Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCC Academy Acceptance Letter

Hey Everyone,

I just received my letter of acceptance into HCC's Police Academy . Anybody else attending the full time session starting NOV. 7th?

Currently I'm self sponsored, but I've been going through the process trying to get a sponsorship through Tampa. Hindsight is 20/20 , I should have attempted to obtain a sponsorship spot way ahead of the academy because I will just now be taking my PAT on Oct. 3rd for TPD. Anyone else going to be there for that?

I'll let everybody know how the orientation goes and if you guys have any questions, let me know.

Go order your uniforms from Martins Uniforms NOW. If you wait, you won't have them for the first week of class. Check and double check them, that they gave you the right stuff. Also, last I heard, they didn't sell the chlorofam shoes you need...i got mine from the Army/Navy Surplus store on Bearss Ave, between Bruce B Downs Blvd and I275.

Come say hello, I'm in class 504. Big guy, 6'4, dark hair. Make friends with Mr B, Mr Lawless' assistant - he's a good guy and cool as hell.

Comment

Outstanding Info!

You're the man!

That's exactly the type of input I need! I'll go check out the uniforms first thing. Is there a list of specific types of shoes/boots I need? When I go down to the uniform shop, they'll know how to hook me up right?

Another thing, I've been curious as to what firearms HCC and TPD allows. That's another big expense, but I sure would like the excuse to "have to buy" another one . The wife just rolls her eyes when she hears my bro and I going over different makes and calibers. I have a Glock 17 which I figure will be okay because it seems to be the generic "go to" LE gun. I also have a Glock 27 sub-compact which I'm sure is not allowed. I would like to carry an HK USP Tactical because my brother carries that and it's one of the best firearms I've ever encountered. I almost flipped over in my chair at the price of the holsters and duty belts though. I've also heard that HCSO is alot more diversified as to which firearms they let you carry. Someone even told me officers can carry their AR-15's in the car as long as its Bushmaster, Arma-Lite or Colt.

I've been reading other posts about PT and I've been training hard. Recently though, I heard from someone locally there is no PT. They weren't LE though. Is there PT in HCC, because even though I'm not the most athletic guy, I was looking forward to it. Currently I'm at 1.5 miles in 13:45 seconds. I'm 6'2" 215lbs and I'm trying to slim down a little bit to get within 12 min.

I am real nervous about the amount of knowledge we have to soak up in such a short amount of time. I've had decent grades the last couple of semesters in college, but I'm no genius by any means. Is there anything I could do to get a jump start on the courses? I was thinking about running down to the bookstore and getting the required materials so I have a head start. The reason I ask is because I want to do as well as I can because I figure TPD and HSCO might drop in to check how the cadets are doing. I don't have a guaranteed anything yet and I've heard the competition is really tough when it comes to getting hired.

I appreciate all the great advise you've given me so far! I'm going to go into the academy and give 110%. I feel really lucky to be in the situation I'm in and I won't take it for granted.

I'll stop in and say hey when I get there!

Thanks again!
      Last edited by Supe; 09-25-2005, 04:33 PM.

Comment

You're the man!

Flatterer!

Is there a list of specific types of shoes/boots I need? When I go down to the uniform shop, they'll know how to hook me up right?

They will know exactly what you need when you go to Martins. You know where they are, right? Intersection of Hillsborough and Armenia. Your orientation book will tell you that you can NOT have the Thorogood boots (the tall ones) that zipper up. Get them anyway. Get the ones with the air pockets in the soles. They're the most comfortable boot you'll ever wear. They feel like running shoes. I wore them for my academy, and nobody said anything.

I have a Glock 17 which I figure will be okay because it seems to be the generic "go to" LE gun.

If you shoot well enough with the G17 to qualify, then use that. I use the G17 as well.

I've been reading other posts about PT and I've been training hard. Recently though, I heard from someone locally there is no PT.

