Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure about supervisor reference?

Greetings!

I am currently in the process for two local PD's. I haven't mentioned it to my boss, since at this point there is no guarantee I will be hired. I work in a highly political environment (office politics). I have had a successful career thus far, with over 5 years of service and some promotions. With that said, I have the same struggles that many folks face in challenging work environments. Just the day to day stuff that we all go through - no verbal or written reprimands, etc. In my current position I have had three supervisors, and although I like my current supervisor, his style of management has led to some differences of opinion between the two of us. In a nutshell, I'm not sure what kind of reference he would give me, and it concerns me as I enter into the BI. Although I have done nothing wrong (the important stuff mind you, we all make mistakes), it's a situation where many of the folks he supervises can not live up to his expectations, me included. I know that he will be contacted during the BI.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice?
    Last edited by karpaasi; 09-24-2005, 02:05 PM.

Originally posted by karpaasi
    Greetings!

I am currently in the process for two local PD's. I haven't mentioned it to my boss, since at this point there is no guarantee I will be hired. I work in a highly political environment (office politics). I have had a successful career thus far, with over 5 years of service and some promotions. With that said, I have the same struggles that many folks face in challenging work environments. Just the day to day stuff that we all go through - no verbal or written reprimands, etc. In my current position I have had three supervisors, and although I like my current supervisor, his style of management has led to some differences of opinion between the two of us. In a nutshell, I'm not sure what kind of reference he would give me, and it concerns me as I enter into the BI. Although I have done nothing wrong (the important stuff mind you, we all make mistakes), it's a situation where many of the folks he supervises can not live up to his expectations, me included. I know that he will be contacted during the BI.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice?

Just explain the situation in detail with your BI. I'm in a similar boat. A job I had a year ago decided that they weren't going to pay me $3000+ in promised expenses. I complained to my bosses and was suspended for 2 weeks for "insubordination". I subsequently self terminated.

Comment

Serpico, have you already been in the situation where you've had to explain this to your BI? If so, how did it go? Do you feel like it's a mark against you?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by karpaasi
        Serpico, have you already been in the situation where you've had to explain this to your BI? If so, how did it go? Do you feel like it's a mark against you?

Thanks!

No, not yet. It's inevitable that they're going to contact the job and it's pretty much a given that I'm going to get a bad reference. I might as well advise the BI as to what he/she can expect from that reference check.

It's a mark against you, but somewhere, there is a cop who was fired from a previous job. If you give your BI the rundown and they don't pass you, goto another Dept. Not the end of the world, ya know? Just expect to be grilled on it, that's what I've heard from several LEOs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5362 users online. 298 members and 5064 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X