300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD and tattoo's?

Let me first say I know there are strong opinions on this subject, I don't mind visible tattoo's as I have some.

Today I was watching the news about the NYC subway threat and I saw a younger NYPD cop with his left arm fully sleeved in tattoos! I have never seen anything like it, he was fully covered from the bottom of his left shirt sleeve to his wrist. I thought that it was pretty cool that it was acceptable for him to wear short sleeve shirts. Does the NYPD have any hiring policy on this or do they accept hiring new people with tattoo's?

Sounds like a guy I worked with some years ago. That is if he hasn't been fired for cracking the skull of another cops handcuffed prisoner.

The old Rules & Procedures mandated that tattoos had to be covered. The Patrol Guide has no such rule.
    Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

BayCityBrawler, yes, the tattoo issue brings up lots of strong opinions. Not to start another discussion on tattoos, but I think I would make the choice to cover mine on duty (I also have visible tattoos, and if hired will have the two removed that are visible).

I know in an agency I'm looking at there is at least one guy with two full sleeves, which I find hard to believe, but a cop buddy of mine saw him down at the county jail the other night.

This is an aside, but I'm curious as to what is typically the issue that causes departments to create stringent tattoo policies? Changes in leadership, criticism from the public, etc?

Comment

I was in NYC about 2 weeks ago and saw several COPS with tats (anywhere from sleeves to one on the forearm) Just remeber guys-n-gals, law enforcement is constantly evolving these days. It may seem unprofessional on the outside looking in but it can also be a great ice breaker on the street or it may ease tensions when questioning. I'm not saying everyone should have tattoos but if you do have them they can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what environment you're in.
        "He pulls a knife you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way and that's how you get Capone. Now......What are you prepared to do?"
        -Malone-

Comment

Nicely put SD5326. I currently work in an environment where tattoos "were" frowned upon, and it's actually been a great experience. Co-workers with stereotypes about people with tattoos have slowly changed their minds, and it's really not a big deal anymore. We changed our policy on tattoos in many respects because I was the first director to come along with visible tattoos.

However, let me say that bias does still exist, and I know some part-time people are still told to cover their tattoos (and they aren't going to risk losing their job by questioning their supervisor). In addition, I know it has probably hurt my career chances in this organization.

Comment

We dont have a policy here and we have alot of guys that are sleeved. There has been talk, especially in the media about changing the policy but our union is fighting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal
              We dont have a policy here and we have alot of guys that are sleeved. There has been talk, especially in the media about changing the policy but our union is fighting it.

Can they have them visible while in uniform?

Comment

Ya, we dont have a policy saying you cant have visible tats while in uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal
                  Ya, we dont have a policy saying you cant have visible tats while in uniform.

Thats cool.. As someone with 2 sleeves, I can really appreciate Depts. that allow visible tattoos.. Maybe I need to move there..LOL The depts I am working with now will require me to cover them up while in uniform.

Comment

tats

Hows about a guy that has the word "Jihad" tattoed on his body. Their is a guy about to graduate from the nypd academy soon with that little gem. No sh8t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6321 users online. 363 members and 5958 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X