300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
    Lets say I put down K, L, and F what are the chances of getting assigned to lets say Buffalo or Niagra? My fiance works in CT, she loves her job (makes a ton of $$$) and is not very enthusiastic about possibly re-locating.
    Barring a small anomaly you are not getting L right out of the academy. As I said before...think B, F, and K out of the academy. I wanted Troop E which was closed when I was in the academy but I was only downstate (SP Highland) from June to the following January before I was transfered back to Troop E. Spend your Saturdays studying, shooting and running instead of partying and you might be able to choose what station you are assigned to providing the Troop is available.
    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
      Lets say I put down K, L, and F what are the chances of getting assigned to lets say Buffalo or Niagra? My fiance works in CT, she loves her job (makes a ton of $$$) and is not very enthusiastic about possibly re-locating.
      Your chances of getting Buffalo/Niagara, if you request K, L, F are zero.

Your chances of getting Buffalo/Niagara, if you request them, not much better.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
        If you get F or K out of the academy does that mean you do your field trooper training there? These are easier Troops to get correct?

I am thinking of taking the test but would prefer to live/work in F or K, my wife is from that area.

Thanks
        If you request F or K, you will almost certainly get it, both for field training, and for your permanent assignement.

We do allow people to field train way upstate before sending them downstate to work, but that is always done for the recruits benefit (as it's the ones from upstate that want to do it). Also, the FTO's are spread out across the state. One or two troops couldn't possibly come up with enough FTO's to train everyone.

Bottom line is this, you never have to worry about being forced to work in Troops E or A (western NY).

Comment

• If a new trooper does somehow manage to get A or E Troop right out of the Academy (rare I know, but it does happen from time to time), does he/she have any choice in the barracks/station?

Example: New Trooper gets Troop E, but is stationed at Horseheads, but wants to work out of Geneseo or Canandaigua. What does he/she have to do to move around within a Troop? Can a trooper work out of one station for a while, then transfer to another easily, as long as it is in the same Troop?

As always, thank you experienced NYS Troopers for your responses.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5K Runner View Post
            P.S Are you trying to discourage me from taking the test so you have less competition I think I read a thread on here where you said something like that! Lol. Good luck
            Nah... he doesn't need competition from you. I'm taking the exam - that's all the competition he can handle.

If someone wouldn't mind posting the dates for the tutorial in Troop E when it's posted, that would be cool.

Can you make separate requests for FT and for permanent assignment? If I had the option, I'd probably request Troop F for my FT time rather than risk assignment to Troop B because I have friends and family down that way and I can feel my way around there pretty well already. Besides that, I can't stand the north country. Eventually, I'd like to work my way back to Troop E and work closer to home. I'd LOVE to work Monroe, Ontario, or Western Wayne.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post
              If a new trooper does somehow manage to get A or E Troop right out of the Academy (rare I know, but it does happen from time to time), does he/she have any choice in the barracks/station?

No on has gotten A troop out of the academy in a long long time and that is not going to change. If you know of someone either they got a hardship transfer or something like that but A is not happening - A topic which has been discussed many times before. Some people waiting to get back from my class from the old list won't until next transfer which will be over 3.5yrs on the job by the time they transfer and some may have to wait even longer...
              Troop E is probably a long shot too.

To answer the second part of your question:
              The 1st Sgt may call you and ask you for a preference in station but ultimately it will go by seniority and availability.

Comment

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE, for those of you working today stay safe out there.
                "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Deleted Post
                  Last edited by OTVFD18; 11-23-2007, 12:54 AM. Reason: Sent via PM

Comment

• Originally posted by NYSP61 View Post

Example: New Trooper gets Troop E, but is stationed at Horseheads, but wants to work out of Geneseo or Canandaigua. What does he/she have to do to move around within a Troop? Can a trooper work out of one station for a while, then transfer to another easily, as long as it is in the same Troop?
                    The First Deputy Superintendent assigns you to a particular Troop, but not a station. Once assigned to a Troop, the Troop Commander assigns you to a station. You can request a transfer to another station within that Troop as soon as you get there. It may take some time to get that transfer, and they are generally granted based upon seniority.

It actually takes quite some time to get to Geneseo, not so much to Canandaigua. And BTW, Horeseheads is a great station to work at.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Got a few questions:

From reading previous post getting stationed in Troops F or K is fairly easy, what is the difference in pay compared to upstate?
                        I'd have to check the contract to be exact, but those stationed in certain downstate counties get a few thousand dollars/year more pay.

I just barely made the cutoff for this test, I am turning 30 in Feb. Does NYSP like to hire 22-24 year old guys or older candidates w/ some previous experience (like me)?
                        It's your position on the list, not your age that matters.

Final question, once you get the call for processing is there an out of state process where you can knock out physical/medical/poly? Albany is a far drive from MD although I am in Bergen county atleast once a month visiting family.

Thanks.
                        They might be able to accomodate you somewhat. But generally, these are different stages of the process. For example, the poly is part of the BI, and we don't even start the medical until you pass every thing else. I see several trips in your future. Consider youself lucky you're not in North Dakota.

Comment

From reading previous post getting stationed in Troops F or K is fairly easy, what is the difference in pay compared to upstate?
                          Straight from our now expired contract (Come on big retro check )

"Upstate" at 5 years - $74566
                          Orange/Putnam/Dutchess at 5 years - $74741
                          NYC/Rockland/Westchester at 5 years - $75678
                          LI at 5 years - $75923

The little bit extra they give you for working downstate does nothing to make up for the cost of living. What does a 2700 sq ft house on 5 acres cost on LI? What does the same house cost 'upstate'? I have heard Troop L guys saying it's hard to make ends meet sometimes when the OT dries up... I will admit I had a lot of fun working at Highland but cost of living made the decision to come back up here very easy.
                          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Anyone know how many people signed up for this test? I know several people from my former agency (USSS-UD) are planning to take the exam in Jan.

From reading this thread, looks like they have 2-3 academies per year w/ 80-200 people per class, sound right?

Also, about how many recruits does NYSP plan to send to Albany from this test, are they expecting a lot of retirments?
                            To address you primary question. I have no idea how many prior Secret Service guys are Troopers. I can say this though... 3 classes a year is a pipe dream. Classes are a minimum of 26 weeks long and graduations are at the Governor's leisure.

As for retirements... Since I've been in my home zone I have seen 2 Z/Sgt's (who have been OTJ before most of you were born) and 1 SC/Sgt promoted to Inv retire. SDT may have a more educated idea about retirements but I believe that most guys will stick around to see what the next contract holds and then make a decision on retirement. [email protected] means a lot of guys will stick around.
                            Last edited by Trooper4985; 11-26-2007, 06:11 AM.
                            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Does anyone know what happens if a recruit is injured during the academy and can't continue for a period of time...(4-6 weeks)? I'm just curious if they defer you to the next scheduled class regardless of list and rank or if they wash you out and expect you to re-apply.

Comment

• Troop E Tutorial Schedule is now online.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10416 users online. 443 members and 9973 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X