X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ML75
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dirtyduce
    When I talked to the recruiter about not making the last class he said that the last person to make the August class was 7851 on the list to include all military and deferrals. I think your numbers are a little off. If you add backfills in to that your talking about another 10 to 20 people.
    I got the exact same number from my recruiter just after the class started.

Comment

• GrayPatriot
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by dirtyduce
      When I talked to the recruiter about not making the last class he said that the last person to make the August class was 7851 on the list to include all military and deferrals. I think your numbers are a little off. If you add backfills in to that your talking about another 10 to 20 people.
      Originally posted by mleggio
      I got the exact same number from my recruiter just after the class started.
      You guys must be mistaken because Atrooper2b is never mistaken
      Last edited by GrayPatriot; 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• ATrooper2b
        Harry Callahan
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by GrayPatriot
        You guys must be mistaken because Atrooper2b is nevermistaken

GrayPatriot, I was just repeating what I heard.
        Last edited by ATrooper2b; 02-20-2008, 04:57 PM.
        sigpic
        IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• John2008
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2007

You guys must be mistaken because Atrooper2b is nevermistaken
          LOL
          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• VZMan
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2007

I just wanted to wish everyone still in the process and those who will be taking the upcoming exam the best of luck. Unfortunatly for me I'm no longer in the running.

Due to being born with a cateract in one eye I couldn't meet the corrected standard of 20/20 in that eye. Even after two surgeries, the best I could do was 20/30. It is frustrating to say the least considering my other eye is 20/20 and my overall vision is 20/20. But hey, I guess I would rather be dq'd for a reason out of my control than an integrity issue or something from my past coming back to haunt me.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to continue rapeing Ma Bell's pocket book for another 20yrs.
            Last edited by VZMan; 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• GrayPatriot
              Forum Member
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by VZMan
              I just wanted to wish everyone still in the process and those who will be taking the upcoming exam the best of luck. Unfortunatly for me I'm no longer in the running.

Due to being born with a cateract in one eye I couldn't meet the corrected standard of 20/20 in that eye. Even after two surgeries, the best I could do was 20/30. It is frustrating to say the least considering my other eye is 20/20 and my overall vision is 20/20. But hey, I guess I would rather be dq'd for a reason out of my control than an integrity issue or something from my past coming back to haunt me.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to continue raping Ma Bell's pocket book for another 20yrs.
              Sorry to hear that. All of the SP members on this board root for you guys and it is never pleasant to hear someone not making it. I inderstand it is no real basis but based on your posts you seemed like you would have made a positive addition to our ranks.
              Best of luck...

Is this confirmed by the SP doctors or are you just assuming you are DQ'd?

Comment

• FUTURETPR
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2007

You guys must be mistaken because Atrooper2b is never mistaken
                hahahaha ...graystate and patriot have been very humorous lately. Is it something in the air?
                sigpic

Comment

• FUTURETPR
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2007

Oh well, guess I'll just have to continue raping Ma Bell's pocket book for another 20yrs.

VZMAN, I am so sorry to be informed of your bad fortune. I along with everyone else in this forum can really say you would have made a good addition to the ranks. I do hope you choose to stay with law enforcement and find something suitable for yourself that has less of a vision requirement. Best of luck.
                  sigpic

Comment

• DOAcop38
                    South central escapee...
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ATrooper2b
                    How true it is. I would give my left nut to make the money you can make in NYS other places. I wouldn't mind living in Montana or similar places for 80k + a year.
                    you can't compare that to the cost of living (NY state vs.Georgia) and the environment.Weatherwise, georgia has NY beat and unless you are talking western NY, the money you make just doesn't cut it.Most cops make $100K .yr in CA (avg pay is $54K to 75K/yr with some depts topping out at $105-110K,and some as LOW as 50-64K.yr) still,I wouldn't look down on say a Texas officers pay( avg $40K to 60K/yr) as that Texas guy can buy literally 2 1/2 times the home in TX (avg $120K for ,2400 sq ft home on a 1/4-1/2 acre) than I can in So.Calif ( avg home is 1,300 sq ft and $500K ); if you live on the "cheap" in NY and save your pennies plus invest,you CAN later live in montana with $80K/yr
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

