300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems relocating for LAPD

Hey I just got hired by LAPD but had to defer to a subsequent academy date because I am relocating from out-of-state and I am having enormous probs finding a place to live. When I first started the app process, I looked at apartments to make sure it was do-able and it was. The prob now is that rents have gone up $300-$400 per month. If there are any other Socal LEO's or LAPD officers on here with advice, or any others in a similar situation wherever, I'd appreciate any thoughts.
    Last edited by cue928; 09-21-2005, 01:06 PM.

While you are in the process (not sure if you've tried this website or not)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

Also, http://www.apartments.com/

Good Luck.

Comment

could always try and look for a room mate as well... Its supposed to be the "hip" thing to do around there.....As my friends told me...lol
      THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Thanks for the links. I had tried apts.com before without much luck but the other one seems to have a lot of potential options. A lot of the prices on apartments.com are lower than what they actually have - several places told me they didn't update it often. Anyways, I had about two weeks' notice when I got the letter the first time so hopefully that will be enough time for the second time around.

Comment

You're going to pay around $1600 per month for a two bedroom, unfurnished apartment in one of the nicer areas such as Santa Monica. Given LAPD's starting salary, this is not an unreasonable price.

The San Fernando Valley area (Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Studio City, Woodland Hills, etc.) is cheaper but it's a lot hotter during the summer.

Because LA is a huge place, finding the best spots to live at the lowest cost is something that takea about a year. Bite the bullet, rent an apartment and then talk to your coworkers about their neighborhoods. I'll bet that at the end of a year, you will have moved to a great and affordable place.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Do you happen to have any of the names of complexes in Santa Monica? A lot of the places in SM that I've seen though start higher than that for a one bedroom, which makes the possibility of a roommate a lot harder. Also are you with LAPD?

Comment

Originally posted by cue928
              Do you happen to have any of the names of complexes in Santa Monica? A lot of the places in SM that I've seen though start higher than that for a one bedroom, which makes the possibility of a roommate a lot harder. Also are you with LAPD?
              I'm not with LAPD but grew up and spent most of my career working in the LA Area. I just retired so your career is beginning where mine ends. (G)

For LA area apartment listings look at:

http://www.rstrents.com/homes_and_ap...s_for_rent.htm
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                The San Fernando Valley area (Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Studio City, Woodland Hills, etc.) is cheaper but it's a lot hotter during the summer.
                You can take Woodland Hills off of that list. I just left a ONE bedroom that was 1400/month. The EAST SFV is more affordable, but not very desirable.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5330 users online. 312 members and 5018 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X