300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to Move South

I have Been In Law Enforcement since 1993, here in Missouri. I am tired of not being allowed to do my job. I have been led to believe it might be better in Tennessee or Georgia.

I would really like to do Drug interdiction somewhere. I have made a lot of arrests based on Consent or Plain view on Traffic Stops. I have always Viewed every stop as a present, I get to unwrap, most of the time it's socks, but sometimes it's something cool.

Some tips on agencies, people to talk to and such would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by purdinpopo; 09-30-2005, 11:30 PM. Reason: correction
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

What state do you want to hang your hat?

Comment

I am primarily looking at Georgia and Tennessee, My wife is against being near a coastline, she always as been so recent events do not apply, I just want to go to a department that will let you do your job, pays about 30k, and has a shorter winter. Up here you have to worry about who the person is, who they are related to, and then if they are okay to arrest then you worry about what they did. My major problem has been that I worry about the call and the offense first, and I usually never get around to caring who somebodies daddy or uncle is.

Comment

Try Metro Atlanta
        STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

Hey I am working on that big ol thick app from Atlanta PD but is it the right place, what about Douglas County? What about some of the smaller Muni's? I do not want to drag my wife and kids to another state, argue with another state about my certification, go to work and find out I hate the place.

Comment

Cobb has their own academy, so they might send you there to learn their way. Its a great Dept. You can check out www.gapolicejobs.com to check the pay for almost every agencie in Ga. Go to www.cobbcounty.org to check the dept out and there are links to all the Munis. My friend works for Doudlas PD. He thinks there is to much politics. Pualding SO is a good agencie. A few of my friends work there and they love it. Its cheap to live in that county. Plus, its one of the fastest growing counties in the country.

Sorry. gapolicejobs use to be free to view. Im sorry. Now it cost 10 bucks.
            Last edited by irishnut; 09-30-2005, 01:55 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

I hate it when people tell you they know the sheriff. I worked in a small county S.O. and I would always get that (they probable did know the sheriff due to the county population being 100K). This did not stop me from performing my duties in the same manner. I also worked for a large county S.O. were I cannot recall an incident were somebody droped a name. Good luck, just remember that the larger the department the less intense the politics.

Comment

I have worked for two Counties, both less than 20k total population, I liked being able to get to know people other than dirtbags, but you had to be on your toes constantly. You do a thing today and you did right, do the same thing tomorrow and your an imbecile. Unwritten rules, that nobody tells you about. Jailers stabbing you in the back because they want on the road, it's hideous. I just want to do what I am good at without having heartburn worrying that I might have screwed up.
                Last edited by purdinpopo; 10-01-2005, 01:46 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

I think you will take a risk about hating the job/place no matter where you go. You should have no problem getting a job in law enforcement in GA but even though it is a growing population, there are still small town politics. I will say one positive thing. Most of the people in the county that are related to the "big wigs" are not the people that cause trouble for me.
                  ""Liberals are liberal until something happens to them or someone they love, then they want the rules to change"

Comment

Originally posted by purdinpopo
                    I have worked for two Counties, both less than 20k total population, I liked being able to get to know people pther than dirtbags, but you had to be on your toes constantly. You do a thing today and you did right, do the same thing tomorrow and your an imbecile. Unwritten rules, that nobody tells you about. Jailers stabbing you in the back because they want on the road, it's hideous. I just want to do what I am good at without having heartburn worrying that I might have screwed up.
                    Henry County P.D. which is south metro atlanta is hiring right now. Starting salary is $32,476 with a take home car. Go to the Henry County government website and check the jobs section. A great place to work and live.
                    God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

hey FPS1588,
                      Just wondering, I saw that Henry County has a Sheriff's Office as well as a police Department. I recognize that the SO does the civil stuff and jail, but it appears to have an enforcement function to. Why does Henry County have two agencies with the same basic function? What caused the split? When this happened was the Sheriff ok with that? Is there friction between the two?
                      I am just asking, as I have seen this in other states and always been perplexed as to what would cause somebody to spend a lot of money creating multiple agencies that do the same thing in the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by purdinpopo
                        hey FPS1588,
                        Just wondering, I saw that Henry County has a Sheriff's Office as well as a police Department. I recognize that the SO does the civil stuff and jail, but it appears to have an enforcement function to. Why does Henry County have two agencies with the same basic function? What caused the split? When this happened was the Sheriff ok with that? Is there friction between the two?
                        I am just asking, as I have seen this in other states and always been perplexed as to what would cause somebody to spend a lot of money creating multiple agencies that do the same thing in the same place.
                        In Georgia, the counties that have county police and sheriffs deputies, the police is the enforcement in the county while the sheriff only handles the jail, court, and serving papers. Primary law enforcement functions belongs to the county police. Usually occurs because county commissioners want to control the police, so they form a county police department. About 9 counties out of 159 have county police departments.
                        God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

it would seem that creating a police department to enforce law and leaving an operational Sheriff Department that handles civil and Jail, would probably get more of what the politicos do not want instead of less. Do the County Commisioners seem to regret doing that, or did they want a more aggresive law enforcement agency in place of a sheriff's Department?

Comment

Im late into this post but I can relate, the political BS and garbage that us small town PD have to deal with it ungodly.

What I don't understand, someone please speak up, is why after 15 years of LE experience with the same PD I have to jump all of the BS hoops that new hires do. If the Agency offers a lateral transfer, I don't mind traveling to go to an interview, but to have to travel for agility, written, first interview, second interview etc. is riduculous.

someone throw some input in here for me please.

Comment

Just to exspand a little on what FPS1588 told you in Georgia every County by state law must have a Sheriffs Office. Counties that have a County Police force may handle the majority of enforecement issues. However the County Sheriff is the highest ranking Law Enforcement Officer in the County. Deputy Sheriffs have state wide juristiction County Police Officers do not. At any time the Sheriff can take over a case. The Sheriff Departments that are not full service can enforce all laws throughout the County regardless of the fact that the County has its own Police force.
                              STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6317 users online. 340 members and 5977 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X