300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GrayState View Post
    Someone told me that the final number for the 2004 test was something like 26,000 or 28,000 test takers after all of the military guys got done with their supplemental tests.
    I think that is about right.

And the last time, thewre was an "open enrollment" for the military supplemental exams. That is, they could apply at anytime. This time, military personell will be given a supplemental exam on various dates, but they must still apply by December 1. Anyone in that position, do not wait!
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
      I always highly considered being a trooper, but once I heard it would take 8-10 years to get back to the Rochester area I pretty much gave up on that.
      This is not true at all. And if that is the only reason you are not applying, I would ask you to reconsider.

In the last recruit class, some actually were assigned to Troop "E" (which includes the Rochester area) right out of the academy. They stayed there after field training and it became their permanent troop. Granted, this is rare.
      2 years is more common. But not even close to 8 to 10 years.

Comment

Someone told me that the final number for the 2004 test was something like 26,000 or 28,000 test takers after all of the military guys got done with their supplemental tests.
        Wow! It sounds like the NYSP is gonna need atleast another 9,000 - 11,000 applicants within this next month just to match the last test hopefuls. That's a tall order for just 4 weeks. I thought the last test would be matched by November considering all of the publicity the NYSP has been getting via the internet, television and newspapers. The Chief newspaper alone must have advertised the NYSP exam in at least 5 or 6 issues already. For the 2004 exam I recall only 1- 2 issues mentioning the exam.

I guess this is good for the people taking the next exam (decreased competition).
        sigpic
        IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• wow....Thats alot of people!

Is the NYSP test similar to the RPD civil service exam?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
            Wow! It sounds like the NYSP is gonna need atleast another 9,000 - 11,000 applicants within this next month just to match the last test hopefuls. That's a tall order for just 4 weeks.

One of our concerns is that many people are waiting for the last day or two to apply. This happened last time. So many people tried to apply in the last 2 days that the server crashed.

Don't delay, sign up today!

Comment

• Not sure about the color on the cars, but to add to your knowledge they wear gray to signify the neutrality of white and black and the black stripe on the pants is for fallen members.
              sigpic

Comment

• I've been debating on whether to sign up or not. My only major concern is that my fiance works in CT and if I was to get assigned all the way upstate relocating would cause some major friction.
                It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Sign up sign up sign up. You can always decline at any point in the process if you change your mind. If you don't take it now and decide you want to, you'll be waiting four years.
                    I'd go back to being single again before I decline a job offer. Im going to sign up tommorow

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
                      I'd go back to being single again before I decline a job offer. Im going to sign up tommorow
                      That's funny Big Will.

Let's just hope she don't read this thread.

You have to do what really makes you happy. Good luck.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                        One thing I have to say about NYSP is they must have a very strong union, your pay scale is awesome. Here in MD our troopers start at 40Kish (with take home) and don't make to the 60 w/o OT for a long time but the cost of living and taxes are better than NY.
                        Yes, the pay scale is very good. There's not too many depts. today where you can start at over 50k a year and make close to or over 100k w/OT after 5years. Another thing that is great about working for the state is you can transfer to any area you desire.

These are the main reasons I decided to go with NYSP. I have never run across one NY Trooper that said they didn't love the job.

Also, you can still find plenty of places upstate where you can buy beautiful homes with acres of land at dirt cheap prices compared to downstate and most surrounding areas. I turned down NJSP and PAPD even though they made 10 - 17k higher than NYSP. You couldn't touch the home and land size you will get in NJ or the NYC area compared to upstate NY. I have family and friends in NJ that pay over 8k a year in property taxes for less than an acre of land with mid size houses. Upstate in most areas you can find large homes on 5+ acres with 3 - 5k property taxes.

I have done my homework on most of the better paying depts. on the east coast and if I had the opportunity to choose again, I would still go wih NYSP.

This is just my opinion/preference and highly recommend people to heavily research any dept. before signing up for 20+ years of your life. Either way good luck to all no matter where you choose to go.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ATrooper2b View Post
                          That's funny Big Will.

Let's just hope she don't read this thread.

You have to do what really makes you happy. Good luck.
                          nah, she won't read this. I don't let her out of the kitchen J/K

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Will View Post
                            nah, she won't read this. I don't let her out of the kitchen J/K
                            That is too funny.

BW, you sure you wouldn't rather go into comedy.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Random question...do all troops/barracks still do partnered patrols from 0000-0500?

Comment

• Originally posted by OTVFD18 View Post
                                Random question...do all troops/barracks still do partnered patrols from 0000-0500?

Yes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6793 users online. 290 members and 6503 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X