300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 5K Runner View Post
    Wow this is a huge thread Lots of great info though.

I am also taking the NYSP test in Jan. I was looking online and noticed the troop in my area (E) did not post their tutorial schedule yet. I was just curious what kind of information do you get in these tutorials?

Thanks and good luck guys
    I too have been waiting for Troop E to post tutorial dates. Then again, if I had that shiny new Tahoe like Tpr. Kotin, I'd be out driving rather than sitting in front of the computer

Comment

Wow this is a huge thread Lots of great info though.

I am also taking the NYSP test in Jan. I was looking online and noticed the troop in my area (E) did not post their tutorial schedule yet. I was just curious what kind of information do you get in these tutorials?

Thanks and good luck guys
      Just yesterday I was at SP Oneida learning all about these tutorials.
      I'll be doing some of them in Troop "E". The website should be updated soon with dates/times and locations.

The tutorial will tell you what to expect. We'll go over the format of the exam, the number of questions, time limits, scoring process etc. There is a practice exam too. If you are serious about wanting the job, I would reccomend that you attend one of the tutorials. It is only a couple of hours long (you can walk out anytime you want), and I think it will help put you at ease on the day of the exam, since you'll know what to expect.
      Last edited by SlowDownThere; 11-17-2007, 09:30 PM.
      You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarhead1302 View Post
        Unfortunately, I couldn’t make the last supplemental military exam. I’d have to rock the next test in order to get in before 2010.
        I just saw this old post of yours, and I don't know if it's been addressed.

But once you are on a list, you cannot "age" off of it. If your concern was your age in 2010, it's not going to keep you from getting hired.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
          Just yesterday I was at SP Oneida learning all about these tutorials.
          I'll be doing some of them in Troop "E". The website should be updated soon with dates/times and locations.

The tutorial will tell you what to expect. We'll go over the format of the exam, the number of questions, time limits, scoring process etc. There is a practice exam too. If you are serious about wanting the job, I would reccomend that you attend one of the tutorials. It is only a couple of hours long (you can walk out anytime you want), and I think it will help put you at ease on the day of the exam, since you'll know what to expect.
          Great, thanks for the info. After I learned about the tutorials I was planning to sign up, just wasn't sure what topics were covered. The NYSP is my LE agency of choice and I've been signed up to take the exam for about 2 months. My only issue is that I'm a year away from finishing my BS (took some time off to work and make decent money). Not saying that I'd ever turn down a job offer from the NYSP, just that I'll probably be a better candidate in 4 years with my degree finished and a couple more years of "life experience" under my belt.

Comment

• Re-Psych Exam

Was it me or did the written psych exam this past Saturday seem shorter than the one we took last time?

Comment

Great, thanks for the info. After I learned about the tutorials I was planning to sign up, just wasn't sure what topics were covered. The NYSP is my LE agency of choice and I've been signed up to take the exam for about 2 months. My only issue is that I'm a year away from finishing my BS (took some time off to work and make decent money). Not saying that I'd ever turn down a job offer from the NYSP, just that I'll probably be a better candidate in 4 years with my degree finished and a couple more years of "life experience" under my belt.
              you can always defer the process until you finish your degree, just because you take the test doesn't mean that you will get called. the timing for this test couldn't have worked out any better for me, I finish my BA in May 08 and I turn 21 at the end of Jan.
              "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                you can always defer the process until you finish your degree, just because you take the test doesn't mean that you will get called. the timing for this test couldn't have worked out any better for me, I finish my BA in May 08 and I turn 21 at the end of Jan.
                If I made it through the whole process- no way would I defer or turn down anything. I would want to get to academy asap, lol. I'm just saying that I would probably have a better chance with my BS and a couple more years under my belt (I turn 21 in May).

P.S Are you trying to discourage me from taking the test so you have less competition I think I read a thread on here where you said something like that! Lol. Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by ML75 View Post
                  Was it me or did the written psych exam this past Saturday seem shorter than the one we took last time?
                  I think it was just as long but I finished about an hour faster this time then last.

Also there were only about 90 to 100 people there so that could be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtyduce View Post
                    I think it was just as long but I finished about an hour faster this time then last.

Also there were only about 90 to 100 people there so that could be good.
                    Yeah, I finished mine an hour faster than last time too. And the 90-100 is right. When I called Albany to confirm I would be there, they told me that 100 people had been invited to the update. Unfortunately I don't know how many people they had at the last PAT a few months back.

Comment

If I made it through the whole process- no way would I defer or turn down anything. I would want to get to academy asap, lol. I'm just saying that I would probably have a better chance with my BS and a couple more years under my belt (I turn 21 in May).

P.S Are you trying to discourage me from taking the test so you have less competition I think I read a thread on here where you said something like that! Lol. Good luck
                      I would never do anything like that ...........good luck to you too.
                      I was just giving you useful information, because I know a couple of people that would rather finish school first than get on the job so they don't even bother taking test, oh well sucks for them.

p.s-good to see that I'm finally older than someone here lol.
                      Last edited by John2008; 11-19-2007, 06:40 PM.
                      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                        I would never do anything like that ...........good luck to you too.
                        I was just giving you useful information, because I know a couple of people that would rather finish school first than get on the job so they don't even bother taking test, oh well sucks for them.

p.s-good to see that I'm finally older than someone here lol.
                        Haha, only by 5 months. I figure I might as well take the test and see how far I get. If anything, I'll know what to expect in 4 years. Plus I'd kick myself in the *** if I could've gotten the job and didn't because I didn't take the test.

My friends brother is a NY trooper (retiring pretty soon though) and from what I hear there is nothing else like it- best job ever. I hope I can find out for myself.

Comment

• Are you told which Troop you will be assigned to before the Academy? Is there a "wish list" were you can pick which area's you prefer? Also is their a requirment as to how far away from your barracks you can live? Thanks in advance, can't wait to start the process!
                          It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
                            Are you told which Troop you will be assigned to before the Academy? Is there a "wish list" were you can pick which area's you prefer? Also is their a requirment as to how far away from your barracks you can live? Thanks in advance, can't wait to start the process!
                            There is a 'wish list' towards the middle of the academy but there is fine print... "For the good of Division". You will go where Division needs bodies... Think B,F and K. No requirement about where you live other than be a NY resident and make it to work on time. There's a SGT at my station right now that drives about 2 hours each way every day... he's obviously not staying.
                            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

• Originally posted by Trooper4985 View Post
                              There is a 'wish list' towards the middle of the academy but there is fine print... "For the good of Division". You will go where Division needs bodies... Think B,F and K. No requirement about where you live other than be a NY resident and make it to work on time. There's a SGT at my station right now that drives about 2 hours each way every day... he's obviously not staying.
                              Lets say I put down K, L, and F what are the chances of getting assigned to lets say Buffalo or Niagra? My fiance works in CT, she loves her job (makes a ton of $$$) and is not very enthusiastic about possibly re-locating.
                              It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
                                Lets say I put down K, L, and F what are the chances of getting assigned to lets say Buffalo or Niagra? My fiance works in CT, she loves her job (makes a ton of $$$) and is not very enthusiastic about possibly re-locating.
                                I am not a Trooper but I believe that Troop A, Buffalo area, is one of the hardest to get into. I would assume, like Trooper4985 stated, that you have a better chance of getting sent North then West.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7921 users online. 373 members and 7548 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X