PT is only done during the Defensive Tactics portion of class (two weeks, give or take). I'll run you through it. You get into the room and drop your gun belts on the floor, then they make you run laps around the room. ROOM, not gym. The room is MAYBE 40'x25', so it's not that tough. You do 10 or 15 laps or so, and then bring it down to a walk. From here you do some arm stretches, wrist stretches, leg stretches, jumping jacks, etc etc. Sit-ups and push-ups. If you can't do them all, don't worry, the instructors dont want you to give up. Put forth the effort and you'll be fine. I couldnt do anywhere near the total amount of push-ups and jumping jacks. Listen to the instructors - they're all good guys and they're there to help. DO the stretches or you WILL injure out. Our insturctors were DeTroyo, Lopez, Kolka, Clarke, Sanchez. They're all good guys, and they'll work with you. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. They have a breakroom directly across from the DT room with soda machines, and they have a water fountain.

I am real nervous about the amount of knowledge we have to soak up in such a short amount of time. I've had decent grades the last couple of semesters in college, but I'm no genius by any means. Is there anything I could do to get a jump start on the courses? I was thinking about running down to the bookstore and getting the required materials so I have a head start. The reason I ask is because I want to do as well as I can because I figure TPD and HSCO might drop in to check how the cadets are doing.

The books you get from the HCC bookstore are BS...the only one you MIGHT use is the FL Statute book. The course curriculum will be given to you sometime during the first week. 3 big binders FILLED with info. It IS alot of studying, but you'll be fine. Form a good study group, and use good study habits. For me, writing the info down on notecards and then reviewing them helped a lot.

The only people that get checked up on are the sponsored people, and even then it's only the TPD sponsors. Our class lucked out...our TPD sponsors are all pretty decent, but some of the TPD sponsors i've seen in other classes are just pathetic.

I appreciate all the great advise you've given me so far! I'm going to go into the academy and give 110%. I feel really lucky to be in the situation I'm in and I won't take it for granted.

Work hard, play hard, form great friendships. Try not to get involved in any BS that classmembers might starts between each other.

I'll stop in and say hey when I get there!

Lookin' forward to it.

Comment

Just a quick question, what is Fl's firearm course like. How is it scored?

Comment

Originally posted by off_kimball
            Just a quick question, what is Fl's firearm course like. How is it scored?
            Course consists of 48 rounds. 39 is qualifying. 25 yards, 15 yards standing and kneeling, 7 yards, 3 yards

Comment

whats the application process like for the HCC academy? I'm looking to attend an academy in Jan. Do you have to go thru the background checks and poly again? Some I've seen some do this some don't...

Comment

Background and Poly

To get into the academy at HCC, you just need to score high on the F-BAT and turn in your application early in advance. If you get sponsored, then you need to go through the brackground and poly. I've been working with the TPD sponsorship for a couple of months, but I haven't made it to the background or poly yet. I've got the PAT on the 3rd of October.

I scored a 95% on the FBAT, and I asked the moderator if that was good enough. I was told that I would definately get in with a 95. I'm under the impression that as long as you get a 90 or above, you're good to go.

Everyone in admissions was more than willing to answer all of my questions, and that's really what motivated me to choose HCC as an academy. The first few weeks of paperwork I must have emailed them 20 times.

I'm not in the academy until Nov. 7th, but so far it's been great to deal with them.

Comment

Uniforms

On my way out to Martins on my lunch break! Can't wait to try on the Uniform. It will be a big reality check.

Tagman, are you sure about the boots? They sound kick*ss, but I don't want to drop some cheese into something and an instructor ends up making me run barefoot.

Did they give a reason they don't want you to have those boots? Or did someone else give you the same advice and they had no problem with them. If they feel like sneakers, it sounds good to me. I just don't want to get popped for not going by the book you know?

Thanks again for all the info. Good info on the qualifying. I go to the range pretty often, but I'm going to practice a lot with those distances. The 3 yards range confused me a little. Do they want us shooting in the same whole the previous bullet makes? What are some of the other firearms you've seen in class? I usually go to either the range on fowler, or Dale Mabry. Who wants to get a shooting study group going? Just an excuse to hang out and shoot. I'll let you know what time I go to the range. My neigbors and I are trying to go sometime this week. Usually we go once every 2 weeks. Oh yeah, are you full time or part time? Any HCC academy students that want to get together and talk shop at the range let me know.

