

• Worst / Best

Hello all, new to the forum.

q1. Wanted to know what the current troopers feel is the best and worst parts of the job?

q2. what do you wish you knew before joining, that you now know?

q3. Also on a side note, I wanted to know how dinner or lunches work, can you just stop at a Burger King during a lull in the shift, or does one person go at 11:30 and the next at 12:00 so that only one person is eating at once?
                                Last edited by adam2026; 12-15-2007, 11:23 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6302 users online. 221 members and 6081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X