Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have a chance???

Dear all,
    I have been thinking about LE for quite some time, however I am still finishing out college, so no commitments yet. What came to mind was that since thousands of these young soldiers will (probably) soon be coming home from Iraq, do civilians like me even have a chance at getting LE jobs within the next 5 years, or will most be give to these ex-military personel? Just a thought, and I figured I would get some input.

Best- John

There are already thousands of vets back from Afgan and Iraq, with many who have seperated from the service (myself being one of them). You stand the same chance now that you do in a few years. It is all about what you bring to the table...

Comment

If you don't try then you have no chance. If it's what you want to do go for it, who cares what the chances are.

Comment

Yes, of course you do.

Your still in college, and haven't even tried yet. Of course you have a chance, a good one. Believe it or not, police agencies are always looking to hire people.

Because we (generally) have a decent retirement, there is a constant turnover. It's actually difficult to fill positions with decent candidates. The economy is strong (under 5 unemployment). There is lots of competition among PD's for candidates, as well as from other employers.

Don't let the returning veterens discourtage you. While many of them will get hired too, this is a good time to enter the field. You have a great chance.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I was not trying to sound whiny or implying that I am considering "giving up." I was simply asking wether or not these military personel might be prefered over civilians, however you made some good points about the increased need for officers in general. I still plan on doing what it takes to get into the LE profession, don't worry!

Best- John

Comment

Unless one of the minimum requirements for the job is a certain number of years of military service, you should have the same chance as any vet, with one exception.

Law enforcement hiring is usually done from an employment list, which ranks successful applicants based on the order of their combined written and oral test scores. In addition, most agencies have something called Veteran's Preference, where they add a couple of points to the final score of a vet . While this may move them up a notch or two on the hiring list, it doesn't leave non-vets out in the cold.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Yes the people returning have a real life experience advantage, but that does not mean you can't make yourself just as valuable. Take courses on Forensics if your university offers them. Take some phototgraphy courses which you can sell saying they will aid you in being able to document a crime scene. Study a foreign language, or even Sign Language. Volunteer with a teen center, or with another community help organization. Find an activity you can put your heart into, and not do just because it will look good.

Any of these can potentially increase your chances without having military experience. Most departments will ask if you have any of these experiences/skills somewhere in the hiring cycle, and it could make you stand out!!!
              Some days you are the dog, some days you are the hydrant

"A liberal is someone who, when being mugged, tries to see things from the mugger's point of view. "

-Unknown

Comment

some agenices want the fresh college grad so they can mold them to the officer they want, not some old cop who is set in their ways, and some of the military people are trained to handle Iraq stuff, it is very different than handling city and people problems. you have a chance we all have a chance

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8688 users online. 398 members and 8290 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X