300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming more Marketable

Right now im going to a Junior College to get my AA degree in Police Science, after which Im going to transfer to USD to get my BS degree in Criminal Justice. During my summers off, I will be going taking some courses to get EMT certification. As far as real life experience goes, I'll be working for either a major hotel corporation as a Security Officer or for the San Diego Transit Security. Can any of you think of anything I may have overlooked to be more Marketable to a Federal Agency, specifically the F.B.I? Some people I have asked in the past said Accounting would be a better degree to hold. But math is my worst subject and I could not do that for four years.

Originally posted by SR-25
    Some people I have asked in the past said Accounting would be a better degree to hold. But math is my worst subject and I could not do that for four years.
    Or english, or psychology, or computers, or anything other than cj. Not a bad minor but I wouldn't major in cj.

Other than the obvious keeping your nose clean, get all the education and training you can and you might consider a local or state le agency instead of working security somewhere. I know of several guys that have climbed the ladder from local to state to feds.......not that you have to do that but it seems to work for quite a few.

I'd almost enlist in the military and do MI or something like that before I worked security in regards to gaining experience relating to law enforcement at the federal level.
    "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
    Matthew 11:28

Comment

Originally posted by SCREWED
      Or english, or psychology, or computers, or anything other than cj. Not a bad minor but I wouldn't major in cj.

Other than the obvious keeping your nose clean, get all the education and training you can and you might consider a local or state le agency instead of working security somewhere. I know of several guys that have climbed the ladder from local to state to feds.......not that you have to do that but it seems to work for quite a few.

I'd almost enlist in the military and do MI or something like that before I worked security in regards to gaining experience relating to law enforcement at the federal level.
      I would go in at the City/State level but Im only 19. This is the main reason I was considering Security at the moment. Since you have to be 21 to be a Sworn Police Officer. Thanks for the input about the degree by the way.

Comment

I second that in regards to "major in anything other than CJ." Especially with the Feds they value diversity. And having something other than a CJ Degree would help greatly.

Edit... this point of view in regards to me also reaches into traditional law enforcement; city, county, state, etc. What can you do with a CJ Degree should the unfortunate happen and you get hurt and are unable to perform the job anymore. Get something that is unrelated to L.E.; one it will diversify you from other candidates and two you will have something to fall back on.

Remember... you can get into police work with any degree... but there are next to no jobs that value you a CJ Degree.
        Last edited by ZGXtreme; 09-25-2005, 05:15 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Alot of people say don't major in cj, I did, still looking for a career (have been for less than a month, have a job though). Don't let that discourage you though, go to here http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/career/Majors/criminal.htm and this is a link to see what else you could do with a degree in criminal justice. On a fed level you might want to think about something else as suggested.
          Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves - Confucious

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5873 users online. 322 members and 5551 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X