Comment

Tagman, are you sure about the boots? They sound kick*ss, but I don't want to drop some cheese into something and an instructor ends up making me run barefoot.

Did they give a reason they don't want you to have those boots? Or did someone else give you the same advice and they had no problem with them. If they feel like sneakers, it sounds good to me. I just don't want to get popped for not going by the book you know?

It's totally your call, dude, but on orientation day, they told us not to use the zipper-up boots because they were less supportive than the ones w/o the zipper. That's another thing..in DT you can wear your boots or your running shoes....wear the boots!! It might be a bit more uncomfortable, and the boots are heavier, but if you were running shoes, your chances of injuring out are increased a LOT. They just dont have the ankle support that the boots do.

I bought the boots, and hoped I wouldnt get caught. The instructors saw them, commented on my air-filled soles, and I never heard anything bad about them again. Mine were made by Thorogood and I got them from the prev. mentioned army/navy surplus store. check your PM's!

Comment

Originally posted by Supe
                      To get into the academy at HCC, you just need to score high on the F-BAT and turn in your application early in advance. If you get sponsored, then you need to go through the brackground and poly. I've been working with the TPD sponsorship for a couple of months, but I haven't made it to the background or poly yet. I've got the PAT on the 3rd of October.

I scored a 95% on the FBAT, and I asked the moderator if that was good enough. I was told that I would definately get in with a 95. I'm under the impression that as long as you get a 90 or above, you're good to go.

Everyone in admissions was more than willing to answer all of my questions, and that's really what motivated me to choose HCC as an academy. The first few weeks of paperwork I must have emailed them 20 times.

I'm not in the academy until Nov. 7th, but so far it's been great to deal with them.

Do they have a web site or is calling them the easiest way to contact them?

Comment

Contacting HCC

I would have to say that emailing was usually the best way to communicate with HCC admissions once I estabished contact through the telephone. Your point of contact is going to be really busy, so emailing seems to be the most convient for them. Plus it gives you a record of the conversations.

You can contact the Law Enforcement Admissions of Office at HCC by telephone at (813) 253-7697. They will send you a packet of information in the mail that has an application, fingerprint card, course description, etc. You will also need to schedule a time to take the Florida Basic Abilities test which they conduct on site. They have a testing time scheduled once a month and to the best of my recollection the cost for the test is $30.00. The test is pretty easy, but you need a high score to be certain of obtaining acceptance. If you haven't taken the FBAT, google "F-Bat Miami Dade College", and you should find a link for a practice test. Or you could search F-bat in the forum because I know it's been talked about a lot.

Good Luck.

Comment

I took the FBAT about at year ago...test is a joke...scored a 99...Thanks for all the information...hopefully i can get everything filled out and processed so I can start in Jan. if they have a class...i'm looking to move down to the Tampa area in late December or early Jan.

Originally posted by Supe
                          I would have to say that emailing was usually the best way to communicate with HCC admissions once I estabished contact through the telephone. Your point of contact is going to be really busy, so emailing seems to be the most convient for them. Plus it gives you a record of the conversations.

You can contact the Law Enforcement Admissions of Office at HCC by telephone at (813) 253-7697. They will send you a packet of information in the mail that has an application, fingerprint card, course description, etc. You will also need to schedule a time to take the Florida Basic Abilities test which they conduct on site. They have a testing time scheduled once a month and to the best of my recollection the cost for the test is $30.00. The test is pretty easy, but you need a high score to be certain of obtaining acceptance. If you haven't taken the FBAT, google "F-Bat Miami Dade College", and you should find a link for a practice test. Or you could search F-bat in the forum because I know it's been talked about a lot.

Good Luck.

Comment

Outstanding score

It's always good to get a daily dose of humility. I thought my score of 95 was worth bragging about. Anybody ever get a 100? Anyone ever get a 100 on the TPD written?

If you're looking to move to the Tampa area, let me know. My current profession is in Real Estate and Financing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4269 users online. 234 members and 4035 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X