300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drug issue

I am twenty-two and about to graduate with my 4 year degree from U of F. I wanted to apply to LAPD but my pre-background check told me I was disqualified because of my drug history.
    My record is spotless other then these issues. And I haven't done anything within the past year.
    Am I doomed never to be in LE?

Originally posted by want2be
    I am twenty-two and about to graduate with my 4 year degree from U of F. I wanted to apply to LAPD but my pre-background check told me I was disqualified because of my drug history.
    My record is spotless other then these issues. And I haven't done anything within the past year.
    Am I doomed never to be in LE?

Depends on the dept, each one has their own policy.

What is your drug history?

Comment

If you're set just on LAPD, and they say no.... then no.

But as was already stated, Agencies have differing standards.
      What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

drug use

ya, it really depends on the department. start applying to other departments because each one has different standards. however, if you did drugs on a continues pattern and your only 22. then i believe you have to distance yourself for about a couple of years to show them that you done wrong and you have avoided yourself from that situation. good luck

Comment

Your biggest problem is that your a Gator

Just kidding

Comment

LAPD background standards

LAPD background standards have been in the local news recently. The Chief is talking about "relaxing" hiring standards, which simply means making LAPD standards concruent with that of other police depts, FBI, etc. The current policy supposedly DQs anyone who has smoked pot, period. Most other depts have a maximum usage of about 15 times, none in the last 5 years or so.

Although I don't know your situation, I would say that if LAPD changes their standards, you might have a shot. Otherwise, try other L.A. area agencies. The City of L.A. is recruiting for Port, Airport, and General Services Police Officers. L.A. School Police is one to consider. Other agencies you might look at: Glendale, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Inglewood, LA County OPS - Police, Burbank...

Good Luck.
            Focused Recruit

Comment

thanks for the help

I am 22 and about to graduate,

on the lapd prelims I admitted to coke and marijuanna in the past 2 years 1-2 times

and ecstacy over five years ago 8-10 times

with a history like that am I screwed, I don't want to lie but I've always wanted to be a cop. I guess other then the fact that it could DQ me I don't think that I've done anything wrong. I know it's illegal but I've never let it interfere with my life, lower my grades, or hurt an employment plus I really didn't do it that much.

Comment

I'm not a LEO or even remotely involved in LE activities, but I've read a number of threads like this and the idea I've received from those who are in LE is that you will probably need to wait a while before you're going to get on at a place with drug usage like that.

The only agency that I've really looked at that gives enough information in their application for the minimum standards is the FBI and I think the minimum standard is MJ < 15 times total, none in 5 years, other drugs < 5 times total, none in 10 years.

Initially I thought the FBI would have more strict requirements than local agencies, but it seems to be the other way around. I have heard people claim that their agency has lowered their requirements "because that's what the FBI uses," but who knows. Again, this is all second hand information, take it for what it's worth and search the forums for related threads. =)

Comment

want2be... the drug usage is going to be a problem anywhere you go, more than likely a DQ. The biggest issues your probably going to run into are that the usage has been so recent (2 years) but more then that (and this is a big one) you refuse to take responsibility for your actions. You are trying to justify your drug usage by stating that it never hurt you or your academics. You even acknowledge that its illegal but that you don't think its that big of a deal. News flash... if its illegal its a huge deal and you shouldn't be doing it if you are planning to have a career telling other people that they should be held accountable for their illegal actions.

I would say more then anything else this attitude is whats going to keep you from a career in LE and rightfully so.

My disclaimer is that I'm in a self sponsor academy and not yet an officer. I stand by what I said and feel confident that others will back up what I had to say but you can take it for what you feel its worth.
                  Day by Day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny...

Comment

The X is gonna kill ya IMO. The coke may not be a biggie after several more years but recently isn't gonna be good.

This is based on all the places I have applied. I did coke 1 time in 1988 and 1 dept. i am presently in the process with BARELY let that slide.
                    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

What I don't understand is: If you *ALWAYS* wanted to be a cop, why on earth would you ever do X, coke, or pot? All are illegal.

I know not everything is black&white, and a lot of dept's have different standards, but X and coke are huge black marks against you - if you always wanted to be a cop, you must've known the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by want2be
                        on the lapd prelims I admitted to coke and marijuanna in the past 2 years 1-2 times

and ecstacy over five years ago 8-10 times

I don't want to lie but I've always wanted to be a cop. I guess other then the fact that it could DQ me I don't think that I've done anything wrong. I know it's illegal but I've never let it interfere with my life, lower my grades, or hurt an employment plus I really didn't do it that much.
                        ok... you want to be a cop right?? now that you cant be a cop, is it going to interfere with your life???
                        it appears it has interfered with your life in a huge way...

also because you admitted the usage to one agency, every agency you apply with will double check your application packet with lapd's... if there are any inconsistancies, prepare to pay... so you dont have the opportunity to lie anymore...

the coke 1-2 and X 8-10 times is going to doom you, and if you were doing any kind of dope while you were an adult, do you honestly think you are competent enough to hold such authorities? i dont.
                        Last edited by VAsteve20; 09-22-2005, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VAsteve20
                          Also because you admitted the usage to one agency, every agency you apply with will double check your application packet with lapd's...

The coke 1-coke 2 and X 8-10 times is going to doom you, and if you were doing any kind of dope while you were an adult, do you honestly think you are competent enough to hold such authorities? i dont.
                          What is is with wanta on this board...Anyway you put it down.... VAsteve20 is right...You want to hold the line (hopefully the truth) on what you put on your original app...Because it is should be the truth for no other reason...

Now Doom is a strong word there are Agencies out there that don't care what you did as long as there has been no usage in the lets say past five years...Your choices are narrowed....but don't give up you will find the right match maybe in a agency that you didn't really anticipate...Do your research and good luck and compentent/qualified are not the same thing.....Do your homework and prove that once you are qualified, that you are competent that will be dertermined on the street in what kind of cop and partner you are....Good Luck, Pistola
                          Last edited by Pistola; 09-22-2005, 07:13 PM.

Comment

fwiw, on my department, ANY drug other than marijuana use OVER 6 years ago, (and not 8-10 times, either) is a no-go. You should have thought about your future when you were dropping X, snorting coke, and passing the weed. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I for one don't want to work with anyone who has your past, and present attitude about drug use. So much of what we do as police officers is the result of drugs. The fact that you were/are around people who do/did these drugs is part of the problem. I went to college, and had no problem distancing myself from the people who were doing what you did.
                            "For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in The Lord will possess the land" Psalm 37/9

Comment

Get a job as a dispatcher or something to let some time pass, most departments want you to be drug free for at least 2-3 years. From what I understand LAPD is going to relax some of their standards on drug use pretty soon. The LA Times did a piece on that maybe ten days ago. they are going to mirror the FBI's standards which are pretty much: marijuana: at least 3 years ago and no more then ten times and I think 10 years on things like coke and opiates. And never having used any hallucinogenic which may include X. Departments in southern ca want to hire boy scouts you may have better luck looking in the New England area.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3871 users online. 211 members and 3660 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X