Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYSP61, you hoping and praying for a slot in the fall '08 class too?
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
      NYSP61, you hoping and praying for a slot in the fall '08 class too?
      You better believe I am! I was getting all revved up last night watching the videos of the 194th, and whatever videos I could find on youtube. A must watch is the CT SP Graduation video! "Hail Hail State Police... A Troopers Life Was Made for Me!"

Making into the Fall '08 class is going to be a tough one right off the bat, especially with the former military members getting 5 veterans points.

I want it bad enough, so even if it is not Fall '08 I know I'll get called for one of the classes.

Everyone has been telling me to "study hard", but what they don't realize is that these LE exams are not really something you can study for. Be prepared for how they will ask questions, yes, but as far as studying for these I don't really think you can. If so, I'd be spending 6+ hours/day studying for it!

January 19 can't come soon enough! Then its hurry up and wait. Wait for the little white envelope (our score), then for the larger white envelope (invitation to Albany for Candidate Processing Weekend and BI packet), then there's the BI phase, etc., then finally the big "manilla envelope that doesn't fit in your mail box arrives" (Trooper4985).

I wish it was all as speedy as the time it took me to type that out, but I firmly believe that good things come to those who wait, so heres to the whole process and to the waiting

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
        195th
        Are they planning on holding a Spring '08 class from the old list?

If so, the Fall '08 class from the new list would be the 197th right?

Thanks NYIllini.

Comment

• NYSP61,
          Yeah I took the Troopers exam back in '06 and Im on a deferment. For me the anticipation is double: 1) Im hoping to make the Fall '08 class, and 2) Im counting down my 9 months until Im out of the Marine Corps.
          I know after I took the test in March of 06 I checked my mailbox everyday, until I got my results in August. I didnt study or anything and still managed an 85.48 on the exam. I wouldnt worry too much. Although thats easier said than done.
          Is the Monroe County Sheriffs your backup? I took the Dutchess County Sheriffs exam the same date you took the Monroe County exam.
          Now Im just waiting to start my processing and get off this deferment!
          Last edited by reils49; 08-19-2008, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
            You better believe I am! I was getting all revved up last night watching the videos of the 194th, and whatever videos I could find on youtube. A must watch is the CT SP Graduation video! "Hail Hail State Police... A Troopers Life Was Made for Me!"
            What videos from the 194th?

Comment

• Originally posted by ML75 View Post
              What videos from the 194th?
              The video on www.nytrooper.com, down at the bottom.

While not exactly the graduation video, it shows members of the 194 according to the website.

Comment

A must watch is the CT SP Graduation video! "Hail Hail State Police... A Troopers Life Was Made for Me!"
                That video is pretty awesome. I like listening to it when I'm sitting here trying to study for class or forcing myself to go run/work out. All I need to do is watch that once and I'm ready to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYIllini
                  Not sure if these have been posted before but they are other good videos on training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duZEkkKXW3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYD4Z7qnWr4
                  Thanks. There's also a special being run by Capital News 9 in Albany.
                  http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/...olice_academy/

Anybody else know any good NYSP videos?
                  Last edited by OTVFD18; 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• How are patrol vehicles assigned within a station?

I assume that the vehicles are shared?
                    Are there typically two troopers per vehicle, per day? (meaning: are the vehicles running for basically 24 hours/day?)

On average how many miles per week does a trooper put on his patrol vehicle?

How many miles per year do these cars/SUVs get driven?

Is driving the Tahoe, Camaro or other "specialty vehicles" based on senority?

Just curious.

Thank you!

Comment

How are patrol vehicles assigned within a station?

I assume that the vehicles are shared?
                      Are there typically two troopers per vehicle, per day? (meaning: are the vehicles running for basically 24 hours/day?)

On average how many miles per week does a trooper put on his patrol vehicle?

How many miles per year do these cars/SUVs get driven?

Is driving the Tahoe, Camaro or other "specialty vehicles" based on senority?

Just curious.

Thank you!
                      Cars are assigned based on platoon assignments... No real sense having 3 guys that always work together assigned to the same car because someone is always going to taking a car that isn't assigned to them. About mileage... there is no real answer for that aside from a very general esitimation of about 4-5k per month. It depends on individual patrol tactics and a lot of other things. I am very proactive with V&T... some days I'll put 250 miles on a car during a 2 shift... other times, when I actually work a day shift, I might only put 80 miles on the car because I had to spent all day doing criminal work. Some guys at the station are reactive instead of proactive so they put fewer miles on their car during their shift. My assigned car is the oldest at the station (2004) aside from the CI car because until a year ago it had a camera in it and no one (aside from me) wanted Albany watching their traffic stops. Very few guys would take the car so the miles added up much slower than other vehicles.

As for Tahoes being specialized vehicles... they are special alright but not special like you think... they are special like short bus special. Tahoes are not meant for police patrol. They are top heavy and can't get out of their own way... I though the new CVPI's with 3.55's were slow and couldn't turn. The only advantage they have is you can look down into cars and see more that you can from a CVPI but I still don't like them. The few Camaros left in division require an additional EVOC course and if I remember correctly you have to have 4 years on before you can take the course that I don't think they even have anymore because the camaros are not being replaced with anything other that slickroof CVPI's.
                      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• I heard troopers talking about working an "A line" or "B line". What does that mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                          I heard troopers talking about working an "A line" or "B line". What does that mean?

That's the shift they are working.

A tours are 11pm to 7am. If you are working an A tour on Monday, you show up at 11pm on Sunday night.
                          B tours are 7a, to 3pm.
                          C tours are 3pm to 11pm.

All times are general starting times, that can change a few hours either way. And no, it's not up to the Trooper to change them, but the sergeant.

Most Troopers don't actually work those 8 hours shifts, however (Sgt's still do). Most Troopers are 12 hours Troopers that work either 1's, 2's or flex shifts.

1 shift 7am-7pm
                          2 shift 7pm-7am
                          flex shift noon to midnight (again, generally)

There are some 8 hour Troopers, however, but most are 12 hour Troops. It depends on the job they have, not what schedule they prefer.
                          Last edited by SlowDownThere; 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM.
                          You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Troophopeful View Post
                            Haven't heard anything regarding the NYS processing for the next upcoming class and wanted to start a thread so all interested can keep inform. Where is everyone as far as processing? I'm still waiting to hear from a b.i. waiting patiently.
                            What does b.i. stand for? Maybe a dumb question but just wondering.

T.W.
                            "The ultimate test of a man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."

Hilarious:

"I read your first line, and came to the conclusion that you're an idiot."

-StudChris

Comment

• Originally posted by Danecop View Post
                              What does b.i. stand for? Maybe a dumb question but just wondering.

T.W.
                              Background Investigator or background investigation, depending on the context.
                              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                                platoon assignments
                                What comprises a typical platoon? And how many platoons will work at a particular station?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7595 users online. 220 members and 7375 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X