Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Up_On_Base;1018750]Anyone know how many people signed up for this test? I know several people from my former agency (USSS-UD) are planning to take the exam in Jan.

Here is a link to the entire article but to answer your question, it states over22,000 have signed up so far.

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Publ..._Signed_Up.cfm

Comment

• Originally posted by ML75 View Post
      Does anyone know what happens if a recruit is injured during the academy and can't continue for a period of time...(4-6 weeks)? I'm just curious if they defer you to the next scheduled class regardless of list and rank or if they wash you out and expect you to re-apply.
      You come back in the next class and keep your seniority... just like if you fail out on academics.
      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• u dont keep ur senoity. They take how many days u were in the previous class and then pre-date the same amoun to the on duty date of the next class u start wirh. U will realistically be the most senior person in ur current class but be junior to everyone that graduated in the class u left.

Comment

• Originally posted by FUCCO View Post
          u dont keep ur senoity. They take how many days u were in the previous class and then pre-date the same amoun to the on duty date of the next class u start wirh. U will realistically be the most senior person in ur current class but be junior to everyone that graduated in the class u left.
          Which is what I meant...
          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Thanks Trooper4985 and FUCCO for the info.

Did I understand correctly that if you fail out on academics they let you come back and try again? What are the other reasons, besides academics, that guys fail out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
              Anyone know how many people signed up for this test? I know several people from my former agency (USSS-UD) are planning to take the exam in Jan.

From reading this thread, looks like they have 2-3 academies per year w/ 80-200 people per class, sound right?

Also, about how many recruits does NYSP plan to send to Albany from this test, are they expecting a lot of retirments?
              Approximately 22,600 people have signed up so far (only a few days left to do so).

We've reached beyond 10,000 on the current list, if that is any guide.

We generally have two academy classes a year, that vary in size because of the budget.
              You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• I think that there will be substantial hiring in the next few years.

The SP had two academy classes that were twice the normal size (in the fall of 1986 and spring of 1987). For those two classes, we had full academy classes in both Albany and Brockport. Since all of those people (about 1000 members) are all now eligible to retire, there should be quite a bit of turnover. Some may stick around to see what a contract looks like, but if you're moving on to a new job, that's not going to hold you back.

While 10,000 people may seem like a lot, you should know that approximately 17,000 passed the test.

Comment

If 17,000 passed what score was considered passing?
                  70% is considered passsing. Come to a tutorial and you can take a practice exam, and learn just what to expect.

I would also think as the list ages many people move on to other LE jobs and interests.
                  Yes, they do. The older the list gets, the more people pass on the job, as they have moved on with their lives.

One thing that everyone should know...keep the Division infomed of any changes in address/phone number. You would be surprized how many people don't, and it sometimes costs them the opportunity to proceed with testing.

You can change your contact information through the website.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                    I think that there will be substantial hiring in the next few years.

The SP had two academy classes that were twice the normal size (in the fall of 1986 and spring of 1987). For those two classes, we had full academy classes in both Albany and Brockport. Since all of those people (about 1000 members) are all now eligible to retire, there should be quite a bit of turnover...
                    SDT,

In your opinion, would they ever hold academy classes in two different locations again?

Thank you.
                    Last edited by NYSP61; 11-27-2007, 10:52 PM. Reason: "s" where it didn't need to be

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
                      SDT,

In your opinion, would they ever hold academy classes in two different locations again?

Thanks you.
                      no

Comment

If 17,000 passed what score was considered passing?

I would also think as the list ages many people move on to other LE jobs and interests.
                        10,000 may seem like you're scarping the bottom, but I took the test and scored something like 90.5 or 91 and I was ranked in the 8,000's. Since then I think I've ended up in the 9,000's due to active duty military testing given after the fact.

Another fun little tid bit... a friend who I took the test with scored 1 or 1.5 points higher than I did and there were approximately 5,000 spaces between us in ranking. He got hired by a local PD and decided not to re-process after we didn't make the January '07 class.

Comment

• What kind of things can get you fired during field training?

The reason I'm asking is this: a guy I went to high school with got canned during his field training here in Troop K recently. I told him I was on the list, and was asking him some questions about it, but the guy is all evasive and wont tell me anything. He says he "quit" because "I didnt like it". Some other buddies told me otherwise. I was just wondering.
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                            What kind of things can get you fired during field training?

The reason I'm asking is this: a guy I went to high school with got canned during his field training here in Troop K recently. I told him I was on the list, and was asking him some questions about it, but the guy is all evasive and wont tell me anything. He says he "quit" because "I didnt like it". Some other buddies told me otherwise. I was just wondering.
                            Most people make it through field training with no problems. There is learning to do, and it's not a cake walk, but almost everyone is capable of doing it.

The only people I have seen do poorly were those not motivated to do well. If you want the job and are willing to work, you will do just fine. Don't let your friend's experience influence you.

Comment

Looks like they should make the test a little more challenging, if you scored in the 90's and still ranked that high the test was to easy.
                              The highest score was 93, and 15% of those who took it failed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
                                The highest score was 93, and 15% of those who took it failed it.
                                Evidence that it is not too easy at all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8580 users online. 423 members and 8157 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X