300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I even bother applying?

Hello. Let me start by saying that ive always wanted to be a police officer. I am 20 yo and currently in school for criminal justice. I just got really serious about joining a few weeks ago since I turned 20 1/2 yo. After checking out some sites for different cities and finding these forums I realized how hard it is to be a cop. About 1 year ago i used to smoke MJ, ive smoked over 100 times in my life. I was wondering if i should not even bother applying. I plan on applying in 3 years that way ill have 1 year left of criminal justice degree, 4 years of no MJ use and have a clean driving record. My problems are my MJ usage. also I read that you cannot have more then 8 points and 2 accidents, Is that in your lifetime? or is it ok once they get taken off your record? THankyou.

All depends on where you want to apply. Each agency has their own standards as far as how long since your last drug use and to what extent it was used over your lifetime.
    sigpic

Comment

I dont know about all depts.. But the ones I have seen/applied to will not accept anyone who has smoked MJ over 100 times.. Most have a limit of 15-20 times or 10 years since your last time

But you never know till you apply

Good luck.

Comment

I always say apply, what can happen, they dont call you. Even if you only get to go for a interview atleast you got some a exprience from it.
        John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

I'd say start applying in a few years, different agencies have different standards. And if you look like a strong applicant in every other way, they may overlook those things, you never know..

But i'd DEFINITELY start considering another career to fall back on, because there is a pretty decent chance you won't get hired.
          Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

I personally would be horrified by someone with that background working with me, but I know that one of the largest agencies in Missouri will hire people who have felony dealing convictions. It all depends on the agency, how desperate they are and how liberal the city fathers are.
            Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

and how does this person with a felony conviction
              carry a firearm....?????

he must walk a beat with a nite stick......i know he's not in possession
              of a firearm being a convicted felon....

www.schackdaddy.com
              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Why according to the ATF section that covers eastern Missouri you can have a gun as long as it was not a crime of violence. Kansas City Office has a different Opinion, And yes there are lots of folks who have had that argument and scratched their heads a whole bunch.

Not to mention I used to live in Florida, One of my buddies from High School got a cop job at 19, his dad had to buy his pistol ammo, and the department required him to turn in his weapon at the end of his shift and schedule practice dates.
                Last edited by purdinpopo; 09-29-2005, 08:26 PM. Reason: add on

Comment

Well im really bumed out because I dont see anything else id like doing with my criminal justice degree. Does anyone have a idea for me? anything along the same lines as a police officer that i can start with and maybe later on after waiting like say 5years+ and having some experince i can apply to the police force. and thanks for the replys.

Comment

get a correctional Officer job somwhere, pay for your own academy and get it out of the way, you might be able to reserve with an agency , some agencies have looser standards on reserves. Then you are innoculated at that agency, and they may hire you for a full time slot if they think you are worth it even with your problems.

Comment

military

Join the military. It will require a waiver, but most services are hurting, so they will waiver pretty much anything. All services have law enforcement jobs. And even if you did not do a law enforcement related job, just the military experience will be a plus. Since police forces are similar para-military orgranization, with a similar command structure, a successful tour of duty in the military could be very helpful, plus there is veterans preference as well. It would not be a guarentee, but it can't do anything but help, besides giving you more job experience, and life experience.
                      Last edited by btrf88; 09-30-2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Sorry, man. With that much usage, I'd say your hiring chances are somewhere between slim and none ... leaning toward none. Many departments have a 15-20 use max.
                        d

Comment

I think in most if not all situations that many times of MJ usage would be an automatic disqualifier. It demonstrates a repeated pattern of illegal and bad behavior. It is different from dept. to dept.

If you are serious about being in the LE biz, I would find a few departments you want to seriously work for and go ask them (or their HR departments) what the requirements are regarding past drug usage.

Good Luck.
                          Mission Objective #1: Go home at the end of your shift.

Comment

If you are in Arizona you cannot be hired. AZPOST won't certify you if you've used Marijuana more than 20 times if it's under 21. This also applied to the Department of Corrections. Having said that, give it a few years, and you MAY be able to get on with DOC, as there is a waiver process in place that they may use. We really, really need people, currently 1300 officers short statewide, so you may be able to get on.
                            1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5162 users online. 317 members and 4845 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X