300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns over NYPD credit check

I am leaning towards appyling for the NYPD and am concerned over the credit check part of the BI. I'd file for bankruptcy(my credit is pretty bad) but since agencies frown on that too, any suggestions on how to approach this? It seems I'm stuck in a no win situation. I understand why they look at that but I've been a police officer in PA for over 6 years and my integrity has never been questioned. My credit history has no bearing on my performance as an officer. How hard of a time do you think they will give me?

I'd suggest applying and hoping for the best. However, on $25k a year I don't know if you'll be able to work off your debt easily. Good luck.

Comment

They are going to give you paperwork on your first meeting and in that paperwork you will have to list all debts over $5000. From that point on it will be an issue, especially in the psychological. Cops in NYC now are paid low and they have no tolerance for corruption. So, I think you get the point.

Try getting a credit counselor to consolidate all you bad debt and begin paying it off. Keep records of payments to show you are trying to clear it up.

Good luck

Comment

Well the $25,100 a year turns into what, $31,000 after 6 months and then soon $36,000 and so forth... 5 years is relatively quick for advancement to a cozy $59,000 a year, not even counting if you become a detective or do a lot of overtime.

My uncle has been in for 15 years and says with all of his overtime (he did a lot) he made around $85,000 for the year 2005. He said if you love working a lot and don't mind it, you make decent money at NYPD.

Comment

Originally posted by copbadge32
          I am leaning towards appyling for the NYPD and am concerned over the credit check part of the BI. I'd file for bankruptcy(my credit is pretty bad) but since agencies frown on that too, any suggestions on how to approach this? It seems I'm stuck in a no win situation. I understand why they look at that but I've been a police officer in PA for over 6 years and my integrity has never been questioned. My credit history has no bearing on my performance as an officer. How hard of a time do you think they will give me?
          Ok my question and conern to you is, why leave a job in PA to go to NYPD. When you most likely will be taking a pay cut and will have to attend their academy, etc.??? If your credit is poor, it has nothing to do with your integrity, however being in debt can lead to many things, which I am sure you know.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by copbadge32
            My credit history has no bearing on my performance as an officer.
            They look at in this perspective; It could potentially effect your performance.
            First, it shows something about your decision making process. I personally believe that it should be on a case-by-case basis, but some places will DQ you automatically.
            The potential problem, is temptation for pay-offs, kick-backs, bribes, shake-downs, etc. I do not begin to question your personal integrity, but from the standpoint of any agency administrator, it is a liability.
            “This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10252 users online. 374 members and 9878 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X