300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
    Anyone know how long it usually takes for Albany to finalize your paperwork from your BI? My BI said he sent my paperwok to Albany about a month ago and I called Albany to try and get a tentative date for med invites and when the next class should be and they told me my BI paperwork was received according to the computer but has not finalized yet. Is it common for finalization to take this long? or Does it mean they have a problem with something in the BI?

Thanks
    I'm not a made man yet. But from experience I can tell you that the next time you hear anything it will most likely be either a DQ letter from Albany or a Letter telling you when the Medical screening is. The class that is in the academy now should be finishing in mid-February so the next class would most likely start in mid-March beginning of April. I would expect the invites for the Medical to go out some time in mid to end of January. The exams will be some time in February and the invites for the next academy would start going out about 2-3 weeks from the start date. I have never tried to call Albany for info but other people have and they usually do not give out much info.

Trust me the wait sucks, but just wait until after the medical. The wait to find out if you made the next class is 100X worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
      SDT, thanks for the help.

As for signing up for the 2008 tests, I havent. I have been in contact with the NYSP Military Recruiter, and he assures me that the deferments granted to active duty military members <<note: not college or any other deferments>> are good for either 2 years past your End of Active Service Date -or- 2 years after your test list expires, whichever comes first. He also went on to say, that when my test expires and I request my deferment be lifted, I will be senior in number to those on the new list regardless of their rank.... because my number has already been called on the previous list and I deffered due to my military duty obligation.

I was told that this change in policy occured at the same time that "military only" exams were implemented, some time after 9/11 I suppose. Thats what Im being told from Albany. Who knows...
      That's good to know. Being at the top of the next list will help you out a lot when you come off of deferment.

your profile states that you're still over in Iraq. If so..we hope you come home safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtyduce View Post
        Trust me the wait sucks, but just wait until after the medical. The wait to find out if you made the next class is 100X worse.

AGREED!

Comment

• Does an investigator outrank a trooper? And a friend of mine who a Trooper says he doesnt want to become a Sergeant because he makes more than they do? Whats up with that?
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
            SDT, GrayPatriot, GrayState, FUCCO, Trooper4985, and other troopers :

When the information becomes available to you, please post the final count of those that signed up for the exam.

Thank you.
            27,950 signed up to take the test.
            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• When do you have to establish NYS residency by? Before graduation from the academy or before entering the academy? Thanks all
                It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
                  When do you have to establish NYS residency by? Before graduation from the academy or before entering the academy? Thanks all
                  You have to be a NYS resident on the date you enter the Academy.

Get yourself a NYS address and DL.

SDT

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                    Troopers may be at the bottom, but it's the best job of the whole rank structure
                    Actually, I agree with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post

SDT
                      Thanks SDT, Usually how much time is there between job offer to entering the Academy?
                      It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
                        Thanks SDT, Usually how much time is there between job offer to entering the Academy?
                        Ideally, you would get a few weeks notice, but not always.

If they are having a class of 150, then they will canvas 150 (or slightly more). After getting the replies, they will canvas some more to make up the 150, and then again if needed.

Then, after they get the 150 names, someone won't show up, and someone else will quit on Monday, so they call more people and ask them to show up Tuesday so that they still have the 150 slots filled. (these people are called backfills).

So, if you are on the front end of that process, you may get a couple of weeks. If you are on the back end of that process, you may get a couple of hours. Or you may be somewhere in between.

Comment

• The above post highlights the need to keep your contact information up-to-date.

Comment

SDT

I'm sure the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway: would you recommend that a recruit uses, for example, a relative's house address that lives in NY, but the recruit not actually living there in order to fulfill the residency requirement (atleast temporarily)? Also, in my case, I already have a NJ DL, would I have to take a road test to acquire a NY DL, or is it just a bunch of paperwork?

Thanks.

Comment

• Lot's of people use a relatives house, not as a scam to get around the requirment, but as a actual temporary residence.

You will not have to take a road test if you have a valid license from another state. I think there is a written test (very easy) and a vision test. And of course the fee.

Comment

Actually, I agree with this.
                                SDT,

Are you able (given your position) to elaborate as to why you agree?

I can imagine one reason would be the increase in paperwork as you climb the supervisory ladder, but some other reasons would be interesting to hear.

Thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4221 users online. 189 members and 4032 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X