• John2008
                      Forum Member
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by DOAcop38
                      (NY state vs.Georgia) and the environment.Weatherwise, georgia has NY beat and unless you are talking western NY.
                      I don't know if I could live in a state where there's not real winter and it's hot all year around, I miss the winter but it's on its way.
                      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• GrayPatriot
                        Forum Member
                        • Jan 2007

you can't compare that to the cost of living (NY state vs.Georgia) and the environment.Weatherwise, georgia has NY beat and unless you are talking western NY, the money you make just doesn't cut it.Most cops make $100K .yr in CA (avg pay is $54K to 75K/yr with some depts topping out at $105-110K,and some as LOW as 50-64K.yr) still,I wouldn't look down on say a Texas officers pay( avg $40K to 60K/yr) as that Texas guy can buy literally 2 1/2 times the home in TX (avg $120K for ,2400 sq ft home on a 1/4-1/2 acre) than I can in So.Calif ( avg home is 1,300 sq ft and $500K ); if you live on the "cheap" in NY and save your pennies plus invest,you CAN later live in montana with $80K/yr
                        This is where people are mistaken with NY State. NY state is around 49,000 sq miles and NYC is around 322 Sq miles. Once you go even a small bit north of the city the cost of living gets lower. I live close enough to the Canadian border and before the military base expanded you could buy a 4 berdroom 2 bath 2,000sq feet on an acre for $80,000. You could also have bought 100' of waterfront for the same property for $200,000. Now the prices have risen a bit but they are still incredibly low, especially in comparisson to anywhere near NYC.

I sent around 6 months in GA and it gets kinda chilly in the winter there too...

Comment

• John2008
                          Forum Member
                          • Jun 2007

This is where people are mistaken with NY State. NY state is around 49,000 sq miles and NYC is around 322 Sq miles. Once you go even a small bit north of the city the cost of living gets lower. I live close enough to the Canadian border and before the military base expanded you could buy a 4 berdroom 2 bath 2,000sq feet on an acre for $80,000. You could also have bought 100' of waterfront for the same property for $200,000. Now the prices have risen a bit but they are still incredibly low, especially in comparisson to anywhere near NYC.
                          Yup he's right, Life upstate(since I'm in southern NY) is less expensive than down here near NYC, for example I Live in Suffolk County if you were to buy a decent house be ready to spent 250,000+, for example my uncle has a decent size colonial house, 5bedrooms and 3bathrooms and in a good town with a good school system and it's on sale for 699,999 and his prop tax is around 9k a year, I did some reasearch and found a similar house in upstate new york in Candor, Tioga County for 264,900 with more land. so there's a pretty big difference between nothern NY and Souther NY near NYC.
                          Last edited by John2008; 09-07-2007, 08:59 AM.
                          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

• OTVFD18
                            Forum Member
                            • Feb 2007

So sorry to hear that VZMan. Good luck with all future endeavors.

Comment

• ATrooper2b
                              Harry Callahan
                              • Dec 2006

I believe you are referring to NYPD an other NYC agenices salary. Aside from a few small depts. in th NYC area like the Port Authority PD and Suffolk County PD most do not make nearly enough to compensate for the COL. I was referring to NYSP (this thread) and living upstate NY. If you go far enough up you will find you get a hell of alot more for your money. There you can find Texas like prices on most real estate and will make 80k+ a year.

Also, I never look down on any cop regardless of what they are making. A cop is still a cop no matter where they work or how much they get paid.
                              sigpic
                              IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Comment

• VZMan
                                Forum Member
                                • Jan 2007

Sorry to hear that. All of the SP members on this board root for you guys and it is never pleasant to hear someone not making it. I inderstand it is no real basis but based on your posts you seemed like you would have made a positive addition to our ranks.
                                Best of luck...

Is this confirmed by the SP doctors or are you just assuming you are DQ'd?
                                Unfortunatly my DQ was confirmed by the Division Doctor on two seperate occasions. I'm not one that accepts failure very easily but in this instance, its out of my control and I will have to throw in the towel I guess.

I already paid my fee for the upcoming exam and may still take it just for the hell of it to see if I can score better than last time. Plus one never knows what type of new procedures for vision correction may arise in the future.

Thank you again to everyone who was helpful in the past on here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12079 users online. 74 members and 12005 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...