Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA County Office of Public Safety

Recruits and Officers:

Does anyone have some insight to share about the L.A. County Office of Public Safety? I know who they are and what they do, but I'd like to know more about the benefits and drawbacks of working for this specialized agency, their selection process, their brass, etc...

Benefit: diversity in assignments around L.A. county.
    Drawback: pay is low compared to other L.A. area agencies.

What else?

Thanks.
    Focused Recruit

Their primary mission is the protection of county facilities, county employees and visitors to county facilities. Their call load is not that great so you will not gain the repetative expertise a city PD officer or SO deputy has. Because of this lack of expertise, major crimes will be turned over to local law enforcement to handle, making you nothing more than a first responder.

Because the pay is low and the job is not like being a "real" police officer, must applicants will be those folks who couldn't pass the local PD test, background or psychological.

With these limitations in mind, local law enforcement will regard you as merely being a building guard who happens to have police powers, and they will not consider you to be a peer.
    Last edited by L-1; 09-16-2005, 03:16 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
      With these limitations in mind, local law enforcement will regard you as merely being a building guard who happens to have police powers, and they will not consider you to be a peer.
      How do you feel about LA School Police or university police?

Comment

School Police

I'll throw my 2 cents in:

LA School Police patrol crappy hoods alongside LAPD and the Sheriff. With the rioting going on in schools these days, it's just as exciting as the "big dog" agencies. As for UCPD, might not be as exciting since no UC is in the hood, but you still have patrol duties 1 mile outside the campus. You're bound to get into some action, right?

I have apps in for LASPD and So Cal UCPDs. Still debating LAC-OPS.
        Focused Recruit

Comment

Compton schools are usually hiring, should be fun but the pay is junk.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5174 users online. 319 members and 4855 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X